What's new

Indulgence of the Night - August/ September 2011

Hurricane

Used Pat O'Briens's mix as Passion Fruit juice seems unattainable around here. Didn't seem as good as I recalled from the actual bar, but it has been many years.

Last night it was Dark 'n Stormy

My local was selling a pack of Black Seal (750ml) + 1 liter of Goslings ginger beer for a few bucks less than the Black Seal's normal price.
Black Seal is great, the Ginger beer just OK. Wish I could find one made with sugar (not HFCS) that has a serious ginger bite.

Manhattan

2 oz Rittenhouse BIB
1 oz Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth
Couple dashes Peychaud's bitters
Maraschino Cherry
Orange Zest

Yummy. It isn't classic, but I like to add a bit of orange zest for an additional element I like.

I have, as of late, been on a "cheap beer" kick. Local Walgreens began discounting their already unbelievably cheap Big Flats 1901 beer for only $1.99 a six pack. I picked up some last week, more or less as a joke for my cheapskate neighbor. Turns out it's not bad beer at all. I went back and bought four cases.

Started off with some Boddington's, then moved to some Disaronno, and now I'm on some honey Jack Daniel's. Good company makes it well worth it.

Honey, Honey

Evan Williams Honey Reserve
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

Evan Williams has a bit of orange with the bourbon and honey. I prefer this one on ice.
JD is the champ neat. Yum.
Do I hear Turkey honey calling? Gobble Gobble.

The Blackthorn Cocktail from the book Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails

2 oz gin ( I used Gordons)
3/4 oz Doubonnet Rouge (I LOVE this stuff)
3/4 oz kiirchwasser (You can pay a small fortune but Hiram walker makes a nice one)
Garnish with a cocktail cherry and lemon twist

Nice!
Tastes strongly of kirch with the burn tamed. I may use a heavier hand with the Dubonnet next time.

The Communist from the book Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails

What an unfornuate name for a tasty drink.

1 oz gin (I used Bombay)
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz cherry brandy (I used Hiram Walker)
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

Very nice. The cherry and lemon complement each other.
I'll do this one again.

The Revolver

A swanky bourbon cocktail

Ingredients
1 dash Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters
1 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
0.25 oz. Stirrings Espresso Liqueur
Garnish: twist of orange peel

Directions
Stir gently with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a twist of orange peel.

Stirrings needs serious help with their packaging. Their blood orange bitters is the size of a beer bottle and opens like one. In other words, no shaker top. How in the hell am I supposed to get a "dash" out of this thing? Very, very carefully.

Packaging gripes aside, a tasty drink.

Dubonnet Cocktail

2 oz Dubonnet
1 oz gin (I used Tang 10)
Lemon twist
Serve ice cold in a chilled glass

You'll find many different ratios. This works well for me, for this gin. Please yourself.

Top Bottom