What's new

Info on Em's Place brushes?

Hi there - I am currently looking for a travel brush and came across the items at Em's place. Unfortunately, there is little info on where the brushes come from. Can anyone tell me a bit about the quality of these brushes?

Specifically, I am looking at the following: "Turnback style super badger bristle with ivory color lathe turned handle travel brush. Imported from England. Marked with "Super Badger, Made in England."

I'd go for a Vulfix turnback, but it's on back order at classicshaving.com, and I can't find it anywhere else, and I'm travelling soon. So, if the Em's brush is comparable in quality, I'd probably give it a try. Thanks so much. Best - MM

Hi there - I am currently looking for a travel brush and came across the items at Em's place. Unfortunately, there is little info on where the brushes come from. Can anyone tell me a bit about the quality of these brushes?

Specifically, I am looking at the following: "Turnback style super badger bristle with ivory color lathe turned handle travel brush. Imported from England. Marked with "Super Badger, Made in England."

I'd go for a Vulfix turnback, but it's on back order at classicshaving.com, and I can't find it anywhere else, and I'm travelling soon. So, if the Em's brush is comparable in quality, I'd probably give it a try. Thanks so much. Best - MM

I recently talked to Lee at Lee's Safety Razors (http://www.leesrazors.com/brushes.htm) and he said he had several Vulfix turnbacks in stock and would beat anyones price. You can call him at (800) 503-5001 any time of day or night and he seems to be there. However, I was looking for the Simpson Major turnback which had a two week lead time. Be aware that Lee is a great guy but doesn't seem to think too highly of B&B members as a whole and finds many of them to be pretentious whiners (in other words do your best not to come across like a pretentious whiner). He also thinks that turnbacks are expensive toys but prefers the Vulfix over other brands in terms of value. Since I wanted the Major (an expensive toy, indeed) I looked around and found it in stock at Em's Place. She is very easy to work with and a very fast shipper. Hope that helps a little!!! :smile:

I recently talked to Lee at Lee's Safety Razors (http://www.leesrazors.com/brushes.htm) and he said he had several Vulfix turnbacks in stock and would beat anyones price. You can call him at (800) 503-5001 any time of day or night and he seems to be there. However, I was looking for the Simpson Major turnback which had a two week lead time. Be aware that Lee is a great guy but doesn't seem to think too highly of B&B members as a whole and finds many of them to be pretentious whiners (in other words do your best not to come across like a pretentious whiner). He also thinks that turnbacks are expensive toys but prefers the Vulfix over other brands in terms of value. Since I wanted the Major (an expensive toy, indeed) I looked around and found it in stock at Em's Place. She is very easy to work with and a very fast shipper. Hope that helps a little!!! :smile:

I don't know where that comes from. In my numerous phone conversations with Lee and countless emails, I know that he appreciates all of the business he gets from B&B. I have never heard him utter an ill word regarding any B&B member.

Randy

I don't know where that comes from. In my numerous phone conversations with Lee and countless emails, I know that he appreciates all of the business he gets from B&B. I have never heard him utter an ill word regarding any B&B member.

Randy

+1 I have always had great conversations with Lee.

Randy

+1 I have always had great conversations with Lee.

It took me by surprise big time with all the good things I have heard about him. I told him I was after the Simpson Major and he asked me why. I mentioned I had read great reviews on it here and that's when he started going after the forum in general (no specific members). It was something about strong negative B&B reviews of certain too much brushes losing hair, among other things. He said many of these products are hand-made by fairly small, family run businesses and the owners are deeply and personally hurt by negative reviews from B&B. Apparently this forum can have a significant impact on sales, reputation, lifes work, etc. Of course, bad reviews can hurt but they can also eventually have the positive end result in the creation of a superior product. Once I told him I had read nothing but positive reviews about himself and his store he backed off a bit. He had me on the phone for about an hour...he really was a very nice guy but was obviously frustrated and doing a little venting!!! He made it very clear he appreciated my business. Anyway, I guess I figured that by saying something maybe we might be able repair our reputation with him somewhat. :smile:

Interesting.
I haven't been around real long but the only brushes I remember people really complaining about shedding so much are Simpsons. For their price, history & reputation, I think people were surprised when their quality control was suffering for a while. I didn't think Simpsons was exactly a small cottage-industry-type company though. But they still remain one of the more popular brush makers on this site.

Maybe you just caught him on one of those days.....

Interesting.
I haven't been around real long but the only brushes I remember people really complaining about shedding so much are Simpsons. For their price, history & reputation, I think people were surprised when their quality control was suffering for a while. I didn't think Simpsons was exactly a small cottage-industry-type company though. But they still remain one of the more popular brush makers on this site.

Maybe you just caught him on one of those days.....

Simpson is the brand he mentioned. He did say the criticism is what prompted the owner to change the method of hair attachment. Sounds like the Simpsons brushes are better products for it. :smile:

I didn't think Simpsons was exactly a small cottage-industry-type company though. But they still remain one of the more popular brush makers on this site.

Yeah, I'm not sure how big the company actually is but the info and pictures from the Em's Place website makes Simpson's sound pretty small:

Some history: Alexander Simpson started making shaving brushes in the East End of London in 1919. He soon built up the business and in 1924, moved to Clapham where he established an award-winning reputation for his shaving brushes. In 1941, following the loss of his factory in the blitz, Mr Simpson moved his business to the West Country. Today the firm of A. Simpson & Co continues the tradition of making the world's finest shaving brushes, entirely by hand, in a quiet rural backwater in Somerset, using techniques that have not changed since the firm was founded.

The process: Each shaving brush handle continues to be individually turned on a lathe. The handles are polished and filled by hand with a 'knot' of fine quality selected Chinese badger hair. The hair for each knot is sorted, weighed and tied by a skilled craftsman who then carefully cements the knot into the handle.

Hand Stamping: After the cement has cured the handles are given a final polish and stamped by hand using traditional lamp black.

proxy.php

proxy.php

When putting together my travel kit, I could see no logic in bringing a different brush other than what I use everyday at home.

As long as your hanging around Em's Place, why not look at the plastic brush tubes and take one of your favorites you already have with you?

http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/travel_shaving_items.aspx

Top Bottom