What's new

If you get a DFS shave, then shave again a day later, any point in a WTG pass?

Let's say you shave ATG and get a fairly close shave, like a DFS. The next day you decide, "Hey! I'm going to shave!" Is there any point in using a WTG pass for pass one? Are you actually removing hair? What are your thoughts on this? I've actually been wondering if there is any point in me going WTG on my face. Lately I've been starting by going ATG (mostly), and I may need to do a couple of passes and clean-up depending on how much stubble I have that day, but I figure the less passes I make, the lower the chance of me irritating my skin (assuming my technique is good enough).

Do you guys always go WTG? Even if you have very little stubble?

Last edited:
I shave every day, the same way every day. N/S on face and neck. Followed by XTG (from ear toward chin) on face and S/N on neck (mostly ATG).

I shave every day, the same way every day. N/S on face and neck. Followed by XTG (from ear toward chin) on face and S/N on neck (mostly ATG).

+1. But it's important to remember that each person is different, OP. What works for some simply isn't going to work for others. Your best option is to experiment and find the routine that works best for your face and skin!

I usually make the same passes every morning. WTG then XTG on face, WTG - WTG - XTG on neck. If I change from that, usually get some irritation on my neck. Small patches, but there nonetheless.

I'm a daily head shaver and I've been experimenting lately with leaving out the WTG pass and it doesn't feel any different in the end. It does however save me time and product because I don't have to reload my brush. If I have for some reason, more than a days growth, then I'll go WTG first.

I'm a daily head shaver and I've been experimenting lately with leaving out the WTG pass and it doesn't feel any different in the end. It does however save me time and product because I don't have to reload my brush. If I have for some reason, more than a days growth, then I'll go WTG first.

Exactly the same here. Daily head shave and I trimmed my routine down to XTG + ATG, it saves time, product and my technique means the shave is as comfortable as going ***, XTG & ATG. The only time I throw in a WTG pass first, is when I have more than a days growth... which isn't often since I hate the look of my head with a MPB 5 o'clock-shadow.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My first pass is WTG/XTG, depending on the location on my face. The second is ATG/XTG, also depending on the location on my face. That first pass most certainly removes hair--much more so than the second one. Occassonally, I have a need for limited touchup, but not all that often (or if I am in hyper-perfection mode).

Really, I could stop after that first pass and have a shave that would shame the old M3. Typically, I have a couple extra minutes for that second, and it just makes things that much better. :thumbup:

On the other hand, skipping the WTG part of the pass results in a close but far less comfortable shave.

I shave BBS daily and I almost always do a WTG. One day's growth is 0.3mm average, which is still a significant patch of whiskers for the blade to cut. Even with all the XTG/AGT BBS touch-ups, I have been fortunate to avoid irritation. Doing one of the passes WTG is significant beard reduction while keeping the chance of irritation at bay.

My shaves go WTGx2, followed by a few ATG strokes on trouble spots.
It doesn't matter if my last shave was yesterday or 2 weeks ago, this is what works best for me.

Why would you want to eliminate a pass. I've been thinking about adding in a few more. More me time and I always have the best conversations with myself. Not to mention staring at the picture in my bathroom for an extended period... oh wait that's a mirror.

I shave everyday except on very rare occasions like an overnight camping or something. Sometimes I shave twice in a day like when I shave very early morning and then want to be fresh for a night out. In all cases I follow a WTG/XTG/ATG 3-pass routine. If I ever eliminate a pass it is the ATG.

I don't know how exactly it works, but if I don't do a wtg or a mixup of wtg/xtg as my first pass I might as well say I want irritation every day. As I understand it it removes much of the hair so I don't have to work as hard on the following pass(es).

Top Bottom