What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

A question for thems of youse with experience using APShaveCo G5A and Mühle/Jagger STFv2, higher density Badger brushes, and “tuxedo” synthetic knots:

Do the fibers on the first two types of synthetic knots spread out like a badger brush might?

Asking because I have 24mm Silvertip brush from DS Cosmetics and it spreads out wider than the Maggards 30mm synthetic brush that normally gets used.

If they (APShaveCO G5A and Mühle/Jagger STFv2) do, it strongly suggests getting something in the 21-23mm range won’t leave me ugly crying by the sink.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.
Synthetics and badgers are different things. Cross comparing can be tricky. All of the brushes you mentioned will splay fine, but splay and bloom are separate attributes. If you are talking about bloom, then synthetics will bloom far less than badger... especially a dense badger. A synthetic will hold it's shape until force is applied.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
All of the brushes you mentioned will splay fine, but splay and bloom are separate attributes.

Thank you. The bloom on the brush I mentioned almost instantly becomes splay during use and covers a larger amount of skin with much less force than when I intentionally splay the synthetic so I thought it was a property of the density versus needing much less force to bend.

Thank you. The bloom on the brush I mentioned almost instantly becomes splay during use and covers a larger amount of skin with much less force than when I intentionally splay the synthetic so I thought it was a property of the density versus needing much less force to bend.

No experience with the G5A/B, but none of my brushes have ever “splayed” with use; they look the same the day they were purchased. I would assume this is a feature of all synthetics?

No experience with the G5A/B, but none of my brushes have ever “splayed” with use; they look the same the day they were purchased. I would assume this is a feature of all synthetics?
Correct...synthetics don't open up(bloom) after the first handful of uses like most natural hair brushes and they'll only splay with pressure. They more or less hold their original resting shape. Although synthetics will feel slightly more flexible, for lack of a better term, after a few lathers.

Oumo sells brushes using a German G5 knot. I assume they’re one and the same as the APShaveCo G5A?

Oumo sells brushes using a German G5 knot. I assume they’re one and the same as the APShaveCo G5A?

They are the same...although the Oumo's look to be more bulbous than the APs

It would seem that Al has imported a new G5C knot from Japan and is fan shaped...

First, the AP G5A is not to be confused with the FS G5 that was also released recently.

I'm amazed, boys. Amazed. The moment I picked up the brush it was immediately obvious just how similar the fibers are to the Muhle/EJ STF. Anybody who has used a STF will understand my enthusiasm. In fact, fiber for fiber, I am unable to distinguish and difference between the two. The following picture is an attempt to show this similarly...
View attachment 1313225

1)Softness: Just like a STF the G5A is supremely soft. Now, of course, any synthetic is going to have soft tips, but we don't build lather with just the tips. It's during splay that the face feel of a brush is decided and, just like the STF, the G5A is virtually just as soft while splayed as it is while painting. Not only is it soft, but it is a unique kind of soft.

2)Splay: I once more have to compare the G5A to the STF here. Most synthetics have a certain "all or nothing" kind of splay where, once applying enough pressure, the brush will abruptly go from not splaying to completely splayed. The G5A doesn't do that. It's more like a natural hair brush with a very intuitive splay that gives and takes in correspondence with the amount of pressure being applied. The G5A is tied with the STF as the smoothest splaying synthetic I've ever used.

3)Backbone: This is where the parallels with the STF part ways. The STF's only misalignment with my personal preferences was the backbone. They were a bit floppy for two reasons... loft ratio and density.

3a)Ratio: Where STFs were slightly longer lofted than other brushes of equal knot diameter, the G5A is a bit shorter lofted. I'd guess my 24mm as being between 50 and 55mm.
3b)Density: The only thing the STF lacked was density. Especially the non extra-large(25mm) variants. This has been addressed with the G5A in that it's much, much more dense. This density also helps with water retention which is excellent. Absolutely excellent. I suspect it has something to do with the non-linear fiber technology and surface tension, in any case...it's superb. Lather generation efficiency is fantastic even for a synthetic.

Beyond this, the brush and handle are well built and sturdy feeling, if not a bit heavy Very comfortable handle to hold. Though you can, of course, choose which ever handle you prefer from the site. The build quality is excellent and the brush has not lost one single fiber. Not one.

I'll sum it up by saying that the G5A is a STF on steroid, an AD killer and the single finest shaving brush available to the modern market.

Wonderful review! You have me thinking I need to redo my G5A. I thought it too stiff compared to SynBad and 2BED, so I pulled the knot a month or so ago. Now I think I may need to retry it. It is sitting idle with some other knots. Great thread, and I am sorry I missed it when it first appeared.

Wonderful review! You have me thinking I need to redo my G5A. I thought it too stiff compared to SynBad and 2BED, so I pulled the knot a month or so ago. Now I think I may need to retry it. It is sitting idle with some other knots. Great thread, and I am sorry I missed it when it first appeared.
Yeah it took longer to break in than any of my other synthetics. Set the loft as high as you can and it will be face lathering perfection.

@SterFry, I reset my 26mm G5A to a depth where the glue bump is just a bit below the top of the socket. And I let it soak, like a boar brush. The result?
source.gif

What a great knot! Thanks again for the great review, and I look forward to your review of the new Japanese knot.

Tempted. I prefer fans. But I'm not sure I would want "more backbone" than the G5a.
It doesn't have more backbone than the G5a. Here is Andrews description when I asked him to compare the A and C...

"Slightly softer tips and more splay than the G5A, the G5A is definitely the winner on backbone. Definitely a hard pick for me, I think the G5C might just be my new favourite but the two are very close in terms of ultra high quality performance!"
@SterFry, I reset my 26mm G5A to a depth where the glue bump is just a bit below the top of the socket. And I let it soak, like a boar brush. The result?
View attachment 1359519

What a great knot! Thanks again for the great review, and I look forward to your review of the new Japanese knot.
Yeah. It's the best face lathering synthetic on the market.

I have a 26 mm G5B on order, to be set in a Trotter Handcrafts handle. I’m in discussion with Mr. Trotter (Paul) about appropriate loft, but given that it’s a different knot than the G5A, and not just a black version of it, I wonder if a 52-55mm loft may be the way to go to keep good splay. I’ll write up a review once received and broken in.

I have a 26 mm G5B on order, to be set in a Trotter Handcrafts handle. I’m in discussion with Mr. Trotter (Paul) about appropriate loft, but given that it’s a different knot than the G5A, and not just a black version of it, I wonder if a 52-55mm loft may be the way to go to keep good splay. I’ll write up a review once received and broken in.
Excellent thank you. I wanted to do s review on all of them, but I could only afford one brush so I chose the C. I've been hoping somebody would get a B and review it.

Thanks for asking this. I have one on order from AP(if Canada post gets their head outta their butt) and if I like it I might order another from Heritage.

Top Bottom