What's new

I'm Thinking of Buying One and Only One Synthetic | Which One Should I Buy?

I got mine from AP shave Co. Maggard also has them. It's the best synthetic I've ever used. I'd describe it as a STF on steroids (same fiber but much more dense)
Maggards doesn't sell the German knot the same as APShaveCo. I would venture to guess they get it from someone in China as they carry them down to 20mm where Al's G5a&B start at 24mm. I'd also mention they don't carry the B style of the G5 knot...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This thread has me really wanting to track down an Omega Evo...

Suggestion: All the Omega Evo knots are the same. You're going to love the brush. Spend what it takes - in time & in money - to get the handle you most like.

(I didn't do this, and wish I had, but I wasn't really sure how I'd like the knot.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Suggestion: All the Omega Evo knots are the same. You're going to love the brush. Spend what it takes - in time & in money - to get the handle you most like.

(I didn't do this, and wish I had, but I wasn't really sure how I'd like the knot.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you Jim - that's good advice and exactly what I plan on doing.

linty1

My wallet cries.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wish they would make a travel/mini version, I hear enough good things about the evo fiber I would get one to try. (even though I do very much like my 19mm mhule stf).

I am waiting to receive an ebonite G5A - will share my opinion when I get it. Expect my Plisson gen 2 synth to still be my best, but wanted to try the new knot and the ebonite looks nice.

I'm always interested in a great synthetic knot. I only have one in my house that I really, really like and use: Turn n Shave 26 mm Quartermoon. I bought an Edwin Jagger STF, and was not impressed. The tips were soft, but when I face-lathered, it felt pokey and very uncomfortable. I love backbone and soft tips, I don't like being poked in the face with face lather. I've tried other synthetics too, perfectly fine lathering in a bowl, but lathering on the face was never pleasant (too soft, too floppy, too pokey, won't splay because too floppy or too dense, etc.).

Now, the Edwin Jagger is fantastic when lathering in a bowl and painting on a face. So easy to lather, so soft. If that's what I did, I would have zero complaints. I guess I'm looking for that synthetic face-latherer. I have not found the perfect one yet, but I have one I like as I wrote.

My question to those who have the Evo, or G5$, or other, do you bowl lather or face lather? Can you tell a difference in how it feels on your face? If you face lather, can you share your experience?

I'm always interested in a great synthetic knot. I only have one in my house that I really, really like and use: Turn n Shave 26 mm Quartermoon. I bought an Edwin Jagger STF, and was not impressed. The tips were soft, but when I face-lathered, it felt pokey and very uncomfortable. I love backbone and soft tips, I don't like being poked in the face with face lather. I've tried other synthetics too, perfectly fine lathering in a bowl, but lathering on the face was never pleasant (too soft, too floppy, too pokey, won't splay because too floppy or too dense, etc.).

Now, the Edwin Jagger is fantastic when lathering in a bowl and painting on a face. So easy to lather, so soft. If that's what I did, I would have zero complaints. I guess I'm looking for that synthetic face-latherer. I have not found the perfect one yet, but I have one I like as I wrote.

My question to those who have the Evo, or G5$, or other, do you bowl lather or face lather? Can you tell a difference in how it feels on your face? If you face lather, can you share your experience?
I ordered and set all my brushes as I like my knots set a little higher than what you will normally get from most vendor's and found the only way to get what I wanted was to do it myself as its just not that difficult to do...

I too am a fan of the Quartermoon as well and consider it my favorite to use but my other Turn-N-Shave knots are not very far behind it and I find all 3 are excellent face latherer's!! I am a big fan of Milton's knots in general and find they are top notch for me but would also suggest you look into his 26mm Timberwolf fan. It is probably one of the densest synthetics I've ever used and it feels great while lathering.

I have the 25mm Angelhair also which fits very well in what I was looking for but I don't think most would care for it as its a very soft knot but not in a flimsy/flingy way. Very soft tips with not very much backbone and to me feels very Boar-like and that was what I was looking for.

Brushes2.jpg

For those interested, Muhle is bringing back the STF XL with a 25mm knot

In parallel they are discontinuing the Silvertip Badger XL.

Smart move in my view. I may get one STF XL if I find it at a good price

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

The Omega Evo is my only synthetic brush.

Most of the time I use badgers, but I've wanted one good synthetic for travel, etc.​

Face lathering for me. 100% of the time. Daily face lathering.

The Omega Evo performs almost perfectly according to my standards. I'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from a pretty decent three band silvertip badger.

The Evo holds water properly. It loads and lathers very well indeed. It has decent backbone and scrub. It's soft. There is no pokiness. There is no scritch.

I like the handle. I'd prefer the green, but the color I purchased suits me just fine.

It splays nicely. It has none of the springy feel some synthetics have. It does not sling lather all over the shave den.

In terms of its size, I'd prefer it to be larger. In spite of published size measurements and such, to me it feels in use as if it were about the size of a 24 mm brush. Nothing wrong with 24 mm brushes, but I prefer 'em larger. I'm sure it measures as advertised, so I'm only talking here about how it feels to me. No, I'm not saying it's small 'cause it's not.

The loft of mine is ~5 mm lower than advertised. (To me, that's a bonus.)

From one day this week.​
9-13-21.X3.Tibam80mmTi.EVO.Vitos.640.JPG

Mostly the Evo is for me a travel brush option. However I use it occasionally when I'm not traveling because it's a very good brush (and not just a very good brush for a synthetic).

I like the Omega Evo. It feels great to me when I use it to face lather.

I am very glad to have picked this as my one synthetic. Nothing I've read about any of the others has convinced me I should buy them, but the main thing keeping me away from other synthetics is this: I wanted a synthetic which was just like a badger; I have one now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom