What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

APShave.jpg

When I ordered my brush, I had ZERO expectations about the quality of the handle. Turns out to be the best $4 I could have spent on a handle, although I did give my $4 savings back as a tip. Feels nice in the hand although to be honest it is a bit lighter than some other handles I have of the same size. I'm happy with it, but I'm not too picky in the first place. If I was still traveling, I buy a couple more for backups.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My G5a arrived last night as well. I was going to put it in one of those $4 blemish handles as well. But these candy stripped blems were just really cool looking to me. They look perfect on two sides. But when you turn them 90 degrees in either direction, the layering gets super wonky, which I like. When you shove a bunch of colored resin in a tube, you never know what’s going to come out. Sometimes you get a happy accident. I like the looks of this one, even though Andrew did not, and put these out with blow out prices. And the faux Tulip shape is great as well. This handle feels solid and has a great weight. I like heavier brushes, so I am glad now I didn’t get the $4 one. I am very much looking forward to shaving with this tomorrow. I will soak it as recommended above. But just doing a few swirls dry, it seems to splay really well. It does feel very badger like. I will deviate from my current Omnibus to a more traditionally latherable soap so I can get a true feel for this brush.

C585B255-4DEA-4BB5-B25D-A1321843C77B.jpeg

03D932F8-5B59-4506-85C0-42E67AC8FA45.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Used the Candy striped G5a again today. It is a stiff brush. But it is completely usable. It splays okay. Whips up a good lather. I don’t think it approaches the luxurious face feel of a high end badger. Not even close. But it’s a good synth. Only time will tell if it holds up to my other synth brushes. I could see the potential for the novelty of this knot to wear off down the road. We will see.

Especially considering the price.
Used the Candy striped G5a again today. It is a stiff brush. But it is completely usable. It splays okay. Whips up a good lather. I don’t think it approaches the luxurious face feel of a high end badger. Not even close. But it’s a good synth. Only time will tell if it holds up to my other synth brushes. I could see the potential for the novelty of this knot to wear off down the road. We will see.

I recently received the G5C. I set it high, like the G5A, soaked it for 5 minutes or more, and it performed great. Very similar to the 2BED from AP Shave Co., which I believe it is replacing since the 2BEDs are discontinued (per Andrew). I am very pleased with it and the G5A, and while dumbfounded at the soaking needed, I love the way the brush works!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been using the G5A on and off for a while now. I dont think its for me. I have come to the realization that I want my synth to behave like a synth. The G5A behaves like a badger brush. And if I want to use a brush that behaves like a badger brush, I will use a badger brush. If I want to use a synth, I will use one of my many synths. I am partial to the Tuxedo and Timberwolf knots at the moment. I get the point of the G5A. Its just not for me. I will probably sell mine soon.

I have been using the G5A on and off for a while now. I dont think its for me. I have come to the realization that I want my synth to behave like a synth. The G5A behaves like a badger brush. And if I want to use a brush that behaves like a badger brush, I will use a badger brush. If I want to use a synth, I will use one of my many synths. I am partial to the Tuxedo and Timberwolf knots at the moment. I get the point of the G5A. Its just not for me. I will probably sell mine soon.

I get it. I was ready to move mine on, but then tried the soak and fell for it! I just added a badger brush, first one in the brush drawer since April 2016 when I sold my only badger. Been totally synthetic until DecemBoar, and now have a wonderful Manchurian badger. So I may re-evaluate my stance on the G5A, but as for now, I like it!

01_15 quasar set up.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I get it. I was ready to move mine on, but then tried the soak and fell for it! I just added a badger brush, first one in the brush drawer since April 2016 when I sold my only badger. Been totally synthetic until DecemBoar, and now have a wonderful Manchurian badger. So I may re-evaluate my stance on the G5A, but as for now, I like it!

View attachment 1394309

I have been soaking my G5A since day one. Not helping. Last shave I tried it without soaking. No difference. I think my issue is that I am hooked on Paladin badger brushes, and they are beyond amazing. The bar is just too high for the G5A to compete.

I used the G5b today for the first time. It wasn't what I was expecting, for some reason. It was quite stiff. As it was first use I'll reserve any further judgement. But the general issue I have with all three G5's is loft and splay. I need to push quite hard to get them to splay as they are all very dense brushes. My B and C are set with silicone so I may get the pennies out to get the loft higher.
Imagepipe_3.jpg

I used the G5b today for the first time. It wasn't what I was expecting, for some reason. It was quite stiff. As it was first use I'll reserve any further judgement. But the general issue I have with all three G5's is loft and splay. I need to push quite hard to get them to splay as they are all very dense brushes. My B and C are set with silicone so I may get the pennies out to get the loft higher.
I was originally intrigued with this series of brushes and wasn't until finally getting the specs of the knots and realizing there just isn't enough free loft to get what I need out of the knot to be usable for me... It's only about 4-5mm but that is what keeps the knot from being usable without having to mash it into my face!! I wish more vendors or Mfg's would release the specs of the knots they sell as it would be much easier to make an informed decision prior to wasting time buying / trying to only find out it won't work!!

@JCarr how do you use these brushes? Do you bowl lather?

I was surprised by the stiffness of the b knot. It's a big knot and for some reason I expected it to be soft and floppy.

I haven't set them permanently yet so I'll be playing with them to try and make them a little easier to splay.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
@JCarr how do you use these brushes? Do you bowl lather?

I was surprised by the stiffness of the b knot. It's a big knot and for some reason I expected it to be soft and floppy.

I haven't set them permanently yet so I'll be playing with them to try and make them a little easier to splay.

I bowl lather.

Top Bottom