What's new

If it became COMMON KNOWLEDGE

that the Dollar Shave Club razors/carts are merely cheap-O Dorco razors/carts which you can buy (for less $$$$$$) directly from Dorco's own website, would this basically sink Dollar Shave Club? I would have to imagine it would....it seems to me that DSC relies upon their marketing AND the fact that very few people know (or care to take 10 seconds to learn) that the blades they sell are actually readily available directly from the manufacturer for a better price than DSC offers.

Correct. Information is worth money. DSC provides a valuable service to it's members and apparently, there are many who enjoy the service and convenience they provide and don't want to source their own carts/blades.

that the Dollar Shave Club razors/carts are merely cheap-O Dorco razors/carts which you can buy (for less $$$$$$) directly from Dorco's own website, would this basically sink Dollar Shave Club? I would have to imagine it would....it seems to me that DSC relies upon their marketing AND the fact that very few people know (or care to take 10 seconds to learn) that the blades they sell are actually readily available directly from the manufacturer for a better price than DSC offers.

Welcome to the world of reality.

My coworker told me he uses DSC and loves that four blades show up a month. I told him he could buy direct from the MFG and he shrugged. So while that information certainly would help some people, there are others who can't be bothered.

Edit: I just went to Dorco's site. If you actually use one Pace-6 a week like DSC recommends, you pay $105 from Dorco. DSC is $108; so I think Dorco has figured it out, probably from all the press they have received (graphics for CBS, Gizmodo, etc are shown)

Oh and what a joke, Dorco is selling a 5-pack tuck of blades for $8.95. It's $7.91 from Amazon for a 100-pack.

Last edited:
This is no different than anything you purchase. Kitchen cabinets from Home Depot? Get them straight from the wholesaler. Candy bar from the gas station? Buy it bulk from a wholesaler. Why buy your steaks from the store when you could save money buying a whole cow directly from the butcher? Even the wholesalers for all these items are still just middle men. The nature of most retail business models is just marketing someone else's product to you at an inflated price and possibly a bit more convenience (no guarantee there).

DSC won't be going anywhere for quite some time, whether their source of blades is made common knowledge or not. That automatic package that shows up every month is just what the consumer wants. To not have to worry about something as trivial as chasing down their next package of razors for a reasonable price.

For many people it's just a chore to suffer through. For me it was for a long time, and so I devoted as little thought to it as possible.

Always a tough call for me on these things. On one hand I'm very big on convenience and time saving, but on the other I am very, VERY cheap!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's common knowledge. I'd get a year's worth direct from Dorco for less than DSC.

I told a bud, who was in DSC. He just shrugged. Think he liked the guy's commercials/videos. Stayed DSC, though he's a DE shaver now.

AA

DSC is more convenient than economical and some people like convenience. $9 every two months is not exactly a burden.

I get the pace 4 every other month, for my wife and daughter. I just checked the Dorco site and the 4 pack is $5.50 where I pay DSC $6 shipped to my mailbox. Dorco's total with shipping and tax comes out to $8.93.

Now if I do a year's supply; 6 4-packs, the shipping is free, so with tax it comes out to $35.64 and DSC is $36.00. Not much of a savings, and I wouldn't know if Dorco throws in freebies like DSC. They gave me a sample of Dr. Carver's shave butter, and on my next shipment they are giving me a Dr. Carver's Magnanimous Post Shave sample.

And with the inconvenience of my pc locking up while on Dorco's website, I think I'll stick with DSC.

DSC is more convenient than economical and some people like convenience. $9 every two months is not exactly a burden.

+1. Think this is close to the truth. The DSC model is to price their service as less $ that Gillette, and just enough more than ordering direct so that their service (convenience) is worthwhile to many consumers. Seems to work.

we Brits really did a number on Americans - 200 years later and you're still fighting the man :)

no depilation without representation!

Lack of basic skepticism and basic research acumen extends far and wide in society in general, not just to DSC. Bevel is even worse; charging $30 per month for less-than-stellar DE shaving supplies that arrive only quarterly.
Perhaps some people do not mind that they are being taken for a ride. They like being sold and overcharged. Maybe it is the convenience of having a package put in front of them, choosing it, and then riding it on autopilot. Some don't know better and/or have no motivation to know better.
Lack of inquisitiveness was almost excusable when, in order to become informed, one had to trek to the library. Now, the beginnings of any research effort are at the fingertips. Still, people choose to be un-knowing (to put it politely) despite the ease of knowing better.
There are all kinds of laws pertaining to advertising, financing, and many other things that attempt to keep people from getting taken advantage of. However, no matter how many such laws are passed, there is no completely protecting people from their own choice to be stupid.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Some folks like the idea of DSC as a service, i.e., someone working for them. Others like the thought that they'll never have to remember to get more carts. Still others like the sound of "Dollar Shave Club" more than the sound of "Dorco."

Top Bottom