What's new

Information And Experiences From Ikon Tech Users Please Gentlemen.

I own an Ikon Tek. I prefer aggressive razors, and the Tek certainly falls into that category, but it is not a razor I enjoy shaving with. The weight of the razor (or lack thereof) and the feel of the material and its finish are my chief complaints about it. I found shaving with it a little unpredictable, which may have something to do with either the weight or the finish. I will say that it is fairly priced if you are in the CONUS.

Edited to add - I only own the one razor from them and didn't experience any issues purchasing from them, but I find their lack of transparency about the metals they use off putting.

Maggards ships to the UK I received a Pearl Hammer from them recently. Hope this helps.

Yes I did try Maggards as they often come up as a good source. Sadly, althought they're a Stirling dealer they only seem to stock software and I couldn't find any of the razors on their site when I looked.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Yes I did try Maggards as they often come up as a good source. Sadly, althought they're a Stirling dealer they only seem to stock software and I couldn't find any of the razors on their site when I looked.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, hopefully you will find somewhere that stocks it and will ship to you. I will keep a look out for you.

I have the Tek. Turns out they changed the name in the last years from Tech to Tek.
It is a very aggressive razor and I like it very much. Alignment is a pain. Need several attempts to align. Bought the head only from Italy. Would actually buy a spare.

I have the Tek. Turns out they changed the name in the last years from Tech to Tek.
It is a very aggressive razor and I like it very much. Alignment is a pain. Need several attempts to align. Bought the head only from Italy. Would actually buy a spare.
I bought the head too. Shaved with it this past week. I won't be keeping mine.

Thanks for your very relevant feedback and impressions Gentlemen! Much appreciated.

An update. I requested a shipping quote for the item from the Ikon website, as the company requires from non CONUS potential customers.

I have not recieved a reply after six days now.

I find that rather sloppy from a business, and coupled with user feedback here, I have formed a somewhat negative impression on this razor, and the company that makes and sells it.

Thanks for all replies as always on product impression requests!
The individual who runs the Ikon website also sells them on eBay. Try eBay.

Late to this thread!
I have the Ikon Tek and the short comb. I bought the combo a few months back at the great price that Ikon was offering it for. The Tek is my most aggressive razor by far but it is controllable. If you shave with it at a neutral angle, it will feel like a blade on a stick. I use it steep in order to get the safety bar to actually touch my face (the only razor that I use steep). It's surprisingly smooth when used at that angle and very very efficient. As for the quality, I believe it has improved. I had one in the past and it had alignment issues. My current one is A-1!
I like it!
They're $29.99 right now on Ikon's website. At that price, everyone should own one!
LRod

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
My thoughts on the fit and finish are that it's a very nice looking, well finished razor but mine does have issues with blade alignment. It's not a major thing but I do have to be aware of it as if I just drop a blade in without checking it can be quite a way off perfectly centred.
^^ this

The weight of the razor (or lack thereof) and the feel of the material and its finish are my chief complaints about it.
Interesting. I think those are it's best attributes. 🤷‍♂️

I use it steep in order to get the safety bar to actually touch my face
Safety bar? What safety bar? :jump:

The safety bar on mine was rough and scratchy so eventually I learned to never let it touch my face.

Safety bar? What safety bar? :jump:

The safety bar on mine was rough and scratchy so eventually I learned to never let it touch my face.
That was funny:D
Interestingly enough, mine actually has a nicely finished safety bar!
The first one that I bought a couple years ago was a joke in terms of QC.
This last one is really well made!

By the way,
When I bought mine I never had to contact them. I purchased it without having any questions. I did the purchase through the website and they shipped the next day.
And about what they're made of:
I have no idea since they don't publish it. Seems to me that the head is some sort of aluminum alloy. Definitely not Zamac though!
The handles are definitely stainless and seem to be of good quality.
Again, I'd say that overall for $29, it's a super deal if you want a super aggressive razor!

Several years ago the Ikon Tek was my daily shaver for over a year. Predictable close, BBS shave, and predictable irritation. Switched to Rockwell 6S w/6 plate. As close a shave, and hardly any irritation. Didn't have a reason to keep the Tek in my den.

Any information about the behaviour and quality of the Ikon Tech would be most appreciated Gents.

Yes, I do know of it's reputation.

Any feedback from owners as to it's performance, physical characteristics and general user experiences much appreciated.
I'll be giving my Tek a go in the morning and post a reply to this, if I survive. Only shaved once with it before, I'll use a steep angle like with the R41, 2011. Big fan of Ikon, have SBS, X3, Short Comb, Tech (aka Tek) and B1 Standard. Don't use any of them on a regular basis, not sure why.

I'll be giving my Tek a go in the morning and post a reply to this, if I survive. Only shaved once with it before, I'll use a steep angle like with the R41, 2011. Big fan of Ikon, have SBS, X3, Short Comb, Tech (aka Tek) and B1 Standard. Don't use any of them on a regular basis, not sure why.
Light touch plus steep angle is a good combo with the tek. This razor has its reputation but its in fact a great teacher.

Light touch plus steep angle is a good combo with the tek. This razor has its reputation but its in fact a great teacher.
I took your advise and the shave went pretty well except it wasn't a fun shave. I could feel the blade right away, and more than I care to feel. The alum block registered around 2-3 on a 10 point scale. One small weeper for a BBS result, not too bad, just not all that comfortable. I can use my Rex Ambassador for daily shaves, on 2, 3, or 4 setting, but wouldn't try that with the Tek. I guess the only Ikon I really enjoy is the X3 slant, which I will try tomorrow.

I took your advise and the shave went pretty well except it wasn't a fun shave. I could feel the blade right away, and more than I care to feel. The alum block registered around 2-3 on a 10 point scale. One small weeper for a BBS result, not too bad, just not all that comfortable. I can use my Rex Ambassador for daily shaves, on 2, 3, or 4 setting, but wouldn't try that with the Tek. I guess the only Ikon I really enjoy is the X3 slant, which I will try tomorrow.
Going to give the Tek another try, this time with a Derby Extra blade and attached to a WCS brass handle that looks like my Maggard MR-5. This brass handle seems immune to tarnish, unlike my Karve razor.

Many thanks
Al, I believe the Stirling Stainless razors are unobtanium new. They had a last sale last year I believe. Was almost impossible to get to Europe by the way.

So I think BST is your only chance (and I would give it a look right now :wink2:)

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom