What's new

ID for possible Thuri please

Is this the stone we are talking about? I got this from SLiceofLIfe about a year ago. It's a very small stone. I don't know much about it. I wonder if it would be beneficial to use it after my coticule...

Olivia also seems to have "Original Müller Thuringian" in 8x2. They are only 26.50 Euros, are these the same as the one on Ebay? I think I'm even more confused now than when I started this thread. Time to go re-read everything again :lol:

Olivia also seems to have "Original Müller Thuringian" in 8x2. They are only 26.50 Euros, are these the same as the one on Ebay? I think I'm even more confused now than when I started this thread. Time to go re-read everything again :lol:

The new Thüringers didn't come in 8"x2" cuts (and not at that really low price). I guess she's mistakenly calling that stone a Thüringer too. Consider that MST is selling actual 125x25x15 mm Thüringer for 18.00 euro.

Is this the stone we are talking about? I got this from SLiceofLIfe about a year ago. It's a very small stone. I don't know much about it. I wonder if it would be beneficial to use it after my coticule...

It sounds like it's one of the ones he bought from his bulk order with MST. Those are very good. You'll be pleased with the results.

Yeah, I got it from SliceOfLife, I don't know why but I haven't really used it. How many passes would you recommend after coticule with water only? Should I also start with light slurry or water alone?

JF

What is it that you like about the Frankonian hone better than an Escher?

It is just as fast for honing. I get an equally sharp blade (measured by the amount of time noticeable stubble comes in) and it leaves the blade with a smooth edge (almost coticule smooth). Eschers can leave a keen edge.

They're all good finishers. Coti, Escher/Thuringian, Frankonian, Asagi from JNS, Charnley Forest, etc. will all leave a great edge on a razor. It really just comes down to how bad you have HAD.

If I was a minimalist all I'd own is a bevel setter and a coticule and could be quite content for a long time.

I posted a thread a few months back on this.

These stones are NOTHING like Thuringians and cost ~$20 direct from Mueller.

The fact that this seller calls them Thuringians and is making so much profit off people who don't know any better sickens me. He lifted the description from TimberTools, who also show the poor taste to falsely advertise these as Thuringians.

That stone in the sellers picture looks a LOT more like a Thuringian than any of the 8x2" Mueller "German Whetstone" that I've seen. I have very little doubt that the stones he's actually shipping out DON'T look like that.

The stones I imported are actual Thuringian rock. Same location, Same mine, same rock. They are ONLY available in the 4x1" size now. Timbertools seems to have a small supply of larger cuts (They sell them as "Eschers"), but Mueller ran out of anything above 4x1" at least a year ago.

Consider that MST is selling actual 125x25x15 mm Thüringer for 18.00 euro.

Actually they aren't. They didn't even have them a year ago (I know, I tried to get them). Mueller just NEVER updates that site. The 110x25 are all they have (or had a year ago).

Last edited:
Actually they aren't. They didn't even have them a year ago (I know, I tried to get them). Mueller just NEVER updates that site. The 110x25 are all they have (or had a year ago).

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. It still serves as a good example of how much an actual Thüringer costs, though.

I also want to add that I did contact this seller on Ebay via PM multiple times informing them that saying this was an Escher was misleading and inaccurate followed by information as of why.

The seller responded with an arrogant tone as if they didn't get a damn as long as people bought the stone.

FYI.

Top Bottom