What's new

I'm Unplugging

After dealing with my internet provider several times over the past few months due to my internet being shoddy I've decided to just go ahead and cut my link to th internet all together in my home. I know that to a lot of you this probably isn't a big deal. But, over the past several years I've never had a tv (or a land line) and relied solely on my internet for news, movies, and tv shows. But, as with all things, using it too much can become a distraction and thus counterproductive. For the past few days I've been unplugged and just noticed that my mind has kicked into overdrive. I'm reading a lot (I have to for my master's courses anyway), I'm thinking a lot, and I feel like my mind is much clearer, and in a better place.

So, I picked up my phone, spoke with my company, and cut the cord. I feel great about the decision and this will hopefully lead me to evaluate other things in my life that are also expendable. (My shaving gear is not expendable, so don't ask!) I would love for my cell phone to be next, but without a landline in my house I'd be left incommunicado.

Anyway, I will certainly still be hanging around B&B as I have internet access at work, and there are about 20 pc rooms within a five minute walk of my apartment. But, for the foreseeable future I'll be out of the wired world for the most part, and I couldn't be happier.

Does this mean we are going to see lots of posts in short bursts, then silence, then another burst?

Cheers

Jeremy

Perhaps. Probably more like one or two a day. I contribute rather slowly anyway. A lot of the discussion is about products, and I just haven't tried enough to participate in many of those threads. I tend to spend most of my time in the barber shop. But, I do know that of the web sites I do visit, this will be the only place I actually make a point to visit each and every day.

I know I would definitely be more productuctive without the internet. I spent 2 weeks without internet and finished so many things I had started. Of course, I was without internet because of circumstance - not by choice. I give you a lot of credit to willingly do this. I hope it works out.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Perhaps. Probably more like one or two a day. I contribute rather slowly anyway. A lot of the discussion is about products, and I just haven't tried enough to participate in many of those threads. I tend to spend most of my time in the barber shop. But, I do know that of the web sites I do visit, this will be the only place I actually make a point to visit each and every day.

Even when I go for periods of time away from B&B, I still think of things I might want to post about every day when I step up to the mirror to shave.

We're contemplating sending our daughters to a Waldorf school. One of their requirements is that there be no tv, video games or computer in the house. It would be quite a shock to our systems. But deep down I know it would be good for us.

-Mason

For the past few days I've been unplugged and just noticed that my mind has kicked into overdrive. I'm reading a lot (I have to for my master's courses anyway), I'm thinking a lot, and I feel like my mind is much clearer, and in a better place.

Atta boy. It's amazing how much time a computer and television can absorb.

We're contemplating sending our daughters to a Waldorf school. One of their requirements is that there be no tv, video games or computer in the house. It would be quite a shock to our systems. But deep down I know it would be good for us.

It's not as big a shock as you might think, and you will benefit in so many ways. When our daughter was born, my wife and I pulled the plug on our television and after maybe two weeks it was no problem at all. Not only will you save big $$$ on cable bills, you'll have an abundance of time for other things, which for us has been used for reading and playing with our daughter. Kid-wise, you'll be amazed by the benefits of having no television. Their reading will improve, they will become more inquisitive, have longer attention spans and greater focus, their frustration levels will decrease, and they will be less inclined to value the trivial things that television emphasizes. Most importantly however, by tossing the tele you give your daughters a better chance of not growing up to be impulsive cradle to grave debtor-consumers. Regarding this last point, read the book "Buy, Buy, Baby" for an eye-opening exploration of the manipulativeness of children's television, and then read "Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders." The latter book is very relevant when you realize that the sole purpose of television is to...Make...You...Buy...Things.

None of this is rocket science and yet my wife and I are amazed by the shock, guilt, or suspicion that registers on the faces of other parents when we tell them we don't watch television.

I'm glad to see all the support flowing through the thread. As I said in the OP, I am already noticing benefits. I think the big winners so far are my eyes. They feel much less tired than they used to. On top of this I've really been eating healthy...everyday I eat bibimbap (a korean vegetable mix with rice.) I'm also going to be back in the gym starting next week, and can't wait to see how this improves my mind, as the mind body connection is definitely real to me.

We didn't have a TV in my house until I left home and my parents got one to watch the news and the like. I grew up going to the library weekly, drawing out 4 books and reading them before going back the next week. I did this from the age of about 4 til I was 15 or so I suppose.

Thats got to be at least 100 books a year for 10 years.

1000 books and no TV.

I know people that have probably never read more than 10 books in their life!

I did well at school, wasn't particularly disruptive and did loads of great outdoor stuff through summer and winter. I didn't like the fact that we didn't have telly and friends at school mocked me a little for it but looking back I admire my parents for their foresight. I have no debts, I am not swayed by ANY advertising, I use my own mind to make decisions for me and I don't rely on faces in a glass bubble to tell me how to spend my money and how to live my life.

I am about as FREE as you can be in this FREE country.

I got my first mobile phone 2 years ago. :lol::lol:

I love technology, it can't be avoided and as a tool it is absolutely necessary for life to evolve in the way it is.

BUT

I try to avoid any reliance on it in my home life.

If I ever have kids, telly, games consoles, mobile phones and **** food will be be severely clamped.

It's for their benefit

I'll go now :biggrin:

Cheers

Mat

Oh and fair play for getting shot of the internet. Lose it and don't bother looking for it. I killed off the internet at home last year and have no regrets whatsoever. I don't have cable TV, just the basic 5 channels. I have a landline and my mobile is switched off as I walk through the door.

Life is peaceful at home.

Life is peaceful at home.

That's exactly what I'm going for. I love the feeling of being unreachable once I enter my home. At times I feel like so much of my life centers around me being the odd one out. For those on the board who have spent a long time living abroad I'm sure you've felt the same. Especially in Asia...the stares and the pointing....they tend to wear on me a bit, and while I usually don't notice them the days when I'm already stressed they impact me 100 fold. So, coming home to a place that is complete solitude is really nice.

Wow! Good luck with that. I know I couldn't do it. But then again I've moved just to find faster internet connections!

Wow...I just checked in to B&B for the first time in a few weeks, and checked the date I posted this thread. It's hard for me to believe that I posted this on March 12th, and it's already nearly June. I haven't missed my internet or computer a bit.

Top Bottom