What's new

If I love the Schick injector...?

Having just learned about SE safety razors last week, I was pretty excited to try it. I just got an injector M1 in the mail today and it far exceeded my expectations. The very first shave with it was easier, faster, and closer than I've ever gotten with a DE. I'm not going to be so rash as to dump the DE immediately, but the thought did cross my mind - it's really that big of a difference for me.

Is there anything else out there that could potentially be as revolutionary for me? I'm still just digging in to this world.

I use an injector as my primary. Love it. The no brainer ease of a cart with a DE/SE 'feel' along with terrific blade longevity. Complicating things and 'chasing the dragon' aren't necessarily a requirement for membership here at B&B. :wink2:

I use an injector as my primary. Love it. The no brainer ease of a cart with a DE/SE 'feel' along with terrific blade longevity. Complicating things and 'chasing the dragon' aren't necessarily a requirement for membership here at B&B. :wink2:

I definitely hear you. I have no intent to become a collector and could see myself using the injector all the time. At some point, I'd like to try a GEM, but am not thinking it will be a game changer for me. I was mostly sharing and wondering if anyone else had something that made a big difference for them.

I definitely hear you. I have no intent to become a collector and could see myself using the injector all the time. At some point, I'd like to try a GEM, but am not thinking it will be a game changer for me. I was mostly sharing and wondering if anyone else had something that made a big difference for them.

Happy Shaves!

Bay rum as an after shave was a big difference for me.

Having just learned about SE safety razors last week, I was pretty excited to try it. I just got an injector M1 in the mail today and it far exceeded my expectations. The very first shave with it was easier, faster, and closer than I've ever gotten with a DE. I'm not going to be so rash as to dump the DE immediately, but the thought did cross my mind - it's really that big of a difference for me.

Is there anything else out there that could potentially be as revolutionary for me? I'm still just digging in to this world.

You might want to take a look at Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES)

When I started using artist club razors, I considered dumping most of my de’s.

I didn’t, but I can say without a doubt, I get better shaves with se.

I almost gave up on wet shaving last winter/spring. I had been at it for 8+ months and wasn't seeing that much difference. Injectors changed everything for me. I recently bought a DE from RazoRock that I've been trying to decide if I wanted to keep. Jury is still out there.

Before I began using injectors, I'd tried the other SE platforms: GEM and AC. I hadn't given either a really strong trial, as my skin couldn't take shaving with them everyday. I can with injectors. Some I have to be much more careful with, but I'm still able to shave daily with all of the injectors, if not with all of the blades (twin blades seem to cause ingrowns for me). I have slowly worked my way to where I can use my AC and GEM razors daily, but my shaves are much more careful and considered. My injectors are easy to shave with and I can fly through a shave pretty quickly. The results don't seem to last as long, but I almost can't shave every day with my Stainless Steel Colonial General and a Proline as it gets too close. I occasionally use a GEM Junior (1912 style head) with the SS PTFE blade. It also gets a bit too close, but it seems to be a bit easier on the skin than the General.

Are either of these platforms better than injectors though? Depends on what you want in a shave. Easy, carefree, close and comfortable? Injectors. Hard stop. Very close, a bit less comfortable especially initially, more care required but rewarding of good technique? Both GEMs and AC razors fit the bill here. Really, it is hard to go wrong with any of the platforms. GEMs have a much lower entry cost, and the blades are much less expensive. Id start there if you want a different SE experience.

Enjoy the type M!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been wet shaving for about 6 years now, with the majority of that time using a DE razor. In particular my Merkur 33C.

About 3 months ago I delved into the SE world by way of my Gem GBar. I didn't enjoy the GBar much, but really enjoyed the Gem MMOC I acquired. Once I began enjoying SE shaves with the MMOC it was off to the races.

I then acquired injectors and really loved the shaves I got from them. Falling further down the rabbit hole I delved into the artist club type razors. For me, that blade has been "revolutionary." It might be for you, too, but maybe not.

I would definitely recommend the artist club format.

Either way, just enjoy the adventure and experimentation. It's a fun ride.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

"If I love the Schick Injector..."

Then you really should grab a pack of those cheap plastic Bic Sensitive razors (or Bic Normal if you are UK/Euro) next time you are at a grocery or pharmacy because you will be pleasantly surprised...

I have a Schick J1 that was my Dad's. I have used it for many years as my once a week shave before I found this DE thing 3 years ago. I do use the Schick on occasion but it is just too light and aggressive for me to use on a regular basis. I might have to use it in the morning though since I am working on a 4 day growth and might use it to carve it off.

I have yet to delve into the world of Gem type razors and might have to get on soon just to have one. Been also going to look into the new Schick clone made by eBarbershop but haven't gotten around to buying one. Like I really need another shave item.

"If I love the Schick Injector..."

Then you really should grab a pack of those cheap plastic Bic Sensitive razors (or Bic Normal if you are UK/Euro) next time you are at a grocery or pharmacy because you will be pleasantly surprised...

Surely you jest. I used Bic Sensitive one blade disposables for years and still got ingrowns. Disposable razors require pressure to work and that causes hairs to be cut below skin surface = problems.

How is the adjustability feature? How would you rate the range of aggression?
Depends on the model of Type M for level of aggression, but I typically shave on a 3 or 4 and my DE I use otherwise is the Mamba .70. The Type Ms go all the way up to 8 for adjustability. They also have many settings in between each number, I believe it is four if I recall correctly. Each of those four is a very minor adjustment, but the difference between each actual number is fairly significant. The M3 can get VERY aggressive. It's number 1 setting is the same as the M1, but the 3 setting is closer to the M1's 4 setting. I think the 5 or 6 on the M3 is about an 8 on the M1. A 5 or 6 on the M1 is the same gap as my Type E or F for reference. So the M3 on 8 is much more blade gap than any Schick ever made. I love both of my Type Ms, with and without twin blades. I don't really think they need the twins though. Plenty efficient without them for me, even on a 4.

Look at the Micromatic Monday thread where we discuss the particularities of the GEM SE type razors. Many find the Micromatic Open Comb to be in a class by itself. The cost of entry is less than $20.

How is the adjustability feature? How would you rate the range of aggression?

Take my answer with a grain of salt, as I've only got a couple of shaves with this and not that experienced in wet shaving overall. The adjustabiliy feature hasn't had a big impact for me. I could certainly see a significant difference in the blade gap between 1 and 8 when looking at it, but the feel of the shave was about the same. It shaves quite close but is almost difficult to cut myself with it. My guess is that this has to do with me being able to use a very shallow angle due to the head being so thin.

Depends on the model of Type M for level of aggression, but I typically shave on a 3 or 4 and my DE I use otherwise is the Mamba .70. The Type Ms go all the way up to 8 for adjustability. They also have many settings in between each number, I believe it is four if I recall correctly. Each of those four is a very minor adjustment, but the difference between each actual number is fairly significant. The M3 can get VERY aggressive. It's number 1 setting is the same as the M1, but the 3 setting is closer to the M1's 4 setting. I think the 5 or 6 on the M3 is about an 8 on the M1. A 5 or 6 on the M1 is the same gap as my Type E or F for reference. So the M3 on 8 is much more blade gap than any Schick ever made. I love both of my Type Ms, with and without twin blades. I don't really think they need the twins though. Plenty efficient without them for me, even on a 4.

I shave with mine on "5" for everything except for around my mouth & chin where I use "3".

At some point, I'd like to try a GEM, but am not thinking it will be a game changer for me.

For me, the GEM SE razors are not anywhere near as good as the Injectors. IMHO, the difference is the blade quality. No one seems to make a good (sharp, smooth) SE blade. I've tried all the regularly available ones in the hope of finding something that worked for me, but they're all a bit rough, and longevity is not better than DE blades. Now I only use my GEM when I have a beard and I'm cleaning off my neck and trimming the edge of the beard.

The one thing the GEM style razor has over DE and Injector razors is audible feedback -- that head really lets you know when you're cutting whiskers!

As with all things like this, YMMV.

Top Bottom