LaToja Shave Stick
Lea Shave Stick
Lea Shaving Soap ( refill puck )
Barrister & Mann 1oz samples
Stirling 1oz samples
VDH Luxury
Cella
Haslinger pucks
Cyril Salter puck ( tallow based/lavender scented )
Tabac Shave Stick
WTP Shave pucks and sticks from Italian Barber
Speick Shave Stick
Ogallala Bay Rum ( pucks and sticks )

I understand that the B&M and Stirling samples are technically under $10 each. However, when considering how little soap you get for the price paid, they actually turn out to be the most expensive way to buy soap.

For example, a 1 oz Stirling sample costs $4.10 and a 5.8 oz tub costs $14.25. You would have to buy 6 samples at a cost of $24.60 to get essentially the same amount of soap as 1 tub at $14.25. Not exactly an economical way to make soap purchases.

I understand that the B&M and Stirling samples are technically under $10 each. However, when considering how little soap you get for the price paid, they actually turn out to be the most expensive way to buy soap.

For example, a 1 oz Stirling sample costs $4.10 and a 5.8 oz tub costs $14.25. You would have to buy 6 samples at a cost of $24.60 to get essentially the same amount of soap as 1 tub at $14.25. Not exactly an economical way to make soap purchases.
That is all correct.

However, economical was not the question. I like samples because I’ve reached the point that storing full sized tubs has started becoming an issue. I get around 35 shaves from a 1 oz sample , and in my rotation that might take a few years to finish. I haven’t finished a full sized tub of anything in a very long time.

* edit: I’ll also point out that I often bargain hunt. The last 1 oz samples I ordered from Barrister and Mann were 25% off so I got them for $3 each. My Old Spice mug got 2 sample pucks of Spice and it sure smells good. Stirling often has samples for $3.25.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Omega, I got one for $6
1716649511243.png

Or, Mogno (Ach Brito Mogno Shaving Soap - 90g - https://store.mensroombarbershop.com/ach-brito-mogno-shaving-soap-90g/) from a B&B vendor

1716649825691.png

The good options have been mentioned above. Seconding the following current production shaving soaps, that I currently use, available in the U.S.:
  • Best overall value: Arko Shave Sticks at $15-$18 for a box of 12 - tallow based
  • Best locally sold: Van Der Hagen Luxury for $4-$6 readily available at many local grocery and drug stores
  • Best triple milled puck: Razorock What-the-Puck when on-sale from Italian Barber at $3-$4 per puck or, for less, by the stick.
  • Best Value Soft Italian Soaps: TFS Ciotola Rossa "Red Bowl" for $3-$4 for a 125ml tub or Italian Barber Classic Italian for $3.99 on sale/$5.99 regular price for a 150ml tub from Italian Barber
  • Best Luxury Offering: Cyril R. Salter 100 gram puck for 4.50 British Pounds from Connaught Shaving. Same tallow base as D.R. Harris soaps with a nice scent. This is around $6 U.S. or $8 U.S. including shipping for four pucks. Ideal as part of a larger order if Connaught brings back free U.S. shipping.
Note that Derby shaving sticks, mentioned above, are likely no longer produced. I have a couple and they are similar to Arko in performance. Key difference is that they are a much harder soap that is not malleable for placement in a shaving mug like Arko is.

P.S. If Connaught shaving brings back free U.S. shipping for orders over 60 British Pounds they have a wide range of reasonably priced shaving soaps.

Last edited:
The big blocks of TFS.

See here for instance:
Agree great value for Europe at around 9 Euros. Unfortunately shipping from this site to the U.S. is at least an additional 39 Euros. Also they require a minimum order of 160 Euros to ship to the U.K.

Recall seeing this on Italian Barber a couple of years ago (has been out of stock at least over a year) for around $18.00. Haven't seen it elsewhere in North America in this size, just the 125ml red bowls.

Adagio Road - tallow pucks $4.99 a piece and isn't mass produced; my primary recommendation for artisan quality without spending a lot.

Stirling refill pucks.

Italian barber also has sticks a pucks that amount to a similar price/ounce as Arko but with better scents, though the soap quality isn't on the same level as Adagio Road and Stirling.

Then Arko, if you can get past the terrible post shave and scent the use of the same cheap scent oil that's used in many urinal cakes...a mental bridge many don't enjoy, but the soap is plenty slick.

Last edited:
Agree great value for Europe at around 9 Euros. Unfortunately shipping from this site to the U.S. is at least an additional 39 Euros. Also they require a minimum order of 160 Euros to ship to the U.K.

Recall seeing this on Italian Barber a couple of years ago (has been out of stock at least over a year) for around $18.00. Haven't seen it elsewhere in North America in this size, just the 125ml red bowls.

I’ll have to give one of those red bowls a try. Whenever I need to replenish my Italian croap supply.

I recall seeing those Kilos at IB as well. Just didn’t know enough about them at the time to feel comfortable ordering that much soap.

I wish IB would restock this and some of the other Italian brand shave products that they used too back then.

I’m not sure why they don’t? But none of the other places here in North America seem to sell the old school non mainstream Italian soaps and aftershaves like they used too.

Do you or anyone else on this forum know why?

Last edited:
I’ll have to give one of those red bowls a try. Whenever I need to replenish my Italian croap supply.

I recall seeing those Kilos at IB as well. Just didn’t know enough about them at the time to feel comfortable ordering that much soap.

I wish IB would restock this and some of the other Italian brand shave products that they used too back then.

I’m not sure why they don’t? But none of the other places here in North America seem to sell the old school non mainstream Italian soaps and aftershaves like they used too.

Do you or anyone else on this forum know why?
Unsure as to why. Could be limited demand. Recall IB clearing out the kilos at $13.99 and then going out-of-stock around a year or two ago. Link below to my thread where I reported on Red Bowl and other soft Italian shaving soaps. See details on posts #1,21 and 22 where I reported on a few different soaps.

Link to thread with soft Italian soap comparisons:

Top Bottom