What's new

Info On Star DE Razors? Pics (illustrations provided)

Hi All,

In my endless browsing for good condition Gillette "old" style razors (my favorite hands down), I came across on Ebay a Star DE razor. The model in the Star instruction paper (shown below), I believe was made in the late 40s through early 50s. I believe its all brass but not sure. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone used one of these? Seems like a good catch and I'm a big fan of brass. The seller states the following:

"This razor is from a large set that were found in a bunch of warehouse boxes during an auction. They were packaged away for sale back in the 1940's and never left the warehouse. So they've been sitting in storage, in mint condition, for the past 60 years. The razor has never been used. It basically looks brand new like it was taken out of the box yesterday (because technically is was)."

I dig the back story on this and am excited to give it a try. -polaris

Attachments

• $StarInstructions02.jpg
    $StarInstructions02.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Star - part of the Gem & Ever-Ready trio that joined together in 1919 - The razors were manufactured in Brooklyn, New York. The parent company for these razors dates from 1906 and is called The American Safety Razor Company (ASR) - best known these days for producing razor blades under the Personna brand.

Star is the oldest of the three brands - The Kampfe Brothers manufacured the first US made Safety Razor in 1875 - it was called the Star Razor - the first in a long line of single edged razors, following the lines of the popular (on this forum anyway) Gem's & Ever-Ready's in design.

In 1942 ASR started producing DE blades, but they soon had to stop all blade & Razor manufacture for the war effort. This razor I believe dates from just after the war - late 1940's - at the time you would have been able to buy Star branded blades for your razor quite easily.

Here are some other links..

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208058-Star-DE-Safety-Razor
http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=38095

Top Bottom