What's new

If You've Only Got $50...

Ok, so today is my birthday and I usually go out and buy myself something to celebrate. Don't worry, my wife treats me well, but I still treat myself on my birthday. This year, I decided that I will treat myself to something(s) shaving related. Here's the catch...for my sanity and the sake of marital harmony, I don't usually spend more than $50. So, here's the question- If you only have $50 to spend on some shaving nicety, what would you spend it on?

First, Happy Birthday!!

:happybday::happybday::happybday:

Second, it really depends what all you have currently.

You could buy a soap or cream and matching aftershave milk and Cologne from Saint Charles Shave.

Happy birthday Mainecanefan!

I would buy the B&B essential brush right when it comes out, or buy a penhalgons soap.

Happy Birthday first of all.

If you have one in your area that offers it, how about a real barbershop shave? That's what I did for my birthday. A shave, haircut and massage, all for under $50.00, tip included, at my local barbershop. Man I felt like a million bucks coming out of that shop that Saturday morning.

Happy Birthday! I did this a few years ago on my fortieth. I bought a Merkur 38C. It was my first new Merkur and I've never looked back. It has become my favorite razor, My vintage Gillettes are collecting dust 95% of the time.

But, yes it depends on what you already have. You can't go wrong with any shaving related splurge! :smile:

My only advice is that since it is a special pruchase try to make sure it's something you won't regret. If it will be a fragrance (soap/cream, EDT, Aftershave) get a sample first so you won't carry a memory of disappointment along with your birthday purchase. Good luck and happy spending!

Gold SLANT?

Penhaligon's Shave Cream?

Several tubs of TOBS?

A selection of Pinaud Clubman after shaves, for that daring "Old Man Scent"

Happy Birthday! I did this a few years ago on my fortieth. I bought a Merkur 38C. It was my first new Merkur and I've never looked back. It has become my favorite razor, My vintage Gillettes are collecting dust 95% of the time.

Big +1. Can't go wrong with a shiny new Merkur.

Do you have some high quality aftershaves yet? This is something I overlooked early on in my aquisition of razors, soaps, and creams and now wish I had picked up some better aftershave balms or skin food/milk type products before blowing my budget for a while.

Personally I would get one of these nice $45-ish scuttles I'm seeing here. I want one of those things bad.

I'm with Tony. It depends on what your shaving gear looks like and where you see any gaps.

Another way of making the decision is to consider what, if anything, you especially like about wetshaving. For example, some guys like cool razors, others appreciate fancy brushes, others dig fancy countertop gear like pewter shaving bowls. (Of course, there are those who are into all of it!)

Dave

Put it on a horse at 10-1, if it wins, buy something for the wife for $150 and yourself for $150 and save the rest for a rainy day. If it loses - there's always next year :wink:

Another happy belated birthday wish here! You might've already pulled the trigger, and you got a bunch of great suggestions.

I just wanted to note that I think this is the first ever budget-related thread where we all played by the rules and stuck to the requested budget. I thought that deserved a moment of quiet respect. :lol:

The rules appear to not have been broken. I think right now I'm considering either the Slant 'hammer (I like the feel of heavy steel) and a really good aftershave and cream. Using Nivea aftershave is great, but there's clearly something missing from it. I think I'm going to stay away from the Gtown scuttle ideas. It's beautiful stuff, but I just shattered a shaving mug in the shower last week (and am getting the stitches out of my foot today) and I would hate to have something happen to a beautiful piece of functional art.

Top Bottom