What's new

Incredible Gifts.Impossible To Choose!

As I have recently discovered, you are correct about the wording and logo. Sadly, these were leftovers from an old lot he had purchased years ago and he does not have any information.

Too bad. It would be interesting to see how an old late 1880's phone ties in to a straight razor company. Maybe it was that eras shave club? Maybe they specialized in taking telephone orders and were the first straight razor company to have a phone. Good stuff.

I just got started with straight razors thanks to Doc47. Since my start with one PIF'd razor, again, thanks Doc47, I've found/acquired four more. Once you get started the burn to look for more is intense. You've been given a great start!

"The Prize" would be the blade I'd start with. The blade looks to be in fine shape from the single picture standpoint. It has a round toe. This is good in terms of keeping one's ears during the learning curve. Don't try to "clean/polish" this yourself. Take Doc47 up on his offer... He knows what he's doing.

PM me if you decide you want to give one of those gals a real trial. There is no mystery to SR shaving, it only takes a commitment and 2-3 weeks of use/learning before you begin to see the difference between a straight shave and all others. :thumbup:

Doc, it is my current plan to use one(or more) of these rqzors to venture into SR shaving. I also have the W&B that I posted about a few months back and it was very clean when I got it. I have an appointment tomorrow at Portland Razor Company to have it honed; $15 seems to be a very reasonable price and I have read many good reviews about them...plus they are about 20 minutes from my house.

All of these razors have rust and staining and, if I understand correctly, they will need to be unpinned, polished and then honed to make them shave ready? As I have been reading and watching videos, some of the information you sent me, as well as some information from other members, it appears that some of the above razors may have too much damage and may be for display only?

Thank you for the continued encouragements and generosity...as long as the icy roads do not cause PRC to close, I should be attempting my first SR shave tomorrow.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
No you don't have to unpin any of them to make them shave ready. Looks like all of them are fine with just a refreshed edge. You CAN remove the scales, polish, etc, and a couple of them would benefit greatly therefrom, but shave ready just means that it is in all respects ready to shave with. Cosmetic stuff is a whole nother thing.

Any ones you pick of that lot will do you just fine. Honestly it would take me hours to decide which ones I want. Start out by setting them in order of most/deepest pitting to the least. A little pitting is quite acceptable as long as it is not at or very near the edge, but if you want to make it purty then you want the least possible amount of sanding to do. Then arrange them in order of edge straightness. A smiley razor is generally a very good shave, just slightly harder to learn to hone, so lean toward the straighter edges for now. Finally, pick the one that just connects to you the best, looks the most aesthetically pleasing, whatevah. Fourth, handle all of them. Put each of them to face, using different grips, and figure out which one seems the most natural in your hand. The tops in each category gives you four picks, right there, chosen intelligently rather than randomly. For a fifth choice, ask your friend which one he would pick if he could pick only one.

Top Bottom