What's new

I'm that guy.

I'm not trying to blend. I wear what I wear for me, not for others although I hope they enjoy it. Too strong and even I don't want to be near me. Airing the scent out of a leather jacket or watch strap takes a while. Leather absorbs fragrances.

Granted you can wear 6 spritzes for yourself but there is an old saying: Your right to swing your arm ends at my jaw. Too much cologne is the olfactory equivalent of screaming at everyone rather than talking to them. It's like blasting your music in the subway.

I guess I get screamed at every day by lots of women wearing scents strongly.
Funny how no one ever criticises them.
Cheers,
Renato

Cheers,
Renato

They are wrong too. It is just as difficult to tell a woman to her face that she is wearing too much perfume as it is a man. Trust me the offense is equal. Regardless of gender we are more likely to complain about it to the other people in the room/area that are putting up with it as well than we are to ever tell the over-spritzer. Once had to use the phone of a woman who must have bathed in Giorgio, not recommended. I actually wondered if she sprayed her phone, the scent was that strong.

Last edited:
Cheers,
Renato

Yes they do.
It's like the personal hygiene conversation, no manager wants to do it, and you do it in private.
A lot of workplaces are going Fragrance-Free for exactly this reason; because people don't know how to moderate their fragrance use, so it gets banned outright.

Yes they do.
It's like the personal hygiene conversation, no manager wants to do it, and you do it in private.
A lot of workplaces are going Fragrance-Free for exactly this reason; because people don't know how to moderate their fragrance use, so it gets banned outright.
I'm waiting for the social police to implement that where I work - they'll probably do it on the basis that it "creates allergies". Like the no-peanut-butter rule at kindergarten and school.

I use three half sprays strategically placed. My goal is to be subtle and smelling swank, not blowing people out of the water. The worst is when I walk by the ladies at work and I end up smelling like them because they decided they wanted to smell like a French hooker.

No, wait. I don't want to insult French hookers, they smell wonderful. The ladies at work? Not so much...

Yes you are, they even wrote a song about you. Real Men Of Genius.

Exactly. (Awesome video, btw!! Hilarious!)

Wearing a lot of fragrance so that someone can smell you minutes after you walked by because you want to be noticed, even if you're not seen, probably means you should be seeing a psychiatrist to discuss exactly why you want to be noticed so badly. And being noticed because of that much fragrance is not the good type of attention. I hate when someone walks by leaving trail of fumes behind them from the other side of the mall, offending everyone in that path. Talk about being inconsiderate!

Cheers,
Renato

They sure do criticize them! Usually not to their face, but people certainly say to others how offensive someone's fragrance can be.

Last edited:
Wearing a lot of fragrance so that someone can smell you minutes after you walked by because you want to be noticed, even if you're not seen, probably means you should be seeing a psychiatrist to discuss exactly why you want to be noticed so badly. And being noticed because of that much fragrance is not the good type of attention. I hate when someone walks by leaving trail of fumes behind them from the other side of the mall, offending everyone in that path. Talk about being inconsiderate!
+1 - Any 20 something kid in my office that wants to "control people's memories" and be recognized by scent without being seen, even by the scent cloud he leaves behind, is going to be sent home or to the health club for a shower.

They are wrong too. It is just as difficult to tell a woman to her face that she is wearing too much perfume as it is a man. Trust me the offense is equal. Regardless of gender we are more likely to complain about it to the other people in the room/area that are putting up with it as well than we are to ever tell the over-spritzer. Once had to use the phone of a woman who must have bathed in Giorgio, not recommended. I actually wondered if she sprayed her phone, the scent was that strong.

You seem somewhat sensitive.

Recently a female friend criticized me - for not wearing a scent strong enough. I only had put 8 sprays of Polo on that morning before catching up with her that afternoon.

To my mind, it's pretty pointless wearing scents for no one to notice.
Cheers,
Renato

Yes they do.

From what I see, the USA and Canada are going puritanical for supposed health reasons - banning scents in hospitals.
Meanwhile, in Australia, last time I was in the emergency ward of a public hospital three years ago (my father was ill) I was wearing my usual six sprays. And the Doctor on duty totally blasted me into insignificance with the amount of scent he was wearing. He was leaving vapour trails all over the place as he went from bed to bed.

Which reminds me, last time I went under the surgeon's knife, I wore six sprays of Bvlgari PH. No complaints from the people working on me.
Cheers,
Renato

I apologize for not comming back to respond to this thread. My original intent was not to cause a rift among members just to simply see if others spray more than the 2 spray rule. I see I'm not the majority but I am not alone in this so there's something to it. I will say like reneto1 I get nothing but good vibes from others including a few occurrences yesterday

Meanwhile, in Australia, last time I was in the emergency ward of a public hospital three years ago (my father was ill) I was wearing my usual six sprays. And the Doctor on duty totally blasted me into insignificance with the amount of scent he was wearing. He was leaving vapour trails all over the place as he went from bed to bed.

You're in Australia -- it's probably to repel those large spiders! :ohmy:

You're in Australia -- it's probably to repel those large spiders! :ohmy:

You have to remember one thing - there are around 12 sprays per millilitre in most bottles. If people were only really using just one or two sprays a day, most of those Douglas stores along that ultra long street in Berlin (the one with the unpronounceable name that starts with a K) would close down.

I really don't think that I'm in the minority here.
Cheers,
Renato

You have to remember one thing - there are around 12 sprays per millilitre in most bottles.

I'm not too sure of that. I know that there are some brands whose atomisers spray more or less than others (the silver atomisers on L'Occitane mens frags in the amber bottles are one example of a very generous spray) but .08mL seems too small an amount to me. I'm not saying that there aren't atomisers that do this, but I don't think it's representative of the majority of bottles.

Even the weaker atomiser tops, like the ones on samples/decants, have to spray more than .08mL. My 2.5mL decants from TPC had maybe 10-12 sprays in them (admittedly the atomisers on those things are quite generous), and that usage is about on par with my Andy Tauer sample set.

It would make a good experiment. If someone wants to donate to me a brand new bottle of Noir de Noir I'd be happy to record my usage. Obviously the 100mL bottle would allow for a more easily calculated average :D

I'm not too sure of that. I know that there are some brands whose atomisers spray more or less than others (the silver atomisers on L'Occitane mens frags in the amber bottles are one example of a very generous spray) but .08mL seems too small an amount to me. I'm not saying that there aren't atomisers that do this, but I don't think it's representative of the majority of bottles.

Even the weaker atomiser tops, like the ones on samples/decants, have to spray more than .08mL. My 2.5mL decants from TPC had maybe 10-12 sprays in them (admittedly the atomisers on those things are quite generous), and that usage is about on par with my Andy Tauer sample set.

It would make a good experiment. If someone wants to donate to me a brand new bottle of Noir de Noir I'd be happy to record my usage. Obviously the 100mL bottle would allow for a more easily calculated average :D

Hi, yes you are correct, they do vary.

I tested spray numbers by spraying 10 mls of each of them into a laboratory pipette. I wrote the exact results up in someone's post in Basenotes, but can't find it.

From memory, the Creed and early Boss scents were around 8 sprays to the ml. Average bottles were more around 10 to 12 sprays per ml. And many of those 30ml bottles had smaller sprayers where it took 15 sprays to get a ml.

Of course, I only tested a few bottles of each. Someone testing many more bottles from different manufacturers may get different results.
Regards,
Renato

You seem somewhat sensitive.

Recently a female friend criticized me - for not wearing a scent strong enough. I only had put 8 sprays of Polo on that morning before catching up with her that afternoon.

To my mind, it's pretty pointless wearing scents for no one to notice.
Cheers,
Renato

Wow, 8 sprays of Polo?

Really?

$donkey_playing_dead.jpg

Top Bottom