What's new

Impressions of the Rooney Heritage line

proxy.php

Rather bad picture, but nevertheless.....

These new Rooneys impressed me: they have a bristle type that's fine and thin and which looks a lot like Simpsons best badger.
But boy oh boy, are these lofts densely packed.........

The lofts of the Stubby, Alibaba, Emilion and Victorian are very firm with a huge backbone, although the bristle type is, as said, that of the finer and thinner type. But talking about dense: these Heritage brushes are VERY densely packed.
But i would not say that the bristle type looks like Rooneys finest: this badger is thicker and coarser, and far more black and white. As said: the bristle type of the Heritage line can best be compared to Simpsons best: f.i. the type of best badger in the Duke 3. But the lofts of the Heritages are even more densely packed and hence stiffer with more backbone than the loft of the Duke 3.

I used the Stubby 3 this morning on its maiden trip: it gives a good lather, has a perfect scrubbing action yet feels luxuriously soft.

The handles don't impress me though....but the lofts of these specimen absolutely do....

All in all has the new Heritige line an excellent value for price ratio.

They come near the Rooney finest series regarding loft properties, but not regarding loft colouration.....

Beautiful, simply beautiful, Peter! Thanks for sharing and making me -once more- very envious. I know you'll enjoy these brushes - these as well... :rolleyes:

Great info & picture. I was seriously thinking about this line but finally went with the Chubby. I love the shape of those handles - all of them.

Has this recent round of acquisitions pushed you past the 200 mark? I'm just wondering when the Guiness Records people need to be called in to document this collection as the greatest in the world.

Hey doc, could you give us some brush history background as to why the Ali-Baba by Rooney looks so much like a Simpson Persian Jar?

Was there some kind of oriental fashion? And the is the 'stubby' intentionally referring to Simpson's 'Chubby'? Must be... They are a very similar type of brush, aren't they? :confused:

Oh, and can I be in your will? :lol:

You posted a list in another thread listing density and I was curious as to how dense these brushes actually are (where do they fit in that list)?

Great picture!! As I understand it, the handles are supposed to age like a natural bone would so i would guess that in time, the handles would really be cool looking. I've been looking at these more and more...may just need to buy one!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I got the Beehive version from Jim (Vintageblades) this week, and have used it once ... the day after it arrived ... and it's in 'the rotation' now. I was suprised at how dense and firm that little bundle of hair was ... really nice. It has much more backbone than any of my other brushes, including my Simpson Major.

Of course, I'm jsut at the 'initial imoression' stage now, and have never been in the same room as a Simpson Chubby, but my Chubby-angst is subsiding.

I took a picture of my stubby 2 versus a shavemac 177 to show the density:

proxy.php

Note: I have not used the stubby yet when this picture was taken. The stubby 2 is on the left, the Shavemac 177 is on the right.

Top Bottom