What's new

I'm Thinking of Buying One and Only One Synthetic | Which One Should I Buy?

I'd like to jump in on this, too, as I'm also looking for some advise on a brush as I've only ever used a Walmart tweezerman. I've decided on a Yaqi, but I'd appreciate guidance as to which one. For the purposes of narrowing down the selection I'll try to provide some information:

Synthetic and on the small side for precision application.
Good backbone...not floppy
Versatile - something that'll tackle both cream and soaps as I plan to do a lot of experimenting with different lathers as well as both face and bowl lathering... That said it only needs to hold enough lather for a couple passes
Less than $20

Thanks in advance, gentleman.
Oh...and I'm going to order a stand; will most brushes fit in most stands?

I'd like to jump in on this, too, as I'm also looking for some advise on a brush as I've only ever used a Walmart tweezerman. I've decided on a Yaqi, but I'd appreciate guidance as to which one. For the purposes of narrowing down the selection I'll try to provide some information:

Synthetic and on the small side for precision application.
Good backbone...not floppy
Versatile - something that'll tackle both cream and soaps as I plan to do a lot of experimenting with different lathers as well as both face and bowl lathering... That said it only needs to hold enough lather for a couple passes
Less than $20

Thanks in advance, gentleman.
Oh...and I'm going to order a stand; will most brushes fit in most stands?
The Yaqi sagrada is one to consider.
Also a synbad or tuxedo from ap shave co.

After trying dozens of synthetic (including various tuxedos, trafalgar t3, chubby 2 synth, shavemac synth, original plisson, dozen of plisson clones) i will just save you the time and money.

NOTHING in the synthetic market can get close to the Omega EVO synthetic, nothing. Yes this is a very bold statement im making but im doing it since its the honest truth.

No other synth feels so closely similar to a badger when face lathering, including splay, face feel and even water retention properties. This will be the only synthetic I would ever use, and my designated travel brush.

Cant be beaten as of now.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After trying dozens of synthetics (including various tuxedos, trafalgar t3, chubby 2 synth, shavemac synth, original plisson, dozen of plisson clones) i will just save you the time and money.

NOTHING in the synthetic market can get close to the Omega EVO synthetic, nothing. Yes this is a very bold statement im making but im doing it since its the honest truth.

No other synth feels so closely similar to a badger when face lathering, including splay, face feel and even water retention properties. This will be the only synthetic I would ever use, and my designated travel brush.

Music to my ears as that's the very synthetic I chose and am happy with.

6-7-20.Evo.FOCS.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

I tried and didn't much like only a few synthetics prior to buying the Omega Evo. However, I will echo what was said about the Evo. It feels like a silvertip badger. In fact, I like it better than some of the silvertips I've used. I like too that I didn't spend money on a slew of synthetics before acquiring the Evo.

A couple of times I used my Omega Evo for several days straight while traveling. It's a really nice brush, and I don't mean "for a synthetic."

Now, to be fair, I like two bands better than silvertips so I'm not saying it's impossible to think a better synthetic might come along one day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Okay, look. I've got a Duke 3 synthetic on the way. Other than the Simpson synths, the Evo is the only thing on the market I haven't tried, I think. Reading stuff like this while I'm waiting on a different brush is brutal.

Okay, look. I've got a Duke 3 synthetic on the way. Other than the Simpson synths, the Evo is the only thing on the market I haven't tried, I think. Reading stuff like this while I'm waiting on a different brush is brutal.
My vote is also for the Omega Evo
Hey Tim, I doubt if Batman was intending to "rub it in"... but it's looking like you NEED an Omega Evo. :yesnod: :laugh:

Have you tried the Muhle/Edwin Jagger STF?
I have indeed used the STF. In fact, I used my EJ XL exclusively for a couple of years. Great brush. I wasn't really looking for another synth, but I was ordering a D3 in Best direct from Simpsons and decided I would finally give their synthetic a shot.
Hey Tim, I doubt if Batman was intending to "rub it in"... but it's looking like you NEED an Omega Evo. :yesnod: :laugh:
:thumbup: :lol:I need another brush like I need a hole in the head, but I knew the first time I saw them I would eventually try one of these. I need to sell some stuff off first, though.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
After trying dozens of synthetic (including various tuxedos, trafalgar t3, chubby 2 synth, shavemac synth, original plisson, dozen of plisson clones) i will just save you the time and money.

I just gave my EVO to my dad because my Chubby 2 Synthetic beat it in every way for me. Go figure the YMMV factor stays as strong as ever.

Why should synthetic brushes feel similar to a badger when they are actually looking for something better than a badger brush?

The Omega Evo has been mentioned. I like the handle selection. Anyway, here's a review.

They're not cheap.

No idea about the accuracy of the review of course.

He says it's a nice brush but somewhat springy. He also says it's much like two or three of the brushes already favorably mentioned especially the Muhle STF.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Evo is a good choice for a synthetic but in my humble opinion they want too much for it. You can get a good badger brush for that price. Just my opinion

Why should synthetic brushes feel similar to a badger when they are actually looking for something better than a badger brush?
This is a really interesting question. I don't use a boar in secret hope that it feels like a badger. In fact, I use it because it doesn't. Somehow we have all attached this expectation to synthetics that they will "imitate" a badger, and obviously the aesthetic of the better synths (Muehle/EJ, FS G4, Omega Evo, Simpson) are designed to put you in mind of a silvertip. But there's no reason it should be so. Synths are their own thing. I like badger and boar and synthetic. They all feel different to one another, and that's a feature, not a bug.

There is nothing wrong with a synthetic. My favorite is the Black Wolf knot from Wolf Whiskers and Envy Shaves. As far as I know that’s the only two places you can get them And they won’t sell them unless you are having a brush made.

as far as my preference... synthetics are good but they are not as luxurious as a good badger brush. Having said that, synthetics have their strengths. I have over 50 brushes, everything except horse hair. Just can’t bring myself to shave with Trigger. With all those brushes I keep maybe six in rotation.
A Chubby 2 Synthetic
A wolf Whiskers black wolf alternates with a Envy Shave black wolf
and the other four are badger brushes.

If you want a synthetic as a travel brush then you cant go wrong with a Yaqi with the clear yellow bottom and a tuxedo knot. I believe I paid 11 or 12 dollars for it. But if you want pure luxury then you can go with Simpson or whatever. Though my favorite brush makers are Wolf Whiskers and Envy Shave. Wolf and Envy can set you up with very special brushes with either synthetic or Badger.

just my two cents. Hope this helps someone.

Top Bottom