What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

26 mm G5B dry-fitted at 53 mm; to be epoxied and mailed. This will definitely be my prettiest and possibly my best performing brush. Can’t wait!

D2EF3A16-9625-4DB0-96B8-94A375A31E0E.jpeg

Very curious about these knots. Since I face lather, my current favorite synthetic is a Turn and Shave 26 mm Quartermoon. It's been better than any other synthetic for me. Now, I have an Edwin Jagger STF. I can't use it to face lather--it's too 'pokey' and uncomfortable. It's great if you lather in a bowl and paint on the face, though

. I am always on the lookout for that synthetic face-latherer that's not floppy (sorry SynBad), splays well (sorry general Tuxedo), and isn't pokey (looking at you STF from a couple companies). Haven't found it yet (but haven't tried them all either, eg, the EVO).

In other words, keep the reviews coming!

Very curious about these knots. Since I face lather, my current favorite synthetic is a Turn and Shave 26 mm Quartermoon. It's been better than any other synthetic for me. Now, I have an Edwin Jagger STF. I can't use it to face lather--it's too 'pokey' and uncomfortable. It's great if you lather in a bowl and paint on the face, though

. I am always on the lookout for that synthetic face-latherer that's not floppy (sorry SynBad), splays well (sorry general Tuxedo), and isn't pokey (looking at you STF from a couple companies). Haven't found it yet (but haven't tried them all either, eg, the EVO).

When did you buy the STF?
There was a period where EJ's STF knots were shaped in a way that made them pokey.

I had two of those and hated them. The ones I have now are perfection. Softest and most effective synthetic brushes I've ever used.

Very surprised to hear you found the STF pokey. Was it the V2? Because it should be incredibly soft...a bit floppy, but soft. In any case, based on the description you just provided a G5 is exactly what you're looking for. Either a G5a or G5c... Probably the G5a if you like high backbone

Last edited:
I've had the G5a for a few weeks now. For a synthetic, it's a very good brush. Today I went back to the 2bed, which I think I prefer marginally for two reasons. Density and loft. The G5a is very dense and I have to keep a very deliberate pushing force onto my face when using it if I want it to splay. Related to that is the loft, which I wish was longer. I've ordered the most recent G5 offering (c?) and am hoping that it's not so dense and will be long enough for me to set it with a taller loft.
Imagepipe_31.jpg
Imagepipe_29.jpg

So, my G5c arrived today. I feel a little silly owning three APShave knots that are so similar, but they really are good knots and not very expensive. It appears to look more like the 2bed (pictured far right) than the G5a (far left). Feels very soft and a little less dense than the G5a. View attachment 1363986
From your snapshot, the loft looks larger on the G5C, if it's the middle one. Just when I thought I was done buying brushes... :001_unsur

My G5b is slated to arrive Friday. I’ll update with a review on Sunday or Monday.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the b. Beautiful handle you found.

I wasn't too sure about putting the c knot into a nice handle, so I found an old Omega handle in the bottom of my drawer that I mined the boar knot out of. The G5c popped into it perfectly with a real tight friction fit. I've used it twice. My first impression of the knot was that first use would be different than subsequent uses, that is, it would have a break in time even though it's not a natural haired brush. To me it's more similar to the G5a than it is the 2bed. They all lather extremely well. The new omnibus base from B&M recommends synthetic, and I've just ordered three tubs of the stuff, so this is a great trio to have. Pictured L. to R. G5a, G5c and 2bed. My preference still leans to the 2bed for its slightly taller loft, easier splay (not quite as dense) and the awesome handle I found for it. There's no bad choice here.
Imagepipe_39.jpg
Imagepipe_38.jpg
What's bad is the camera on a Blackberry!

Here’s a review of the G5B. It is a 26mm knot set at 53 mm as seen in the attached picture. I received it on Friday and gave it a good wash. I’ve since used it twice, once Saturday while face lathering and again this morning while lathering in a bowl.

My comparison is based on experience with the following synthetics: PAA Atomic Rocket, Peregrino, Solar Flare, and Phantom Aerolite, as well as the Simpson Trafalgar T2, the Mühle Black Fiber Vivo, and the Zenith N1.

You will note from the AP Shave Co description of the knot that the adjective ‘excellent’ to describe the knot’s backbone is in all caps. TAKE HEED! The force required to splay the brush is significantly more than any of the above 4 PAAs or the Mühle Vivo. I find the face feel to be most comparable to the T2, but without the nasty scritch. Unlike the T2, the fiber tips are very soft! This combination of soft tips and stiffer base provides for a very comfortable scrub. The fibers are also more dense than the Zenith N1, which supposedly has a 27mm knot; there’s more ‘bloom’ to this knot, but less so than my 26 mm PAAs.

The knot dries remarkably fast! A squeeze, a few flicks, and a few strokes against a towel and the brush feels dry. It seems to repel water.

The knot is great for bowl lathering and face painting (with the occasional swirling). It gives up soap willingly; it doesn’t hog like the Phanton Aerolite or the Mühle.

All in all, this is a great knot for those who prefer backbone over splay or floppiness, and dislike the scritch of the T2. It’s great for travel. I wish I had set the knot higher, maybe at 55 or 57, as I prefer a floppier brush. However, I’m happy for now and want to gain a bit more experience with it before deciding whether I’ll keep it.

Attachments

• 285815A6-8D97-48AB-8C82-FE4E5CA3B250.jpeg
    285815A6-8D97-48AB-8C82-FE4E5CA3B250.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 35
Here’s a review of the G5B. It is a 26mm knot set at 53 mm as seen in the attached picture. I received it on Friday and gave it a good wash. I’ve since used it twice, once Saturday while face lathering and again this morning while lathering in a bowl.

My comparison is based on experience with the following synthetics: PAA Atomic Rocket, Peregrino, Solar Flare, and Phantom Aerolite, as well as the Simpson Trafalgar T2, the Mühle Black Fiber Vivo, and the Zenith N1.

You will note from the AP Shave Co description of the knot that the adjective ‘excellent’ to describe the knot’s backbone is in all caps. TAKE HEED! The force required to splay the brush is significantly more than any of the above 4 PAAs or the Mühle Vivo. I find the face feel to be most comparable to the T2, but without the nasty scritch. Unlike the T2, the fiber tips are very soft! This combination of soft tips and stiffer base provides for a very comfortable scrub. The fibers are also more dense than the Zenith N1, which supposedly has a 27mm knot; there’s more ‘bloom’ to this knot, but less so than my 26 mm PAAs.

The knot dries remarkably fast! A squeeze, a few flicks, and a few strokes against a towel and the brush feels dry. It seems to repel water.

The knot is great for bowl lathering and face painting (with the occasional swirling). It gives up soap willingly; it doesn’t hog like the Phanton Aerolite or the Mühle.

All in all, this is a great knot for those who prefer backbone over splay or floppiness, and dislike the scritch of the T2. It’s great for travel. I wish I had set the knot higher, maybe at 55 or 57, as I prefer a floppier brush. However, I’m happy for now and want to gain a bit more experience with it before deciding whether I’ll keep it.
Excellent review Mehrdad!

Thank you for this thread, I have been ignoring it for two months it appears. Strange how the brain works, I didn't know what a G5A was so I didn't click. I have been wanting one of his handmade handles, but became frustrated that he doesn't just make them to order as well. I guess if I get lucky, I know what knot I a am getting!

Quick review of the G5c

I have the 26mm knot set at a 52-53mm loft length, which is the most Andrew was able to get out of it. The G5c is a bit longer lofted than the G5a and it's immediately obvious that it's a premium, quality knot with impressive water retention...a trait that seems consistent among the G5 line

Softness: The G5c tips are incredibly soft. Among the softest tips of any synthetic I've ever experienced... perhaps THE softest tips. Softness during splay, while still softer than most brushes, isn't quite as soft as the tips of the fibers. This is normal for synthetics. One of the characteristics of the G5a mentioned in my original post was that the G5a feels just as soft while splayed as it did while painting. I want to be clear that the G5c does not share this characteristic. At least not to the same extent. Don't misunderstand... the G5c is a soft brush while splayed. Just not quite as soft as the uber-soft tips.

Backbone/splay: This is an upper medium to high backbone brush, just like the G5a. However, it's a different kind of backbone. While the G5c remains quite a dense brush, it not quite as dense as the G5a fiber for fiber. However, each individual fiber of the G5c feels thicker and more firm than a G5a fiber. The result is two high-ish backbone brushes, but with different "types" of backbone. When splayed, the G5a feels like the fibers are bending about half way down the length of the fiber. The G5c, on the other hand, feels like the fibers are bending much lower down near the base of the knot which makes the G5c very scrubby. Scrubbier than the G5a. I don't want to declare one as having better or worse splay...just different splay. Very different. The G5c has a crispy scrubby feeling to it. It even sounds crisper and higher pitched when running your hand over the fibers.

Also, I feel like I should mention that this brush DOES have to be broken in despite being a synthetic. 5 shaves and 2 palm lathers later and it still feels like it's opening up

Excellent brush, gentleman. I doubt it will dethrone the G5a as my all time favorite, but it's a fine brush that I can easily recommend to anybody that likes soft, scrubby, firm brushes.

Quick review of the G5c

I have the 26mm knot set at a 52-53mm loft length, which is the most Andrew was able to get out of it. The G5c is a bit longer lofted than the G5a and it's immediately obvious that it's a premium, quality knot with impressive water retention...a trait that seems consistent among the G5 line

Softness: The G5c tips are incredibly soft. Among the softest tips of any synthetic I've ever experienced... perhaps THE softest tips. Softness during splay, while still softer than most brushes, isn't quite as soft as the tips of the fibers. This is normal for synthetics. One of the characteristics of the G5a mentioned in my original post was that the G5a feels just as soft while splayed as it did while painting. I want to be clear that the G5c does not share this characteristic. At least not to the same extent. Don't misunderstand... the G5c is a soft brush while splayed. Just not quite as soft as the uber-soft tips.

Backbone/splay: This is an upper medium to high backbone brush, just like the G5a. However, it's a different kind of backbone. While the G5c remains quite a dense brush, it not quite as dense as the G5a fiber for fiber. However, each individual fiber of the G5c feels thicker and more firm than a G5a fiber. The result is two high-ish backbone brushes, but with different "types" of backbone. When splayed, the G5a feels like the fibers are bending about half way down the length of the fiber. The G5c, on the other hand, feels like the fibers are bending much lower down near the base of the knot which makes the G5c very scrubby. Scrubbier than the G5a. I don't want to declare one as having better or worse splay...just different splay. Very different. The G5c has a crispy scrubby feeling to it. It even sounds crisper and higher pitched when running your hand over the fibers.

Also, I feel like I should mention that this brush DOES have to be broken in despite being a synthetic. 5 shaves and 2 palm lathers later and it still feels like it's opening up

Excellent brush, gentleman. I doubt it will dethrone the G5a as my all time favorite, but it's a fine brush that I can easily recommend to anybody that likes soft, scrubby, firm brushes.
Well said! I could feel the difference but couldn't figure out what to attribute the difference to. The thicker individual fiber on the G5c nails it, I think. Thanks for explaining that so well, and I look forward to my G5c breaking in a little more.

Quick review of the G5c

There is a vendor on another thread that recently received some G5c knots and he set one @53mm in one of his handles and said it was decent enough but he said there was still a little more that he could get out of it and will try that but no word back yet as to what that equates to... He too said the backbone was a little more than he liked but could live with it if he had to. I prefer all my handles to have 57-58mm of lost and I know according to the dimensions AL published I don't think it is attainable for that. He listed the a and the c to have the same height dimensions though... I think 55mm would be max and I think that is a deal breaker for me!!

There is a vendor on another thread that recently received some G5c knots and he set one @53mm in one of his handles and said it was decent enough but he said there was still a little more that he could get out of it and will try that but no word back yet as to what that equates to... He too said the backbone was a little more than he liked but could live with it if he had to. I prefer all my handles to have 57-58mm of lost and I know according to the dimensions AL published I don't think it is attainable for that. He listed the a and the c to have the same height dimensions though... I think 55mm would be max and I think that is a deal breaker for me!!
When I ordered the brush I told Andrew to set it at the highest loft possible, which he did, but did so conservatively in that I can't see the beginnings of the glue belt when I try looking down into the handle, which, granted, isn't much more than 2mm tops. But then there's glue bump to consider, too. Once a glue bump is more than flush with the handle summit you're not really changing brush characteristics, I would think?

In any case, I agree there is no way you could get 57mm out of the G5c...or G5a.

Note* Andrew said that of you want less backbone to go with the 24mm, as the loft ratio is not consistent going up in sizes.

Top Bottom