What's new

I'm Thinking of Buying One and Only One Synthetic | Which One Should I Buy?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, David. That's a comparison I've been hoping to find, and I knew you were the guy who'd get to it first.

I like the Evo. Probably better than I thought I would. It's not a brush I love, but it's a good brush. It seems like a mildly floppy and not too very dense silvertip to me. For me, considering it's a synthetic, that might sound like I'm damning it with faint praise, but I'm not. I like the Omega Evo.

I'm not planning to buy another synthetic anytime soon, maybe never, but I window shop Zenith brushes and who knows what would happen should I run across just the right synthetic with just the right handle and be in just the right mood.

Thanks again.

Happy shaves,

Jim

From what I perceive your brush preferences to be, I don't thing the 26mm Zenith would be for you.

Now.....if they come out with a 28mm or 30mm and set the loft appropriately, that's the kind of synthetic brush that might just tempt you. ;)

I've only had one synthetic in the past and it was a cheapo Wilkinson sword that felt scratchy, I gave it and a gold dollar strait razor to a new wet shaver. I moved on to affordable boar and badger. I don't know much about synthetic brushes but out of the affordable ones that have a good reputation I like the look of the yaqi Cola for its style, colour and long handle.

Is it worth buying over the other yaqi models?

I have the cola with the plisson knot and I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
From what I perceive your brush preferences to be, I don't thing the 26mm Zenith would be for you.

Now.....if they come out with a 28mm or 30mm and set the loft appropriately, that's the kind of synthetic brush that might just tempt you. ;)

Very good point. Seems like most people say synthetic knots seem smaller than they measure (as compared with badgers). To me, the 28 mm Omega Evo knot seems just barely medium sized.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There are some things I don't think synthetics will ever achieve. The first is that nylon and other synthetics are hydrophobic and rely on surface tension alone to retain water. Natrlural boar bristle is hydrophilic and those brushes are great for hard soaps that need more water. They also retain heat better for the second pass. Next, I don't think they will ever make a synthetic that develops spilt ends and "hooks" like a boar so that it loads easily but has super soft tips for when you are painting and daubing, but still lots of backbone for when you are scrubbing.

Ok this is gonna be rude probably lol. But yes you're absolutely correct. And because of that a synthetic, or might as well say plastic, shaving brush will never feel like a brush with natural hair. It's just not possible with the current technology. Just like a polyester fiber filled jacket can't perform the same a one with real down. If you like the feel of rubbing fake plastic hairs on your face then why not finish shaving by also using a man made all plastic razor? Because it doesn't feel the same at all is the reason basically no one does that. Heck I don't even like brushes that have plastic resin handles, I want wood or some other natural material. It simply feels better in your hand.

I don't care how supposedly well made or pricey a plastic brush is it'll never be as pleasant to use as a nice badger brush.

Now if you are concerned about the treatment, and possible abuse, of the badgers then yes absolutely use an artificial brush. But don't expect or pretend that it can match a nice badger in feel and performance.

Ok let the anger start lol...

I don't care how supposedly well made or pricey a plastic brush is it'll never be as pleasant to use as a nice badger brush.

Now if you are concerned about the treatment, and possible abuse, of the badgers then yes absolutely use an artificial brush. But don't expect or pretend that it can match a nice badger in feel and performance.

I have to disagree entirely. I have tried very good 2 Band Badger brushes and I find my synthetics out perform them in every way. I also think they feel better during use than a badger. Just my opinion.

I have to disagree entirely. I have tried very good 2 Band Badger brushes and I find my synthetics out perform them in every way. I also think they feel better during use than a badger. Just my opinion.
Well, to be even more heretical, synthetics and badgers are more similar than synthetics are to boars.

:oops:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ok this is gonna be rude probably lol. But yes you're absolutely correct. And because of that a synthetic, or might as well say plastic, shaving brush will never feel like a brush with natural hair. It's just not possible with the current technology. Just like a polyester fiber filled jacket can't perform the same a one with real down. If you like the feel of rubbing fake plastic hairs on your face then why not finish shaving by also using a man made all plastic razor? Because it doesn't feel the same at all is the reason basically no one does that. Heck I don't even like brushes that have plastic resin handles, I want wood or some other natural material. It simply feels better in your hand.

Ok let the anger start lol...

I would have agreed entirely with you before the Omega Evo came my way.

Admittedly it's not a badger, but I oftentimes mistake it for a silvertip. It's that good.

I have a Maggards synthetic, I believe it's the plisson knot, really a good brush that whips up lather better than
the badger and boar brush I have. This thread has me thinking of perhaps gathering up some squirrel tails from
the road kill around here and seeing how they would perform, probably not as well as a nice synthetic.

I have a Maggards synthetic, I believe it's the plisson knot, really a good brush that whips up lather better than
the badger and boar brush I have. This thread has me thinking of perhaps gathering up some squirrel tails from
the road kill around here and seeing how they would perform, probably not as well as a nice synthetic.
Which of your boar brushes is it better than?

You could always checkout turtleship shaving co brushes. I had a 5$ synthetic brush that worked fine, but wanted to upgrade due to switching to straight razors and decided I wanted to continue just having one reliable brush

You could always checkout turtleship shaving co brushes. I had a 5$ synthetic brush that worked fine, but wanted to upgrade due to switching to straight razors and decided I wanted to continue just having one reliable brush

You want to have just one reliable brush?

Semogue 1305.

Or, if you don't like the handle the Semogue 830. Same knot, acrylic handle.

Yaqi Moka

DfEmxZXVAAAAUXI.jpg

While not the most aesthically striking of the synthetic variants, I have zeroed in on a 24 Cashmere as my one and only. Pretty sure I could pull lather out of a cinder block with this thing if push came to shove.

You are mixing emotions with properties.

Do you think the same about lowly plastic when you look at nice carbon fibre parts for a sports bike or car?

I totally agree about the feel part. Good synth feels different then good badger. But I care for performance, not only in cars and bikes.

And the feeling part works the other way around as well. Do I want to brush the hide of a long dead animal through my face? To be honest, it's not much of a put off for me, but some of my boars stank really bad. I also owned a woolen pullover once that really stank of wool fat.

Feel only is important to me when judging the result of the shave.

Just to add my perspective, if you dislike cheap plastic for whatever reason, that's fine with me.

br
godek

Top Bottom