What's new

I'd like to find an electric shaver that gets good results for me

I've tried a LOT of electrics over the years, from the ubiquitous Remington, several different Norelco rotaries, and several other foil razors. The only one that I kept using for any time, and even bought the newer version of, was the Panasonic Arc series, with each version noticeably closer and smoother shaving the prior. (Arc 2, 3, and 4 models, the latter two with the cleaning charger). I found using them wet, with a tiny bit of shave gel provided a more comfortable shave.

My biggest gripe was the battery life would start declining after around 18 months or so, and combined with the cost of the replacement cutter/screen set at the same time, rendered it pretty much disposable. I'm now back to shaving with traditional single blade razors (DE/SE), and with good prep, get a closer shave, albeit taking a bit more time. Still pull out the last Arc 4 model now and then, which makes getting the back of the neck between cuts super easy.

About the only major player I haven't tried was a Braun, which didn't offer wet-shaving until after I migrated back to using a blade.

I got five years use out of my previous shaver, Panasonic ES8103. I replaced it because after five years the battery wouldn’t hold a weeks charge and the cutters and screens needed replacing. That’s a long time 60 months. My current Braun shaver is 24 months old and the battery holds exactly the same number of shaves as it did when new. I’m thinking of replacing the cutter cassette because it’s two years old and Braun recommends changing it every 18 months. It doesn’t really need it though.

Funnily enough this little Philips travel shaver is starting to grow on me!

It's the quietest of the three by quite some way and I think it should work OK next time I try it as long as I go in circular motions (last time I tried it I didn't realise I was supposed to do that).

It's strange how it was only £12 which is way cheaper than the other two and yet it's really growing on me!

Hopefully it will work next time I try it ^_^

I have the same Philips travel shaver and it's a good shaver if you prefer rotary shavers (I do), though it takes longer to use than a triple-head model.

You don't have to spend alot of money on a rotary shaver, if that's what you prefer. The higher end models will shave somewhat closer (mostly due to the lift-and-cut) but may irritate more, and when they go dull they can really irritate alot by pulling (whereas the cheaper models are easier to keep sharp). The lift and cuts shave as close as a blade, with the less inexpensive models being somewhat less close but still acceptable for the better part of a day.

I have the same Philips travel shaver and it's a good shaver if you prefer rotary shavers (I do), though it takes longer to use than a triple-head model.

You don't have to spend alot of money on a rotary shaver, if that's what you prefer. The higher end models will shave somewhat closer (mostly due to the lift-and-cut) but may irritate more, and when they go dull they can really irritate alot by pulling (whereas the cheaper models are easier to keep sharp). The lift and cuts shave as close as a blade, with the less inexpensive models being somewhat less close but still acceptable for the better part of a day.

In the end, the part of the shaver that makes a difference is the heads. All the other parts of the higher priced shavers don’t make a lot of difference but add cost. I purchase the higher end shavers to get the latest cutting function with the least amount of extras. To get a close comfortable shave, I have to accept recharging capability but little else. No cleaning stations, no replacement cutting functions (Other than trimmer). Right now I’m using a Braun 7896s shaver that’s a little over two years old. I haven’t replaced the head cassette because the original one still works great.

Oh I've found a way I do definitely enjoy using an electric shaver! That Philips travel shaver is great for touching up my shave a little after I've finished with a safety razor, in case I missed any areas!

So hooray :D

That's actually the way I sometimes use an electric. I tend to get ingrowns with a blade shave alone, but after a blade shave if I do a quick once-over (less than a minute or so) with a rotary, it not only gives me a BBS shave but eliminates ingrown hairs. Not every morning, but it's a change from either exclusively electric or exclusively blade, and sort of starts my face from zero for the next rotation.

That's actually the way I sometimes use an electric. I tend to get ingrowns with a blade shave alone, but after a blade shave if I do a quick once-over (less than a minute or so) with a rotary, it not only gives me a BBS shave but eliminates ingrown hairs. Not every morning, but it's a change from either exclusively electric or exclusively blade, and sort of starts my face from zero for the next rotation.

I realize where I am, a shaving forum, but isn’t using both a double edge safety razor followed by an electric shave a little over doing it? I guess if it works go for it.

I realize where I am, a shaving forum, but isn’t using both a double edge safety razor followed by an electric shave a little over doing it? I guess if it works go for it.

Actually pretty common. A safety razor provides a lot closer shave, but tends to leave patches sometimes. An electric cleans up, and many use one for just that (I'm not about to do an ATG pass at the corners of my mouth, for example. I sometimes use an electric for the reasons mentioned, or sometimes use a blade exclusively, or sometimes an electric. Depends on the day and my mood. If shaving were just for the utility if scraping the fur off my face, I'd still be using carts. And yes, it is a shaving forum.... :001_smile

Somebody mentioned the Pani ES8103. That was the best electric I ever had, and I've had many.

The Pannys are great electrics, and probably provide the closest shave you can get with an electric shaver. They have a multitude of models, and never seem to retire the old ones. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a good rundown of their top 3 Arc shavers:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've tried & tried the buzzers - first one was a red remington or norelco circa 1965? double rotaries. It was a fail, but that was the 60's so .. actually went to college with a Schick Injector and that electric. I tried an electric Braun in the 90's, still fail, A year or so ordered a Panasonic whatever the closest shave most expensive etc. Fail, sent back. Stuck with a bottle of Lectra Shave

On some beards, like mine, they don't work

After a bit more time using them I found... they are good, electric shavers. But they're just not especially enjoyable, if that makes sense?

Like, maybe they do get results quicker and with a bit less irritation than a safety or cartridge razor, I'm really not sure. But I just don't really enjoy using them so I end up going back to safety razors and sometimes cartridge ones.

Also they're loud and sometimes I don't want to make lots of noise, or can't because it's late/early!

As I say though, I don't think they're BAD as such... just maybe not for me personally :)

Like you, I want to see what the current state of the art is in electric razors. I'm waiting for delivery of a Panasonic ARC-5 ES-LV9. I've never tried an electric wet so that will be interesting.I get real comfortable shaves with my injector razor so it will be an interesting experiment. I always had razor burn with electrics in the past.

I have an Arc5 and love it. With the right pre-electric shave gel (Afta) I get a shave approaching what I can get from my DE, GEM, Schick injectors, or Sensor. It actually does better in my problem areas around my jawline and under my chin than the blades - what takes a lot of buffing with a razor is gone in one pass with the Arc5.
Also, the Arc5 is much better and 75% faster on my head than the blades. Just use the Afta and then a good aftershave and you are good to go.
The Arc5’s are also super easy to clean.
I go into more detail in the Electric Razor thread...
Good shaving!

To be clear, I like both wet blade shaving and dry (with Afta) electric shaving.
I generally use the electric for my head, every other day, and the blade for my face every day (in the shower).
I sometimes will shave my face with the electric on head days.
Each is better at some parts of my face than the other. Blades are better on the flats, electrics along the jaw lines and under the chin (my blade problem areas). The electric is better on my head, and WAY faster than blades on my head (or face, for that matter).
No matter what, though, the absolute closest shave would be a combo of both blade and then electric touch up, or electric with blade touch up.
It’s amazing what a blade will miss...even with buffing, in the trouble spots. It’s also amazing how easily and completely the electric will clear those same spots; and vice versa.

Top Bottom