What's new

If You Prefer Unbleached Boar, Why?

I have my own reasons for a general preference for unbleached boar (but not an exclusionary one), but I'd like to hear from others here the reasons they prefer having unbleached boar brushes vs bleached.

I'll chime in with my own reasons in a bit.

And there is a reason I'm asking.

Bill

Last edited:
I always assumed it’s that the more rustic and user-unfriendly the pig hair initially is, and the more time it takes to break-in, the longer the knot is likely keep its good characteristics and its shape after you finally get it tamed. Bleaching accelerates the break-in period but it weakens the hairs.

But I’m interested in what you think.

Incidentally, I recently bought one of the new Omega / Connaught Ivory premium boars 011911 and it’s a soft-tipped sweetheart right out of the box. Completely different from the Jade handled one. It’s lovely but I wonder how it will fare over the long haul.

Incidentally, I recently bought one of the new Omega / Connaught Ivory premium boars 011911 and it’s a soft-tipped sweetheart right out of the box. Completely different from the Jade handled one. It’s lovely but I wonder how it will fare over the long haul.
As it happens, at the beginning of the week I ordered one of the Omega (Connaught) Ivory 011911 premium boar brushes for myself.

I have no worries about the longevity of a well-maintained (and well-rotated/dried) boar brush, whether bleached or not. They just get better and better IMO.

I'm still hoping members here who have expressed a fondness for unbleached board will cite why they have this preference. I expect the reasons will overlap with by own, but...

Bill

Top Bottom