What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

When I ordered the brush I told Andrew to set it at the highest loft possible, which he did, but did so conservatively in that I can't see the beginnings of the glue belt when I try looking down into the handle, which, granted, isn't much more than 2mm tops. But then there's glue bump to consider, too. Once a glue bump is more than flush with the handle summit you're not really changing brush characteristics, I would think?

In any case, I agree there is no way you could get 57mm out of the G5c...or G5a.

Note* Andrew said that of you want less backbone to go with the 24mm, as the loft ratio is not consistent going up in sizes.
Well not to argue but you can get 57 mm loft if you can live with a little glue showing above the handle. @Graydog set my G5A brush at 57 and it so happens I used it for the first time this morning. See photo.
Graydog Brush.jpg

The brush was just as @SterFry said. This brush was used for a while by @Graydog before he sent it to me and as you can see it has bloomed out nicely. Splaying the brush while lathering was no problem at all. I used La Toja stick and face lathered and it worked very very well. I am going to have to shake more water out of the brush for my next shave though as I kept getting large squirts of water running down my face and chest. I have never seen a brush that can hold so much water. The face feel was great, no scritch. I hate scritch so all was well. The brush is very dense but if you set the loft as high as you can then splaying should not be problem. Now I don't mash a brush into my face so hard as to feel the glue bump but if you do lather like that then 57mm loft isn't going to work for you. I am going to also use this brush for bowl lathering as that is my primary lathering method. I have a few badger brushes and this brush is as close as you can get to a Badger with synthetic fibers. To me it has all of the benefits of a Badger but without being a wasteful lather log. Seven hours (edit 9 hours, my math sucks) after using the brush it is completely dry. I am pretty sure this will be my favorite brush. I took some comparison photos of some my other 24mm brushes.

L to R: WCS 24mm Beacon Silvertip Badger, 24mm G5A, 24mm Peregrino and 24mm Full Moon
G5A Comp 1.jpg

L to R: WCS 24mm Beacon Silvertip Badger, 24mm G5A, 24mm Peregrino and 24mm Full Moon
G5A Comp 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well not to argue but you can get 57 mm loft if you can live a little glue showing above the handle. @Graydog set my G5A brush at 57 and it so happens I used it for the first time this morning.
Yes, yes, yes! I have been waiting patiently for this report because my past experiences have been less than optimal with synthetic. I am going to have to go for the Maggards 22mm though, I hope it's at least 90% as good. I want to be proven wrong about synthetic so I can use it with Omnibus. Thank you.

Well not to argue but you can get 57 mm loft if you can live with a little glue showing above the handle. @Graydog set my G5A brush at 57 and it so happens I used it for the first time this morning. See photo.
View attachment 1370656

The brush was just as @SterFry said. This brush was used for a while by @Graydog before he sent it to me and as you can see it has bloomed out nicely. Splaying the brush while lathering was no problem at all. I used La Toja stick and face lathered and it worked very very well. I am going to have to shake more water out of the brush for my next shave though as I kept getting large squirts of water running down my face and chest. I have never seen a brush that can hold so much water. The face feel was great, no scritch. I hate scritch so all was well. The brush is very dense but if you set the loft as high as you can then splaying should not be problem. Now I don't mash a brush into my face so hard as to feel the glue bump but if you do lather like that then 57mm loft isn't going to work for you. I am going to also use this brush for bowl lathering as that is my primary lathering method. I have a few badger brushes and this brush is as close as you can get to a Badger with synthetic fibers. To me it has all of the benefits of a Badger but without being a wasteful lather log. Seven hours (edit 9 hours, my math sucks) after using the brush it is completely dry. I am pretty sure this will be my favorite brush. I took some comparison photos of some my other 24mm brushes.

View attachment 1370662

View attachment 1370663
Great report, thank you!

View attachment 1370656

View attachment 1370662

View attachment 1370663
You see!?!? They're incredible!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
On the strength of this thread, I ordered one of these G5A AP brushes. It wasn't cheap. Just wondering if it's wasted on me as I build lather in a bowl and then paint it on.

On the strength of this thread, I ordered one of these G5A AP brushes. It wasn't cheap. Just wondering if it's wasted on me as I build lather in a bowl and then paint it on.
I hate to tell, there may still be time to change, but he is dropping more handmade handles tomorrow. A lot more this time.

JCarr

I hate to tell, there may still be time to change, but he is dropping more handmade handles tomorrow. A lot more this time.

Appreciate the reply. I ordered the brush about two weeks ago. Tracking shows it's only a town away from me now. I'm just hoping I have a positive experience with it. In all honesty, I have a lot of synthetic brushes and a few stand out, but having a "WOW" moment with a brush just has never really happened for me like it has with soaps, creams, razors and blades. All the brushes I have are fully capable of getting the job done. I'm partial to my Semogue Pharos brushes because they have backbone and are soft. They freely release the lather onto my face without a lot of hassle. I'm not even sure what knot I favor: Tuxedo, Plissoft, Synbad, Cashmere, Timberwolf. I believe the Pharos brushes are imitation horse hair...which I noticed AP has a G5 knot that mimics that. Maybe I should pick that one up.

I got a 26 mm G5A knot from the second batch. It has a little more loft than the prior (and the 24 mm I have) but still not enough splay for my taste. I have not even used it, and probably never will. Both knots will likely go to BST. I like the fibers, just want more loft.

I got a 26 mm G5A knot from the second batch. It has a little more loft than the prior (and the 24 mm I have) but still not enough splay for my taste. I have not even used it, and probably never will. Both knots will likely go to BST. I like the fibers, just want more loft.
Do you think the 22mm from Maggards with 52-54mm loft will do the trick? I know the knot isn't quite as good supposedly, but that is what I am planning to do when I get my new handle.

Tell ya threads like this are why it will never end :) hahahahahahah
got a italian barber tri colored handle Plissoft coming as a start in synthetic have one I got off amazon when I started that sucks its a viking brand ? Like the handle hate the brush using a semogue owners badger was about $80 ? love the thing I have a proraso boar not a fan of really to big but excited to try some nice synthetics so will have to look into one or two of these :) they look really nice

Appreciate the reply. I ordered the brush about two weeks ago. Tracking shows it's only a town away from me now. I'm just hoping I have a positive experience with it. In all honesty, I have a lot of synthetic brushes and a few stand out, but having a "WOW" moment with a brush just has never really happened for me like it has with soaps, creams, razors and blades. All the brushes I have are fully capable of getting the job done. I'm partial to my Semogue Pharos brushes because they have backbone and are soft. They freely release the lather onto my face without a lot of hassle. I'm not even sure what knot I favor: Tuxedo, Plissoft, Synbad, Cashmere, Timberwolf. I believe the Pharos brushes are imitation horse hair...which I noticed AP has a G5 knot that mimics that. Maybe I should pick that one up.
I think you'll like it. Did you set the loft high?

Do you think the 22mm from Maggards with 52-54mm loft will do the trick? I know the knot isn't quite as good supposedly, but that is what I am planning to do when I get my new handle.
I have never handled one so I couldn't say. It's not just loft, the glue bump size matters - the free loft.

Thanks for this info. Will be logging on this evening to see if I can put together a G5B with one of the handles listed as "Coming Soon".
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

On a side note (but still on topic), I had put a 26mm G5A in a handle, pulled it as it was too short for my initial liking. I put it in another handle with some rubber gaskets. Still no joy. Pulled it again. I think I repeated it a third time, with a different number of spacers used, and pulled it again! I was all set to get rid of it when @SterFry started this thread, and mentioned this is a synthetic that needs a pre-soak and maybe even breaking in. Unheard of! Crazy talk! But I loved the feel of the knot, so I set it again, looking to get the top of the glue base just below the lip of the handle socket using anything I could find to get that height just right, gave it a soak, and it was like a different knot! Now I am a believer and have a 24mm on the way as well as picking up the G5C.

All that to say, I hope you like and hope you let us know what you discover!

Thanks for this info. Will be logging on this evening to see if I can put together a G5B with one of the handles listed as "Coming Soon".
What you see is what will be available. There is a link on the page to past brushes so if you see one you like better, just wait and he will make it again. That's what I am doing, not giving him $70 for a handle that isn't the exact shape I want. The non ebonite are a little less, I think $60.

JCarr

What you see is what will be available. There is a link on the page to past brushes so if you see one you like better, just wait and he will make it again. That's what I am doing, not giving him $70 for a handle that isn't the exact shape I want. The non ebonite are a little less, I think $60.

I went with an inexpensive handle and paired it with a G5B knot. Kept the price down quite a bit. Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom