What's new

I'm Thinking of Buying One and Only One Synthetic | Which One Should I Buy?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The very few synthetics I own or used to own haven't suited me. They were too springy. They flung lather around the shave den. They didn't feel as good as my broken in boars or my better badgers.

View attachment 1068114

In spite of what you might have heard I'm not totally closed minded when it comes to synthetic brushes. At least not yet.

Having read all the glorious reports on synthetics and how they've improved and all that, and knowing how inexpensive they tend to be, I'm considering buying ONE and giving it a spin. One and only one, so it has to be right or never again.

I'm not interested in spending a lot on the brush so no Simpsons and such (unless you're a master enabler).

I tend to like larger brushes which means 24 mm knots and up unless there's something peculiar about synthetics such that only smaller brushes are acceptable. I like backbone and scrub and am 100% a face latherer. I use soaps and not creams.

So...

What one synthetic brush should I buy?

Why?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Why would you even ask a question like that on this board? 😂

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why would you even ask a question like that on this board? 😂

1589236691900.png

I had one and only one synthetic for many years. In fact, it was my one and only brush for most of the time between 2013 and 2018.

The Edwin Jagger 25mm synthetic.

It was and still is an amazing lathering tool, and I grew accustomed to its particular feel, or rather lack thereof. Good backbone, easily makes and releases lather, and feels closer to silvertip than any other synthetic I've used, but it doesn't have a natural feel at the tips, which in the end is why I started looking around at other options again.

I agree with those who say that synthetics lather more readily than even really good badgers and boars. It's hard not to make good lather quickly with a good synthetic. That said, I actually really enjoy lathering. I enjoy brush loading, the feel of my brush on my face, the process of light swirls and to-and-fro strokes turning a pasty proto-lather into something shaveable. I see guys posting that they only "have" to load for 15 seconds with a particular brush or that lather forms in no time. Sometimes that's nice, but sometimes I want to, you know, make the lather.

Anyway, synthetics are great. The Muehle/Jagger is really great, especially in the "XL" 25mm size. If you want to make it even better, get the 25mm knot and have Rudy Vey make you a faux ivory wasp-waisted Persian jar handle for it.

But also: badgers and boars give really good and distinctive feel on the face, and I miss it when it's not there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had one and only one synthetic for many years. In fact, it was my one and only brush for most of the time between 2013 and 2018...the Edwin Jagger 25mm synthetic...if you want to make it even better, get the 25mm knot and have Rudy Vey make you a faux ivory wasp-waisted Persian jar handle for it.

Really helpful post. I've already decided on my one and only synthetic - the Omega Evo - and have been using it, and enjoying it. However, I am interested in how one might obtain the knot you like (that is, just the knot)? Who sells it?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Really helpful post. I've already decided on my one and only synthetic - the Omega Evo - and have been using it, and enjoying it. However, I am interested in how one might obtain the knot you like (that is, just the knot)? Who sells it?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, it's been a few years ago now, but I contacted Muehle via email and asked to buy a 23mm and a 25mm knot, and they obliged. I don't know if they still do that.

However, Rudy Vey also at one point had the ability to order the Muehle knots directly. I already had one, so I had him put the one I'd purchased into the handle he made for me. I'll post a pic in a bit if I can. It's phenomenal.

I still have the 23mm knot in a box. I'll get around to putting it in a handle for travel someday.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, it's been a few years ago now, but I contacted Muehle via email and asked to buy a 23mm and a 25mm knot, and they obliged. I don't know if they still do that.

However, Rudy Vey also at one point had the ability to order the Muehle knots directly. I already had one, so I had him put the one I'd purchased into the handle he made for me. I'll post a pic in a bit if I can. It's phenomenal.

I still have the 23mm knot in a box. I'll get around to putting it in a handle for travel someday.

Thanks, Tim.

Looking forward to the photo(s).

Below are two images I took rather hurriedly with my phone. Sorry for the low quality. I included an Omega boar for reference in terms of size.

The XL in the center has seen about 1500 lathers. The custom-handled Muehle knot on your left has maybe seen three hundred or so. I asked Rudy to set it about 2-3mm lower than the EJ knot, and I think that accounts some for the fact that it hasn't bloomed/opened up as much. I also think that it's possible my EJ was more closed up seven years ago, but I don't remember, honestly.

The handle on the XL became very comfortable to me over time, although I always felt it was a bit chunky for my tastes. Maybe not an issue for everyone, but it's why I had Rudy make me that custom handle. I wanted a Persian Jar with an Emillion-style "foot" at the bottom. He nailed it. I love the way it feels in the hand.

overhead synths.jpg
Muehles and Omega.jpg

Below are two images I took rather hurriedly with my phone. Sorry for the low quality. I included an Omega boar for reference in terms of size.

The XL in the center has seen about 1500 lathers. The custom-handled Muehle knot on your left has maybe seen three hundred or so. I asked Rudy to set it about 2-3mm lower than the EJ knot, and I think that accounts some for the fact that it hasn't bloomed/opened up as much. I also think that it's possible my EJ was more closed up seven years ago, but I don't remember, honestly.

The handle on the XL became very comfortable to me over time, although I always felt it was a bit chunky for my tastes. Maybe not an issue for everyone, but it's why I had Rudy make me that custom handle. I wanted a Persian Jar with an Emillion-style "foot" at the bottom. He nailed it. I love the way it feels in the hand.

View attachment 1099542View attachment 1099541

That EJ is gorgeous. I love the crown of the knot, it looks like a luxurious Simpson from the top down!

Thanks. It actually reminds me of a C&E branded Super Badger I had when I started wetshaving in 2008. It was a rebranded EJ silvertip, very large, very plush, and probably one I should've held onto.

Anyway, this synthetic is a great brush. In addition to the custom variation next to it, I have a redundant backup because I like it so much.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 1099542View attachment 1099541

Very nice. Also very helpful.

Just to be sure, both synthetics are the same 25 mm knot, right?

I have 50+ synthetics with just about every synthetic knot you can think of.

Whilst I love turnnshaves knots and yaqi synthetic brushes, my #1 synthetic knot of all time remains the muhle/EJ silvertip fibre.

It behaves a lot like a badger, closest out of all the other synthetics out there.

It's a very unique knot that has very natural splay and backbone characteristics.

For a one and only synthetic, this would be my top recommendation.

This echoes my experience exactly.
And I might suggest to see if you can get a Muhle knot th lower loft, these will blow your socks off in terms of comfort and performance.

Simpsons Chubby 2 S is also a favorite.

Reactions: nav
This echoes my experience exactly.
And I might suggest to see if you can get a Muhle knot th lower loft, these will blow your socks off in terms of comfort and performance.

Simpsons Chubby 2 S is also a favorite.
Very nice. Also very helpful.

Just to be sure, both synthetics are the same 25 mm knot, right?

Yes, both are the 25mm knot. Just a deeper-set lower-loft brush on the left as Wim suggests.

Here's a link to a post I did in Rudy's store back when I first got the newer one.

And here's a better pic that Rudy sent me as a teaser when he shipped me the custom handle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, both are the 25mm knot. Just a deeper-set lower-loft brush on the left as Wim suggests.

Here's a link to a post I did in Rudy's store back when I first got the newer one.

And here's a better pic that Rudy sent me as a teaser when he shipped me the custom handle.

Would you have Rudy set it lower (like you did) were you doing it again?

Nice brushes in any case. I wonder about the various lofts with these synthetics.

4-26-20,MdC.Evo.FOCS.640.jpg

My Evo has a loft of 50 mm. The vendor says it's 55 mm and some guys have reported their Evo loft at 55 mm. I'm glad mine is 50 mm.

I'm not sure I'd do the lower-set knot next time. I like it a lot, but the big EJ is something else. There is a tiny glue bump on the EJ, like 1-2mm, though. The effective/free loft is not a lot more than the custom-handled one. I can say that I generally like backbone on a brush, and both deliver it, the lower-lofted one moreso. However, the EJ is very luxurious because it is so opened up. It's dense but still plush.

Reactions: nav

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not sure I'd do the lower-set knot next time. I like it a lot, but the big EJ is something else. There is a tiny glue bump on the EJ, like 1-2mm, though. The effective/free loft is not a lot more than the custom-handled one. I can say that I generally like backbone on a brush, and both deliver it, the lower-lofted one moreso. However, the EJ is very luxurious because it is so opened up. It's dense but still plush.

Thank you.

I’ve been reading this thread for the past couple of weeks (apologies to high-Jack)

I’m looking to get another synthetic brush.

I have an Edwin Jagger Synthetic SilverTip 21mm knot (see pic below on the right)

also I have a Razorock Big Bruce 26mm knot (see pic below on the left)

040D1E40-A9A1-4B78-84DD-A02AC944C9C1.jpeg

I normally always reach for the EJ for some reason

I want another good quality brush but am not an expert.

I really like the Turn n Shave handles and have read the reviews of Milton’s Timberwolf, Quartermoon knots (but these are only fan? And I would prefer a bulb)

I really like the wolf Whiskers handles and have read the reviews of the Blackwolf and Timberwolf knots

I am now thinking of the Simpson Trafalgar T2, but the handles are truly exciting

Although I understand the concept or loft, backbone, splay, knot size etc, I donmt actually have a clue of what I want !!

I only bowl lather
I use mainly soaps
I only head shave and neck shave (face shave about once a year for 4 weeks)

I’m sure I want a bulb, not a fan knot - as I think my EJ silvertip from the pic above is a bulb.

I think that the wolf whiskers are lovely but maybe more expensive that Turn n Shave, and I can’t be arsed to deal with a waitlist

any thoughts would be appreciated

I’m leaving towards a Turn n Shave 26 mm quartermoon knot at a 53mm knot height in a custom handle (but am also thinking of getting the Trafalgar T2 coz it is a lot cheaper in the meantime to scratch the itch)

I’d love a Simpson Chubby 2 with the sapphire handle (but it’s very expensive)

@Ratty

Have you ever tried a fan shaped knot? I was a bulb knot user until I tried Milton's Angel Hair knot in a handle I had made for it. That led to the Quartermoon that led to the Timberwolf and haven't looked at another bulb knot again... I am an exclusive face latherer and these work great. I'd suggest giving one a try... You can't go wrong with either the Quartermoon or the Timberwolf!! All of my knots I set in the 57-59mm loft as I like a little floppier brush because they are easier to splay and paint.
Brushes1.jpg

@Ratty

Have you ever tried a fan shaped knot? I was a bulb knot user until I tried Milton's Angel Hair knot in a handle I had made for it. That led to the Quartermoon that led to the Timberwolf and haven't looked at another bulb knot again... I am an exclusive face latherer and these work great. I'd suggest giving one a try... You can't go wrong with either the Quartermoon or the Timberwolf!! All of my knots I set in the 57-59mm loft as I like a little floppier brush because they are easier to splay and paint.
View attachment 1103681

thanks for the post - I have actually been looking at your posts earlier in this thread and from another thread, and it was good that Jim (original poster Chan Whiskers) referred time it

I have never tried a fan knot. The bulbs look better, but I’m not adverse to trying a fan.

I’m seriously thinking of the quartermoon or Timberwolf

thanks for the post - I have actually been looking at your posts earlier in this thread and from another thread, and it was good that Jim (original poster Chan Whiskers) referred time it

I have never tried a fan knot. The bulbs look better, but I’m not adverse to trying a fan.

I’m seriously thinking of the quartermoon or Timberwolf
Be careful or the same thing that happened to me will happen to you!! I don't think I'll even buy a bulb ever again!! I think you would enjoy either one but can say that the Timberwolf is like lathering with a pillow. I have never had such a dense, soft knot in any brush I've owned. It lathers quick and plentiful, but the best thing I enjoy is it splays on demand with hardly any pressure at all...

@muzichead - I’m leaning to the Timberwolf but fear it may be the same as my big Bruce (which I like), but will I end up just going with my EJ all the time I shave ??

I’ll be In Touch with Milton again after the 3 day holiday over here in Dubai

Top Bottom