What's new

Identification help please

Hi there B&B members.

I need some help with identification of this razor.

It looks slightly modified as the bowed shaped of the upper blade overlapses with the Warranted text on the tang.

Anybody got any clues about the producer and age of this Straight?

Thanks in advance

501801005_e1d92443-7eba-457e-a3fe-8ff14fe474a2.jpg

Not exactly, but "celebrated", while used everywhere, was especially common among the Sheffields, which also frequently had the tang bowing upwards as yours does with curved letters like that.

Could be a Wade and Butcher celebrated, but without marking I would just guess based on scales and the curve that it's an 1880-1910 Sheffield.

Others here may be able to say more and call me wrong, I'm not backing that assessment up with much

Legion

Staff member
I’ll tell you with near certainty that it is an old blade, reground into a more hollow grind at a later date.

If I had to guess a date I’d say the blade was made in the 1820’ish, and reground around 1880ish. Ballpark, of course.

Not exactly, but "celebrated", while used everywhere, was especially common among the Sheffields, which also frequently had the tang bowing upwards as yours does with curved letters like that.

Could be a Wade and Butcher celebrated, but without marking I would just guess based on scales and the curve that it's an 1880-1910 Sheffield.

Others here may be able to say more and call me wrong, I'm not backing that assessment up with much
Thanks. Anything is useful as I haven't got much clue about it :)

Top Bottom