What's new

If you had $35 to choose one shaving cream...

For the rest of your life which one would you choose?

I'm really just wondering where I should lean on this one... I'm a soap guy, but its only because the stuff is cheap. I am a college student and am usually pretty strapped for cash. I just realized that I have a gift card with $35 on it which the amount will start to deteriorate next month...

These next paragraphs are just about what I've tried, you don't have to read them to suggest anything =)

I've tried Mama Bear's soaps and pretty much adore every single one that I've gotten. I've tried her Toasted Coconut, Vanilla Creme (I think that's the name), and Dragon's Blood (?) [also, not a big fan of this one, but if you're in the Chicago area I plan to go to Woodfield mall this weekend, maybe we could meet up and exchange/PIF... because honestly I just won't miss it... its a great soap though!]

I've also tried Pirate's cove's Tangerine and Coconut, both are pretty good.

So, I obviously like Coconut/vanilla... However, I'm open to pretty much any scent except ones that are... like... deodorant smelling? You know what I mean? If you tell me Gillette shaving gel I will throw that stuff out the window just because of the smell :thumbdown the other reasons I would throw it out are obvious

I've tried some shaving cream samples and I loved Trumper's, I was sad to see the actual price. The others I wasn't impressed with, but I wasn't discouraged with either. About a year ago now I got some Yardley Gold shaving cream.... I about died smelling that, it was wretched... it also left my skin feeling irritated. Also, the Dragon's Blood irritates me, but neither of these irritate my skin to the point that if I actually LIKED the scent I wouldn't use them. However, I dislike both of the scents (convenient, eh?)

So, if nobody can convince me otherwise I want to try Trumper's and will probably be picking it up this weekend.

in my humble opinion. I just love Trumpers. They're my go-to cream. I love the Limes and Almond "flavors." I just bought some GFT and a tub of coconut. It sounds like you like coconut - the Trumpers coconut cream is really nice but I find the Almond the most moisturizing of all of them.

Trumpers are a little pricey, especially on a student's budget, but they're a great product and the tubs, especially, last a good long time.

For the rest of your life which one would you choose?

I'm really just wondering where I should lean on this one... I'm a soap guy, but its only because the stuff is cheap. I am a college student and am usually pretty strapped for cash. I just realized that I have a gift card with $35 on it which the amount will start to deteriorate next month...

These next paragraphs are just about what I've tried, you don't have to read them to suggest anything =)

I've tried Mama Bear's soaps and pretty much adore every single one that I've gotten. I've tried her Toasted Coconut, Vanilla Creme (I think that's the name), and Dragon's Blood (?) [also, not a big fan of this one, but if you're in the Chicago area I plan to go to Woodfield mall this weekend, maybe we could meet up and exchange/PIF... because honestly I just won't miss it... its a great soap though!]

I've also tried Pirate's cove's Tangerine and Coconut, both are pretty good.

So, I obviously like Coconut/vanilla... However, I'm open to pretty much any scent except ones that are... like... deodorant smelling? You know what I mean? If you tell me Gillette shaving gel I will throw that stuff out the window just because of the smell :thumbdown the other reasons I would throw it out are obvious

I've tried some shaving cream samples and I loved Trumper's, I was sad to see the actual price. The others I wasn't impressed with, but I wasn't discouraged with either. About a year ago now I got some Yardley Gold shaving cream.... I about died smelling that, it was wretched... it also left my skin feeling irritated. Also, the Dragon's Blood irritates me, but neither of these irritate my skin to the point that if I actually LIKED the scent I wouldn't use them. However, I dislike both of the scents (convenient, eh?)

So, if nobody can convince me otherwise I want to try Trumper's and will probably be picking it up this weekend.

If you have a local Crabtree and Evelyn store, go by and sniff their creams, Sienna and Nomad especially. And you might as well by a puck of each while you're there. :laugh:

I have two favorite creams:

AOS sandalwood and Santa Maria Novella. The SMN is more expensive than $35, but it will last forever. I really feel it's more of a soft soap than a cream.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that's been suggested thus far.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet is a fine SC... Around $30 or so for 5 ounces.

My all time favorite cream though is Trumper's Coconut... second would be Trumpers GFT... third is Pens BB.

So much to try, so little time!

I have two favorite creams:

AOS sandalwood and Santa Maria Novella. The SMN is more expensive than $35, but it will last forever. I really feel it's more of a soft soap than a cream.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that's been suggested thus far.

LOVE both of these. I am going to get a few more SMN shaves under my belt and then probably make a post about my experiences. I've used it 10 times so far and there is no noticeable loss of volume. You could do far worse than AOS or SMN for a desert island scenario, and probably not much better.

Quietville,

+1 on the Cella :001_smile

Also P160 - another very fine Italian soap, now in the process of being discontinued :sad:

As far as 'cream' creams go:

Musgo Real and Taylors Avocado are also favourites of mine.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Sounds like you've tried various soaps and creams and mostly choose based on scent. All the suggestions above have been good. I suggest you go to Merz Apothecary, or
Macy's downtown, or the Truefitt and Hill store on Michigan Ave and check out as many scents as you can. The TH store is generous with samples, and carries lots more than TH brands.

Let us know what you choose.

I would get Castle Forbes Lavender. I really want to try that. Many on this forum say its got a real natural lavender scent, far from that deodorant type scent your trying to stay away from, AND it gives a good shave.

Top Bottom