What's new

I'd like to apologise

To Wilkinson Sword blades (German made) and Palmolive Shave Cream (Italian made).

In this thread I described the German made Wilkinson Sword blades as 'utterly meh' :ohmy:. This assessment couldn't be further from the truth. While I still agree that they aren't the sharpest blades about, I have come to realise that they are really are quite smooth (at least as smooth as my favourites: Lord/Shark and Dorco). But what really sets them apart is their longevity. I have had 30 plus shaves on one blade, and my shaves just keep getting better and better. It feels like it's actually gotten sharper over time! This blade is like a fine wine - so much better with age. Smooth, sharp enough, and long lasting - what's not to like?

In this thread I feel I was a little unfair in Palmolive shave cream (Italian made). While I still believe it's not the best cream about, I think a lot of my issues came down to a bit of the infamous YMMV. In that thread I was exclusively using a Baili razor. I've since acquired a R41, and have none of the issues with weepers when using Palmolive paired with the R41 as described in that thread. Definitely a horses for courses scenario - although don't ask me why the Baili + Palmolive causes issues while the R41 + Palmolive causes none!

Anyway, since I've gotten the ball rolling, you all may like to use this thread for your own apologies.

I'd like to apologize to Personna for my post in the Bad Personna (Israeli) Red Blades thread.

Post #77 correction: There was nothing wrong with these Personna Red blades - it was my technique that was flawed. I did save one blade and kept on using it. It's up to 11 shaves and I may retire it soon. I did buy another 100.

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I started DE shaving in November and have sampled almost two dozen blades, forming snap opinions of them along the way with the assistance of a lot of forum reading. I started revisiting my “crappy” blades last week and discovered that I had simply been a talentless hack, and that every blade I’ve bought can do the job it was designed for.

I found even rough and seemingly tuggy blades can be used - in a super-mild razor. Actually helps.

AA

To Wilkinson Sword blades (German made) and Palmolive Shave Cream (Italian made).

In this thread I described the German made Wilkinson Sword blades as 'utterly meh' :ohmy:. This assessment couldn't be further from the truth. While I still agree that they aren't the sharpest blades about, I have come to realise that they are really are quite smooth (at least as smooth as my favourites: Lord/Shark and Dorco). But what really sets them apart is their longevity. I have had 30 plus shaves on one blade, and my shaves just keep getting better and better. It feels like it's actually gotten sharper over time! This blade is like a fine wine - so much better with age. Smooth, sharp enough, and long lasting - what's not to like?

In this thread I feel I was a little unfair in Palmolive shave cream (Italian made). While I still believe it's not the best cream about, I think a lot of my issues came down to a bit of the infamous YMMV. In that thread I was exclusively using a Baili razor. I've since acquired a R41, and have none of the issues with weepers when using Palmolive paired with the R41 as described in that thread. Definitely a horses for courses scenario - although don't ask me why the Baili + Palmolive causes issues while the R41 + Palmolive causes none!

Anyway, since I've gotten the ball rolling, you all may like to use this thread for your own apologies.

Congratulations!!

First, it takes a big man to apologize (especially twice)!!

Second, revisiting items that did not performs takes courage (especially when you were ‘bitten‘ last time)!

Finally, I agree with your assessment: German Wilkies are very nice blades (just below my top tier)! :a29: :a29:

No, Voskhod, I am not apologizing. I meant every word of it. And upon mention of your name, I spit on the ground with contempt like some Transylvanian hearing the words "Castle Dracula"...before crossing myself and uttering a small prayer.

There is no excuse for something manufactured in a Russian city with paved roads and a public library to underwhelm like that.

The Cadet Open Comb razor. No! Don't try to slink away, India. You have to answer for this. The best thing about your Cadet was that I could put the heavy, chrome-plated brass handle on a Muhle R89 head. Otherwise, your razor was like running uphill to smell a bucket of sewage. Think about that.

I think certain parties owe me an apology.

Re: the Wilkinson... “Swords.” I’m sorry you apologized. You were right the first time.

Clearly age has leathered up your skin.

:kyle1:

It happens, haha... The first time I tried a Gillette New I thought it was horrible because it was more aggressive than I thought it would be and the blade I put in it was past its prime, and I was using a brushless cream for the first time and using it absolutely wrong. It was a rrrrrough ride. Lol.

Yes - I also like the German Wilkinsons. As you say, they're not the sharpest, but they're reliable AF and in the right razor they're great. I like them in de89 style razors - very predictable and forgiving. And Palmolive is great stuff too, though I've only used the British green tubes and sticks.

I'd like to apologize to Personna for my post in the Bad Personna (Israeli) Red Blades thread.

Post #77 correction: There was nothing wrong with these Personna Red blades - it was my technique that was flawed. I did save one blade and kept on using it. It's up to 11 shaves and I may retire it soon. I did buy another 100.

proxy.php

This is one of the sharpest blades I’ve ever used and is most definitely razor-dependent. Just a little too much in a more aggressive razor, just right in a medium one, for me anyways ☺️

Top Bottom