What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (brushless, applied by hand - pump)
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Brush: AP Shave Co. Strawberry G5A synthetic
Razor: PAA Ascension DOC (aluminium)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Black Ice Licorice scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Lime splash

Decided to go a little light today and went with a razor that doesn't shave quite as close...fun razor though. I'd love to get it in stainless steel. DFS shave for sure. The winner this morning is this new brush from AP Shave Co. Heard so much about their G5A knot that I had to give it a try. It's amazing how much the fibers on this synthetic brush look exactly like a badger brush when they get wet...I mean...it's uncanny. Great brush! Whipped Captain Scurvy up in no time and the feel of it on my face was soft. It has tremendous backbone. I like a smaller brush so I chose a 24/50 loft, but the praise for this knot is legitimate. Because I purchased a fancier handle, it was a little on the costly side, near $80 with S&H...but...I could just have easily gotten an inexpensive handle, perfectly fine, with the G5A knot and cut that in half. Next up for me is their imitation horse hair, which I think is their G5B knot. Going with a less expensive handle for that one.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

View attachment 1374444
Is that his ebonite handle?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is that his ebonite handle?

No...it wasn't one of the latest drops. I think it was like...a leftover. It does have the penguin logo on the bottom though. Let me check the order on it and I'll post.

Order shows:

Strawberry Cream Handcrafted Shaving Brush Handle (fits 24mm, 26mm knots)

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So I ordered my brush with a 56 mm loft due to everyone stating 52 was too short, no splay, etc. Of course I get an email stating the most loft for that knot is 52. I did keep the order. Looking forward to trying this knot. And I like a lot of backbone with soft tips. So if this brush does at least splay when it needs too, we may have a winner. We will see about that next week when it arrives.

So I ordered my brush with a 56 mm loft due to everyone stating 52 was too short, no splay, etc. Of course I get an email stating the most loft for that knot is 52. I did keep the order. Looking forward to trying this knot. And I like a lot of backbone with soft tips. So if this brush does at least splay when it needs too, we may have a winner. We will see about that next week when it arrives.
I need to email Andrew, since he was telling me the absolute lowest he could go was 52mm. Is there really only one height he does in G5a or b? Seems weird….

This series of knots have intrigued me since they were released but it would seem no longer the case!! I am very specific and know what I like and none of this series will allow me to reach what I require so I will look elsewhere for now. I set all my knots and buy nothing pre-set but still it is what it is... I'm sure that Milton from TurnNShave will release something similar in the near future and since all my brushes have his knots in them and I'm completely satisfied with them I will wait for now and see. I wonder what the longest loft that can be set with the Muhle XL STF?

This series of knots have intrigued me since they were released but it would seem no longer the case!! I am very specific and know what I like and none of this series will allow me to reach what I require so I will look elsewhere for now. I set all my knots and buy nothing pre-set but still it is what it is... I'm sure that Milton from TurnNShave will release something similar in the near future and since all my brushes have his knots in them and I'm completely satisfied with them I will wait for now and see. I wonder what the longest loft that can be set with the Muhle XL STF?
Agree. I emailed Andrew and stated after spending a good chunk of $$$ at the end of the day I’ll have to buy my own knots and handles and set them myself. I’m actually sending Milton (TurnNShave) a handle today to try a 26mm boar, but even with him, he won’t set it lower than 50mm. Not sure how Simpson does it, but the Trafalgar T1 is set at 42mm and I love it and wish someone could make me something a little more upscale than that but with the loft set the same as that. Funny thing is after spending hundreds and hundreds, at the end of the day I’m happier with a $19 Trafalgar T1. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Agree. I emailed Andrew and stated after spending a good chunk of $$$ at the end of the day I’ll have to buy my own knots and handles and set them myself. I’m actually sending Milton (TurnNShave) a handle today to try a 26mm boar, but even with him, he won’t set it lower than 50mm. Not sure how Simpson does it, but the Trafalgar T1 is set at 42mm and I love it and wish someone could make me something a little more upscale than that but with the loft set the same as that. Funny thing is after spending hundreds and hundreds, at the end of the day I’m happier with a $19 Trafalgar T1. 🤷‍♂️
This is exactly why I started setting my own knots because they only set to their recommendation... I think knot Mfg's are also making knots with less free loft today compared to a year or more ago and that has something to do with it. My 3 TNS knots are set at 57-58mm and probably could've been set at 60mm if I wanted but that wasn't necessary. I had at one time 3 APShaveCo knots set in handles I had made and when I figured out that they just weren't what I liked and easily sold on the BST to recoup some $ and that's ok with me so I probably will never buy a pre-set brush ever, and especially knowing how easy it was!!

This is exactly why I started setting my own knots because they only set to their recommendation... I think knot Mfg's are also making knots with less free loft today compared to a year or more ago and that has something to do with it. My 3 TNS knots are set at 57-58mm and probably could've been set at 60mm if I wanted but that wasn't necessary. I had at one time 3 APShaveCo knots set in handles I had made and when I figured out that they just weren't what I liked and easily sold on the BST to recoup some $ and that's ok with me so I probably will never buy a pre-set brush ever, and especially knowing how easy it was!!
Exactly. I’ll likely sell most or all the AP Shave Co brushes, but I will still give them a fair shot before that. Let me ask you a question. With many handles the depth is maybe up to 17mm deep. I don’t have a drill press, but with a forstner bit, I should be able to drill out a further 10-15mm? Without a drill press is there an easy way of ensuring a level bottom floor of the handle using the forstner bit and setting a depth limit so it doesn’t go too deep?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Exactly. I’ll likely sell most or all the AP Shave Co brushes, but I will still give them a fair shot before that. Let me ask you a question. With many handles the depth is maybe up to 17mm deep. I don’t have a drill press, but with a forstner bit, I should be able to drill out a further 10-15mm? Without a drill press is there an easy way of ensuring a level bottom floor of the handle using the forstner bit and setting a depth limit so it doesn’t go too deep?
The Original BOSS 26mm Fan Milton sells has become one of my favorite synthetic knots:
20211206_111145~2.jpg
20211205_130133~3.jpg

This knot works with all the soaps I use. Lathers beautifully. Always feels great on my skin. Checks a whole bunch of the brush traits that are important to me. :)

I really doubt you won't find the G5a as having more than enough backbone even at any loft length.

I really doubt you won't find the G5a as having more than enough backbone even at any loft length.
Well the good news is that’s the one with the most backbone so it has the best chance of being a keeper. The brushes are beautiful so I’ll give them a fair shake before passing them on to a new owner.

I had my first real shave with my 26mm G5A set at 52mm loft. Before today, I did three very vigorous hand lathers. Even tested one on the face.

This morning, even though it's a synthetic, I put the brush in hot water before my shower just like I do for natural hairs. Couldn't hurt, right?

I previously said this was a dense brush. It is. Very. I suggested it doesn't splay as well as a 26 mm Quartermoon. It doesn't. It is soft. But.

I like this brush, certainly enough to keep trying it. True, it does not play like a Quartermoon, but the hairs are shorter. And it kinda sorta does splay. Not a ton, but again, the hairs are shorter. It was soft. It even had scrub while being soft!! Now that's new to me for a synthetic.

Just sharing my impressions. I was very happy with the first shave experience. I just don't think I've felt something like this on my face in either synthetic or natural. Sorry if this doesn't help anyone else right now. I'm also a little confused, but pleasantly.

*Correction. I wrote the hairs/fibers are shorter, twice. This is wrong. The loft is the same with my Quartermoon. The hairs on the G5A feel shorter. They must be stiffer or the density is doing something.

Unless you can chuck it up in a vise without messing up the handle I don't see any other way. I'll add that I've never heard of anyone doing this at home before but I have seen some artisans that will put a handle back on the lathe and do it before shipping it. Maybe you could ask that question in the Brush making sub-forum?

I got both the G5A and G5C. Been using them for about 2 weeks. I only face lather, and am including my other brushes as reference points on my current use patterns and preference. So here is my take, ranked in order of personal preference as below:

25mm Muhle STF knot (Rudy Vey) - set at 58mm >> Perfect knot. Splays easily, super soft, plush. Its basically does everything right.

26mm AP Shaveco Synbad knot - set at 56mm >> Less density and backbone compared to the STF, splays easily, super soft, less plush than the STF knot but still very good.

26mm AP Shaveco Cashmere fan knot - set at 55mm >> This has similar backbone to STF but much denser and a little scrubby. Splays easily, super soft and plush.

25mm Turn N Shave Angel Hair - set at 57mm >> Much lower density version of the 26mm AP cashmere. Very soft. For this particular knot, I can somehow feel the individual strand of hair when lathering.

26mm AP Shaveco G5C - set at 54mm >> Ultra dense, high backbone. Splays pretty decently despite how dense it is. I think I could probably push the loft a little more, but my brush opening at 27mm is too big to set it any higher without exposing too much of the plug. This brush is scrubby but less so compared to the G5A. If you are looking for something plush, look away.

26mm AP Shaveco G5A - set at 54mm >> Even denser than G5C. A lot of backbone. Very little splay. 54mm is the highest loft I can set this knot with. Of these 5 synthetic knots, the G5A probably takes the most effort to generate good lather. I enjoy this knot the least.

As you can see from the above, the G5C and G5A are not the typical synthetic that I personally enjoy. This is not to say they are bad knots! These knots are probably targeted towards shavers who crave the scrub and backbones of 2-band badgers (I have in my storage a Oumo Lotus Tip and Shavemac 2 band silvertips that I stopped using as they give me brush burns). Between the G5A and G5C, I'll take the G5C all day, any day.

My AP Shave el cheapo($4) white handle w/G5a knot arrived today. Took me about five minutes to turn my seconds handle into a first quality handle. There was a rough area on the handle so I took some Micro Mesh sheets to sand and polish the area to match the rest of the handle.
Can you post a pic when convenient? I was considering the small white or black ones but in the pics on APShaveco that looks like cheap plastic so I didn’t buy them

Top Bottom