What's new

ILLEGAL COFFEE ?

Long story short, horrible stuff, avoid at all costs ….
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG

Is that ground coffee or an instant coffee? I'm fairly sure this is not available in Ireland. Might sound like a strange question, but is it typical for sugar to be added to ground coffee in the US?

Is that ground coffee or an instant coffee? I'm fairly sure this is not available in Ireland. Might sound like a strange question, but is it typical for sugar to be added to ground coffee in the US?
No. Not in the US. It is a product from Mexico though, so maybe there.

EDIT: apparently served with cinnamon added as well.

Instant , but even with a boiling the stuff does not dissolve !

This might be a very specialized thing. There are some coffees that I've had in Latin, Greek & Middle Eastern locales that are spiced on purpose and are used very different from the standard European/North-American "Grind it and pour water over it." coffees.

Some coffees are highly spiced and meant to have a lot of other things added to them. I had some coffee in Greece once that was mostly a frothed combination of cream and instant milk and spices with sort of a turgid little bit of instant coffee whipped into it. That sounds gross, but oddly enough, it was good. "NescafeNes" IIRC. Everyone in the cafe was having it. People carried their own personal little coffee whips and you could hear them whipping their coffee at the table. Very different from a "cup of Joe" in the states, but completely normal there.

But I doubt that the "coffee" portion of that drink would have tasted good by itself.

The bag you showed is their ground coffee. View attachment 1141437
This is their instant coffee.
you are correct...."molido" means " ground".... However I did follow the directions, I think the coffee dissolved but the piloncillo did not, the pieces were very hard , and the flavor was not very good at all...for 59 cents I am not really complaining. As you see on the directions, a small amount makes a huge pot , one small pouch makes an entire quart !

Top Bottom