What's new

Indian Wilkinson Sword VS Chinese Wilkinson Sword Blades Review

Caveat: YMMV..! I received a few Chinese Wilkinson Sword blades from @Ricksplace to try out. I was skeptical as to their quality & thought they were going to be just another cheaply made Chinese blade. After X7 DFS's that were very sharp & smooth I was impressed. I could easily have gotten another 2-3 more shaves from this blade but, decided to stop at 7 instead. I then tried the India Wilkinson Sword blade to compare them both. I used the same Gillette Tech Razor & the same shave soap to make the conditions even. The Indian Wilkie was no slouch in the DFS department either. However, by shave X4 I noticed the Indian slowing down some in the removal of stubble on my chin area. On shave X5 with the Indian made Wilkinson, I could tell it was about worn out so, I stopped at X5 shaves. I checked my Shave Log & found that the Indian Wilkinson had an average of X5 shaves each but, I did get some X6 & also some X7 shaves from the Indian blade. I ordered the Chinese Wilkinson in a 100 pack I was so impressed.

Nice! I am a little curious about Wilks, as previously I had tried the Indian ones, and frankly, I hated them. However, two things happened recently, I got my first vintage razor, a 1951 tech and secondly I stumbled onto some vintage Wilks. What I noticed is how non-aggressive that tech is, so it has me wondering if I should try them again with the Tech. But those chinese ones seem a lot better!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is there any difference in packaging between the Indian and Chinese versions, so folks can see which is being offered?

Thanks for the excellent review. My experience mirrors yours. I find the Shanghai blades feel sharper to me than the Indian blades. No nicks, weepers or irritation with either blade. They fit in well with my other regulars, Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium and Super Platinum Diamond Edge, Lord Silver Star, and Wilkinson Sword India.

Is there any difference in packaging between the Indian and Chinese versions, so folks can see which is being offered?
The Chinese blades I received were in 5 blade tucks, 20 tucks on a folding card. Indian blades came in 10 blade tucks, 5 tucks in a cardboard box. The individual blade wrappers are identical, as are the blade markings. I can tell them apart by a "3" on the Chinese blades, and a "1" on the Indian blades. YMMV.
I queried a few eBay sellers stating that I wanted Chinese made blades. One seller responded right away so I ordered from that seller. Many of the sellers' adverts state that they will ship whatever stock they have on hand at that time, and that the pics may not match the product you receive. Many sellers have pics of both 5 and 10 blade tucks. It's best to ask first.
I think there are several stores in the USA that advertise Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Shanghai). I'm sure another member will chime in...

Last edited:
Excellent review! Thanks. :a14::a14:

Must say that my favorite Wilkie was the old British! My second choice is the German. How would you say these compare??

Excellent review! Thanks. :a14::a14:

Must say that my favorite Wilkie was the old British! My second choice is the German. How would you say these compare??
I do have a few Germans left. I will test it next week & give my thoughts on it for you.

Testing has started on the German Wilkie. Shave #1 was real sharp & smooth so far in the Tech. I have been using the Imperial Barber soap which is VERY Protective on my neck area.

Indians say "saloon pack" and comes in 10-blades tuck. They also have some Indian writings on the top border.
Chinese comes in more plain (no "saloon pack" or other indian writings) 5-blades tucks.
I had @fast shaver's same experience, chinese are much better than indians even if germans are the best of the currently produced Wilkies. Stay away from the Wilkinson "Economie", supposedly made in Italy, those are the worst of them all.

Indians say "saloon pack" and comes in 10-blades tuck. They also have some Indian writings on the top border.
Chinese comes in more plain (no "saloon pack" or other indian writings) 5-blades tucks.
I had @fast shaver's same experience, chinese are much better than indians even if germans are the best of the currently produced Wilkies. Stay away from the Wilkinson "Economie", supposedly made in Italy, those are the worst of them all.
Thanks Mata! I am still going to use my Indian Made Wilkis as they are better than some blades out there.

I have used the German and Indian Wilkinson Sword and they both perform well on my face. I am getting a dozen shaves from both and were still shaving well but want to use something else. They are sharp and smooth enough for me.

I have used the German and Indian Wilkinson Sword and they both perform well on my face. I am getting a dozen shaves from both and were still shaving well but want to use something else. They are sharp and smooth enough for me.
Yeow! 12 shaves per blade is fantastic. You have to have a light beard. I am happy to get X4-X7 shaves per blade. If your the guy that does the Youtube vids, I really like them! The one on the Yaqi Razor induced me to buy one.

Wilkie German X5 shaves & I see no reason why it won't go to X7 shaves. In all honesty all the Wilkie blades are all sharp & smooth. The difference is only the number of shaves for each one. Wilkie Indian X5, Wilkie Chinese X7 & Wilkie German soon to be X7. YMMV of coarse.

Top Bottom