What's new

im sure i understand what "shave ready" means

i think i finally understand what shave ready really means. i maxxed out on every stone including the bevel setting on my gold dollar then tried doctor mats routine he does with a natural stone where you run it under low flowing water till the blade stops moving and then strop and repeast it again with full blast singk water. i went to strop on the leater this time and it felt much different. i felt every single imperfection in the leather strop i have while stropping it. when i was finished i tested it on some stomach hair and at first i didnt think it was cutting cause i couldent feel it cutting the hair but it sure cut it. im sitting down for a moment since it took me about 2 hourst to get it finished before i shave with it but if preliminaries mean anything ill have never trully had a shave ready straight razor but i bet this shave will be great!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shave-ready is an individual personal opinion. Some go for the ultimate keenness (sharpness?) while others tend more towards shaving comfort based on their shaving technique. I feel that a person's standard for "shave-ready" may be based on the edges they use as they develop their SR shaving technique.

I started my SR shaving development chasing the keenest edge. Eventually I found it using a GD W59 finished on diamond pasted balsa (possibly just a fluke). Later I started developing more "comfortable" edges but found that I still tended to prefer keenness over comfort. Others of course are different in their desires.

Shaving with the keenest of edges requires the greatest of concentration on your technique to achieve your desired shaving result with minimal blood loss and skin irritation. A more "comfortable" edge requires slightly less concentration on technique for a similar (but not the same) result. I prefer shaving with a higher level of concentration.

Keenness and comfort are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, however I find that there is drop in keenness with any increase in comfort.

It is up to the individual to determine what shave-ready is for him or her self.

Shave Ready is completely up to the individual. Different beards, beard growth patterns, skin, techniques, and soaps. I have sold a few on the bay, would not call it Shave ready. But the individual that purchased it was very happy with the edge and thanked me for a shave ready razor. I have purchased shave ready that was not ready. To each their own.

Top Bottom