What's new

I'm that guy.

You seem somewhat sensitive.

Recently a female friend criticized me - for not wearing a scent strong enough. I only had put 8 sprays of Polo on that morning before catching up with her that afternoon.

To my mind, it's pretty pointless wearing scents for no one to notice.
Cheers,
Renato

Are you certain she was not being sarcastic. It does not take 8 sprays for someone to notice, especially with Polo. If she was serious she was likely in the minority. Perhaps she is just used to it from you. We do get accustomed to things (although I never got accustomed to my co-worker's Giorgio).
As to sensitive, I love scent (I'm in Sniffapalooza) I just hate getting blasted with it.

My wife has a very sensitive sense of smell. She says she can still smell my cologne, or even my shaving cream or aftershave, right before bed. By that time, I've had it on for 12-14 hours or more. I can't smell my shaving cream or aftershave anymore. But she can. If I put on 8 sprays of anything, she'd have a migraine just being in the same room as me.

Just because you think 8 sprays are necessary doesn't mean it won't seriously offend others around you, or even cause health issues. Even a pleasant fragrance can be offensive, if overwhelming.

Are you certain she was not being sarcastic. It does not take 8 sprays for someone to notice, especially with Polo. If she was serious she was likely in the minority. Perhaps she is just used to it from you. We do get accustomed to things (although I never got accustomed to my co-worker's Giorgio).
As to sensitive, I love scent (I'm in Sniffapalooza) I just hate getting blasted with it.

One spray of polo got lots of semi-negative comments from my coworkers...I go through hundreds of decants so I'm switching up scents every day and each scent sprays a different amount which makes it very hard to judge how much is too much. I usually try to keep it 1-3 sprays max, I prefer to err on the side of caution. many days I go completely unnoticed but other days I get comments or complaints. The guy at the desk next to me will always speak up if my cologne is strong. many days he'll cough and say man you're potent today I knew you were in because I could smell your trail in the hall, and often that's with 1 spray from a decant atomizer...when he complains, I'll ask him if it smells bad and he always says no it smells very nice it's just way to strong. So even very nice scents can offend people when overapplied.

The lady that comes by to collect and wash our labware is always doused in cheap perfume, you know when she's made the rounds because it lingers everywhere. we all complain to each other about how bad she smells behind her back but never say anything to her directly, she's a sweet old lady. So I always tell my coworkers if I ever smell offensive like that PLEASE tell me...they've been very nice about letting me know if my scent it too strong. As i said above, some days I'll hear about it being too strong when i've applied 1 spray...be careful

The lady that comes by to collect and wash our labware is always doused in cheap perfume, you know when she's made the rounds because it lingers everywhere. we all complain to each other about how bad she smells behind her back but never say anything to her directly, she's a sweet old lady.

Old age can effects your sense of smell. She probably has to apply more to be able to smell it herself.

+1

Polo? I've never sprayed Polo and not sure I'd want to. Finger on the top, tip the bottle, swipe behind each ear and down the front of my neck.

No, she wasn't being sarcistisc.

By sensitive, I mean sensitive to people wearing more than minuscule amounts.
Cheers,
Renato

I use 4-6 sprays, get no complaints.

Not picking on you specifically, but your comment is a good kickoff to say that the women in my office giggle after you [any of you who are doing this] leave, and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Not picking on you specifically, but your comment is a good kickoff to say that the women in my office giggle after you [any of you who are doing this] leave, and not in a good way.

If they really did giggle all the time at loud scents, well, who cares?
Cheers,
Renato

I usually do 3, one on each side of the neck, and one on the chest.

That said, I migrate my frags with the season. Winter/cooler = "darker" more leathery/woody scents.
Spring/Fall, lighter, more floral.
Summer, citrus.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a citrus that has decent staying power.... and I'm not going to be the guy that takes a bottle to work to "refresh" during the day.
My biggest let-down was GFT Limes. I absolutely love the scent in the Skin Food and cologne.
Unfortunately, the cologne lasts maybe 15 minutes.... 30 if I do 6 sprays.
Scratch that.
I've been running the Bigelow frags for a few months....
Elixer White for summer. Lasts longer than GFT Limes, but still not noticeable after a few hours.
Elixer Blue for spring/fall. A bit more potent and longer lasting.

Elixer Black for winter.
This scent just "works" for me. SWMBO comments nearly every morning. I was concerned that it might be a bit much at work, but apparently it is not offensive. My "personal space" comfort zone extends roughly a "forearm and a hand" away.
Ever since I've been wearing black, I'm finding people regularly invading that space and I'm fighting the urge to move away.

Now, the summer frags and their lack of durability bugs me and I'd like to find a nice citrus that lasts for a few hours without being overpowering at the beginning.
My morning consists of an hour commute, and my boss doesn't arrive until about 30-45 minutes after I start, so I'm basically without human contact for the first 2 hours of my day.
After that, it's another hour or more before I'm getting into regular contact with anyone else.

Nice write up, Ill be looking into Bigelow now. Thanks.

My wife has a very sensitive sense of smell. She says she can still smell my cologne, or even my shaving cream or aftershave, right before bed. By that time, I've had it on for 12-14 hours or more. I can't smell my shaving cream or aftershave anymore. But she can. If I put on 8 sprays of anything, she'd have a migraine just being in the same room as me.

Just because you think 8 sprays are necessary doesn't mean it won't seriously offend others around you, or even cause health issues. Even a pleasant fragrance can be offensive, if overwhelming.

Sounds like somebody is pregnant?

Nice write up, Ill be looking into Bigelow now. Thanks.

Some BBW stores still stock it, some have discontinued it.
They usually have a 2-for-1 or buy 2 get 1 free deal going, brings cost to around $15 or $20 per bottle.

If your local store no longer stocks it, they have their "Signature" line that is very similar, but a little more costly.

I used to work with a guy whose shower faucet controls read:

Hot
Cold
Cologne

I think hot and cold were permanently out of order.

Last edited:
Whoops - today I'm that guy.

4 swipes of Himalayan Musk attar :S

I'm an idiot - even 2 swipes of this stuff is more than enough.

Top Bottom