What's new

*****iKon Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen these things at Mod edit, but have never heard a single mention of them here on the forums. Anyone have one of these? It would be a shame if a safety razor company withered and died because of lack of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats up with these Razors and why are they so damn expensive, are they good shavers? I know there stainless steel but come on.

I have one of the newer OC Ikon razors, and I really like it. It shaves like a Gillette New Deluxe head. It is very well made. It's heavier and made of solid SS so it will last a lifetime or more. Paid $145 for mine and I think it is totally worth it.

Last edited:
The founder Greg is a decent guy. I bought a handle from him and when it seemed to me to not fit the head i wanted to put on it, he actually sent me a head that would fit. I think he started out truly wanting to make something outstanding and he happened to have the resources to take the bold step and try (not many others have). He was wise enough to make Ikon special and did some numbered limited editions. It worked probably better than even he expected, thanks to ebay and crazy people with money to spend on something useful and exclusive. The prices now are way beyond where he started. He seems to be content with selling on ebay for as much as he can get now, and i don't blame him at all for capitalizing on the brand he created. Over the past two years since he started he's made some mistakes and had some not perfect product, but he doesn't deserve all the crap that has been thrown at him on various forums and blogs. He's just a guy with a dream. Not an ugly corporation trying to sell junk. King Gillette probably would have quit before he ever got funding for his idea if he had to read what people said about him on the internet. As it was, it took him seven years of hard work just to get the first Gillette razor on the market. And you better believe, $5 was a damn expensive razor in 1904.

Whats up with these Razors and why are they so damn expensive, are they good shavers? I know there stainless steel but come on.

I don't know if they're good shavers as I don't have one. I can only speculate that the high price is due to supply and demand. I'm not sure if Greg has a one-person operation but if he does, that would explain the low supply. When was the last time you saw one on sale on the BST?

The founder Greg is a decent guy. I bought a handle from him and when it seemed to me to not fit the head i wanted to put on it, he actually sent me a head that would fit. I think he started out truly wanting to make something outstanding and he happened to have the resources to take the bold step and try (not many others have). He was wise enough to make Ikon special and did some numbered limited editions. It worked probably better than even he expected, thanks to ebay and crazy people with money to spend on something useful and exclusive. The prices now are way beyond where he started. He seems to be content with selling on ebay for as much as he can get now, and i don't blame him at all for capitalizing on the brand he created. Over the past two years since he started he's made some mistakes and had some not perfect product, but he doesn't deserve all the crap that has been thrown at him on various forums and blogs. He's just a guy with a dream. Not an ugly corporation trying to sell junk. King Gillette probably would have quit before he ever got funding for his idea if he had to read what people said about him on the internet. As it was, it took him seven years of hard work just to get the first Gillette razor on the market. And you better believe, $5 was a damn expensive razor in 1904.

nice info, thanks for posting.

The founder Greg is not a nice guy- he has been banned from B&B because of his poor behavior, as retailiation he used eBay and his website to make personal attacks on the Mods and owners of this site.He went so far as to call some of the employers of the men here and make accusations.

No, not a nice guy at all.

If I'm not mistaken I thought I saw those handles on the bay with all kinds of flaws and being imported from the far east, if you want a nice custom metal handle contact Bob's Razor Works.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
but he doesn't deserve all the crap that has been thrown at him on various forums and blogs.

Thank you for your opinion.
My personal opinion as a member of B&B doesn't quite match yours, but you are entitled to it.
I'll caveat that with the knowledge that you obviously don't have all of the information available regarding shabby personal attacks in Internet Forums and in eBay Ads.

I was kinda wondering how an Ikon post was even allowed. I thought the banned filters wouldnt allow such words? Just wondering, because i saw another "banned" company mentioned recently too, and was like, how'd that get on here?

I was kinda wondering how an Ikon post was even allowed. I thought the banned filters wouldnt allow such words? Just wondering, because i saw another "banned" company mentioned recently too, and was like, how'd that get on here?

I heard they got rid of the filtering for those vendors recently.

Banned vendors are no longer filtered. We can discuss them, but they aren't welcomed themselves.

The Ikon prices are driven by supply and demand. On ebay he tends to start his starting bids low. Sometimes the auctions finish high, occasionally a bargain can be had.

I have one, and the workmanship is good. I couldn't see any imperfections until I took some macro photos in a certain light (showed minor tooling marks from the lathe.)

I did see some of the ebay auctions where he made jibes against B&B/people. Not classy and may have lost him some bids.

Wow Thanks for the info guys, here is how i see it, if there are mixed feelings about him and most of them negative ill use my better judgement and stay away, sounds like a one man operation if he is selling 1 or 2 at a time, I'm sure he wont be happy to get a return :eek:/ IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom