What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

I went with an inexpensive handle and paired it with a G5B knot. Kept the price down quite a bit. Thanks for your help!

Dude, AP shave Co's 8 dollar black handle is probably my all time favorite handle. It's the least expensive one they have. They even had scratch and dents for 4 bucks a couple days ago.

Plus it's solid black so it goes with anything visually.

Dude, AP shave Co's 8 dollar black handle is probably my all time favorite handle. It's the least expensive one they have. They even had scratch and dents for 4 bucks a couple days ago.

I bought three handles on Andrews scratch and dent last weekend, including that little Moe style black for $4. Hoping it's solid and not hollow. Threw in the G5b and also a mixed badger/boar knot. I've admired his ebonite and I don't have that classic keyhole style in my collection, but don't really want to go there today in case it's still available.

I bought three handles on Andrews scratch and dent last weekend, including that little Moe style black for $4. Hoping it's solid and not hollow. Threw in the G5b and also a mixed badger/boar knot. I've admired his ebonite and I don't have that classic keyhole style in my collection, but don't really want to go there today in case it's still available.
Mine doesn't feel hollow

How is it in appearance? I was going to do that but it looked cheap plasticy like Omega type cheap.

I just read this entire thread just now. I ordered quite a bit from Ap ShaveCo during Black Friday. I wanted to compare the different synthetic fibers. Here's the list:

22mm faux horse hair
22mm Silksmoke
24mm Synbad
24mm Tuxedo
24MM G5b in beehive handle.

Did a second order to try some of the scratch and dent handles so I picked:

24mm G5a in Candy Stripe handle
24mm G5b in Candy Stripe handle

I'll be able to do an apples to apples comparison as they are in identical handles and same knot mm.

One thing since I read this thread is people were mentioning the highest loft they could get Andrew to do was 53mm which is odd as I was going the opposite direction in wanting the LOWEST loft (think 40-45mm) and he said he couldn't do it and said the lowest at least for the last two are 52mm. Still hoping he did the previous 5 brushes in the 50mm loft I specified when placing the order.

I like small handles and small loft so I did get 2 of the smallest handles he offered on the above 5 (Blue Lagoon handles). Wish that handle came in other colors as that's what I would have done.

My order shipped on 11/25 and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow. Hope these live up to the hype. I've joined the DecemBOAR month long BOAR ONLY brush use, so I may have to wait until January, but I may cheat and at least try these out on an off shave day. Stay tuned!

One other thing of note is why don't they offer these G5 knots in 20 or 22mm sizes? As I said I prefer smaller brushes, knots and lofts. My current favorite is the Omega Mighty Midget 40033 boar brush with it's dense 23mm knot and only a 48mm loft. To me that's as close to PERFECT as I've found yet, although I'd prefer the loft to be shorter still.

I haven't set my own knots yet, but may travel down that rabbit hole soon. Any recommended reading to get started down that road?

Maggard’s sells them in those sizes. I asked Andrew at AP about it and he said those smaller sizes sit on the shelf too long so he doesn’t really stock them in too many knots.
One other thing of note is why don't they offer these G5 knots in 20 or 22mm sizes? As I said I prefer smaller brushes, knots and lofts. My current favorite is the Omega Mighty Midget 40033 boar brush with it's dense 23mm knot and only a 48mm loft. To me that's as close to PERFECT as I've found yet, although I'd prefer the loft to be shorter still.

I haven't set my own knots yet, but may travel down that rabbit hole soon. Any recommended reading to get started down that road?

I just received a 26mm G5A in an ebonite handle. I asked Andrew for maximum loft since I face lather, and he said 52mm was the maximum. I knew this was a standard 2:1 ratio but went with it anyway. I cleaned it a little tonight (hand lather) and did a quick test lather on the face.

Good news first. Ahh, so soft. No pokey-ness here (sorry Edwin Jagger STF). And this is not floppy at all. Hallelujah. I so wanted to like AP's synbad, but it just bent over like a politician who's offered a large 'donation'.

The splay is almost non-existent though. If I push hard (see above note about softness so it's okay), it splays ... a little. Such an unusual synthetic for me in a nice but not quite right way. On this first test, I would say that this brush is still not for me. Makes we wonder about the G5C. However, because some have said the fibers may break in, I will continue to use a few times to see what happens.

Overall, the splay is not where I want it to be. I won't call it backbone or anything else—how about I just say it feels dense on the face. For comparison, as I wrote earlier, my favorite synthetic is a Turn n Shave 26mm quartermoon. This requires just a minimal amount of 'push' to get a splay (natural fibers just splay in general for me with regular motions). The quartermoon is still my favorite synthetic, but slightly inferior to my badgers and (broken-in) boars.

I think it's a top of the line synthetic knot though. Really, really nice. Almost what I want. Better than my Edwin Jagger XL STF. Better than Turn N Shave's 26mm SilverSynth.

Oh, what do I want? A synthetic that is soft and splays like a good natural hair brush. So, pretty much what everyone else wants. Except with ymmv, we all disagree on what is "soft and splays like a good natural hair brush." :)

Oh, what do I want? A synthetic that is soft and splays like a good natural hair brush. So, pretty much what everyone else wants. Except with ymmv, we all disagree on what is "soft and splays like a good natural hair brush." :)
If softness and natural splay is what you like, you might consider the Motherlode knot. It is the softest synthetic of the many I've tried. And it splays on demand. It does not have a lot of backbone, but I find it still works great for face lathering.

I just received a 26mm G5A in an ebonite handle. I asked Andrew for maximum loft since I face lather, and he said 52mm was the maximum. I knew this was a standard 2:1 ratio but went with it anyway. I cleaned it a little tonight (hand lather) and did a quick test lather on the face.

Good news first. Ahh, so soft. No pokey-ness here (sorry Edwin Jagger STF). And this is not floppy at all. Hallelujah. I so wanted to like AP's synbad, but it just bent over like a politician who's offered a large 'donation'.

The splay is almost non-existent though. If I push hard (see above note about softness so it's okay), it splays ... a little. Such an unusual synthetic for me in a nice but not quite right way. On this first test, I would say that this brush is still not for me. Makes we wonder about the G5C. However, because some have said the fibers may break in, I will continue to use a few times to see what happens.

Overall, the splay is not where I want it to be. I won't call it backbone or anything else—how about I just say it feels dense on the face. For comparison, as I wrote earlier, my favorite synthetic is a Turn n Shave 26mm quartermoon. This requires just a minimal amount of 'push' to get a splay (natural fibers just splay in general for me with regular motions). The quartermoon is still my favorite synthetic, but slightly inferior to my badgers and (broken-in) boars.

I think it's a top of the line synthetic knot though. Really, really nice. Almost what I want. Better than my Edwin Jagger XL STF. Better than Turn N Shave's 26mm SilverSynth.

Give it time. Mine took about 7 uses to break in. Unusual for a synthetic. After about the 6th use I soaked the loft in very warm water almost hot (taking care not to soak the glue bump) for about 5 minutes immediately followed by a rigorous palm lather and it opened up considerably... Though for all I know that would have happened even without a soak? In any case, it'll never splay as readily as a quartermoon. Just too dense

For what ever reason, thankfully, I never got into brushes. After reading through this whole thread, I figured I'd try one of the G5A knots in one of AP's el cheapo scratch and dent handles and pulled the trigger last night.
Lucky you for not getting into brushes and better yet you picked a winner with the G5a knot. One of the best ones out right now

Here is a quick set of pics of my AP Shaveco brushes that came in yesterday.

8019C44D-270E-43F7-B6CB-3AF332E16EFD.jpeg

L-R: G5b x 2, G5a

Haven’t used them yet so I can’t compare them quite fairly, but the G5a seems much stiffer than the G5b knot just going by feel on face, which is what I was hoping for. Loft still seems too tall for what I was hoping for. Strange some people were told by Andrew the highest loft setting he was able to do was 52 or 53mm and he told me the lowest he was able to set mine were 52mm. Not sure if that’s a limitation of the knot or handle, but I was hoping for 45-48 or at least closer to that.

Group shot:

I just read this entire thread just now. I ordered quite a bit from Ap ShaveCo during Black Friday. I wanted to compare the different synthetic fibers. Here's the list:

22mm faux horse hair
22mm Silksmoke
24mm Synbad
24mm Tuxedo
24MM G5b in beehive handle.

Did a second order to try some of the scratch and dent handles so I picked:

24mm G5a in Candy Stripe handle
24mm G5b in Candy Stripe handle

I'll be able to do an apples to apples comparison as they are in identical handles and same knot mm.

One thing since I read this thread is people were mentioning the highest loft they could get Andrew to do was 53mm which is odd as I was going the opposite direction in wanting the LOWEST loft (think 40-45mm) and he said he couldn't do it and said the lowest at least for the last two are 52mm. Still hoping he did the previous 5 brushes in the 50mm loft I specified when placing the order.

I like small handles and small loft so I did get 2 of the smallest handles he offered on the above 5 (Blue Lagoon handles). Wish that handle came in other colors as that's what I would have done.

My order shipped on 11/25 and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow. Hope these live up to the hype. I've joined the DecemBOAR month long BOAR ONLY brush use, so I may have to wait until January, but I may cheat and at least try these out on an off shave day. Stay tuned!
Group shot:

FCF0235F-EF84-4D0A-8B8B-8A658F68E1B4.jpeg

Back row L - R: 24mm tuxedo, 22mm faux horse, 22mm silksmoke, 24mm synbad.

Center: 24mm G5b

Front: 24mm G5b and G5a

Loft height comparisons:

CBE436B5-EDF1-4D9A-A19D-EAE8D8701583.jpeg

24mm synbad, Trafalgar T1, 22mm silksmoke.

The Trafalgar has a 42mm loft according to specs on the web and this to me is about the perfect size I was going for with the AP Shaveco brushes. The Trafalgar seems to have way more backbone, again something that was my highest priority, and I’m sure it’s due to the lower loft setting. If I had to do it all over again I would have just ordered the knots and handles and made the necessary modifications to the handles to set it 10-12mm lower as I know that’s what I was going for. Live and learn as they say.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (brushless, applied by hand - pump)
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Brush: AP Shave Co. Strawberry G5A synthetic
Razor: PAA Ascension DOC (aluminium)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Black Ice Licorice scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Lime splash

Decided to go a little light today and went with a razor that doesn't shave quite as close...fun razor though. I'd love to get it in stainless steel. DFS shave for sure. The winner this morning is this new brush from AP Shave Co. Heard so much about their G5A knot that I had to give it a try. It's amazing how much the fibers on this synthetic brush look exactly like a badger brush when they get wet...I mean...it's uncanny. Great brush! Whipped Captain Scurvy up in no time and the feel of it on my face was soft. It has tremendous backbone. I like a smaller brush so I chose a 24/50 loft, but the praise for this knot is legitimate. Because I purchased a fancier handle, it was a little on the costly side, near $80 with S&H...but...I could just have easily gotten an inexpensive handle, perfectly fine, with the G5A knot and cut that in half. Next up for me is their imitation horse hair, which I think is their G5B knot. Going with a less expensive handle for that one.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

A_20211207_085831.jpg

Top Bottom