What's new

I went to a party and...

A shaving event broke out!

Had the pleasure to be invited to the Maggard Meet last weekend again this year. Brad and Casie do it right and each year it just gets better. It was
great to connect with my fellow manufacturers and welcome back regular attenders from years past. Almost like a high school reunion of sorts. Mantic 59 was roaming around interviewing people and Michael Freedberg of youtube fame was in attendance as well. Only expectation for vendors was that they donate items for the raffle and offer free samples at their tables.

The attenders paid $15.00 per ticket and it was limited to 250 tickets. Demand was so strong that tickets were sold out one month before the event. Each person with a ticket received a $10.00 gift card to any one of four local restaurants. There were free soft drinks and water for everyone and a PIF table that was loaded - it was a pool table overflowing with donated shave gear.

All attenders were automatically entered into the raffle for door prizes and there were 100 door prizes. Think about it, 250 attenders and 100 prizes - pretty good odds there! Each person got one free pint of brew from a local brewery as well. Like I said, it was a party not to be missed next year!

There were twenty vendors including:

• Above the Tie
    • Stirling Soap Company
    • Barrister & Mann
    • Blackship Grooming
    • Catie’s Bubbles
    • Captain’s Choice
    • Chatillon Lux
    • Declaration Grooming
    • Dogwood Handcrafts / Southern Witchcrafts
    • Dr. Jon’s Handcrafted Soap Co.
    • Henri Et Victoria
    • Mike’s Natural Soaps
    • Noble Otter Soap Co.
    • Sapone di Paolo
    • Shannon’s Soaps
    • Through the Fire Fine Crafts
    • Timeless Razor
    • Wholly Kaw
    • Wolf Whiskers
Here is The Captain along with The Maestro himself, Brad Maggard:

IMG_4806.jpg

Here is left to right the day before the event: Stan (Above the Tie), El Capitan, Peter Wolf (Wolf Whiskers Brushes)

IMG_4773.jpg

Here is The Captain explaining why the customer's life can finally be complete if he were to pick up one of our very popular lather bowls. And yes, the wives / girlfriends were in attendance and asking questions:

IMG_4795.jpg

Another husband d-r-a-g-g-e-d to the event by his wife...

IMG_4803.jpg

Last edited:
I live only an hour and half away and I wanted so bad to go, but I couldn't make it work in my schedule. Maybe next year.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Where is it held? Looks like I need to plan for next year. Great photos. Sounds like a blast.

Where is it held? Looks like I need to plan for next year. Great photos. Sounds like a blast.

It is located in Adrian, Michigan - roughly an hour west of Detroit. One attendee drove up from Louisville, Kentucky for the day. Vendors were from New Jersey, Georgia, New York, Canada, Virginia, etc.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It is located in Adrian, Michigan - roughly an hour west of Detroit. One attendee drove up from Louisville, Kentucky for the day. Vendors were from New Jersey, Georgia, New York, Canada, Virginia, etc.
9 hours from me. Doable. Safe to assume info for next year will be on their website?

Nicely done Skipper!
Great intel, and like you said, Shore Leave is the best duty!
(Just waiting for the stories about 'torpedo juice' to make the skuttlebutt complete!)

9 hours from me. Doable. Safe to assume info for next year will be on their website?

This is still on their site now and was how everyone kept up to date:2018 Meet | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

If you buy tickets there will also be several emails just prior to the meet with a LOT of helpful information. Where to park, were to eat, where to stay, what to expect, etc. Maggards does a great job in over communicating and that is why it runs so smoothly every year.

Here is a shot of the PIF table. Pay It Forward by dropping an item on the table, then pick one up that you would like. Maggard generously dumped a pile of stuff that was dented or scuffed to get it started. Here is a picture of the pool table loaded with stuff:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.12.03 PM.png

Here is a shot of all the vendors:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.12.18 PM.png

Nice to see a lot of young faces in the business!

And holy guacamole, that PIF table. Just seeing it is worth the price of admission!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I know it’s a tall order......but any chance you could name the vendors? It would be cool to put a face to the name.

I know it’s a tall order......but any chance you could name the vendors? It would be cool to put a face to the name.

That is a great idea, let me do my best - may not know the names of some but I know the company name.

Front row, left to right:

(White shirt) Henri et Victoria, (Don’t know - husband behind her) , Through the Fire (husband behind her), Peter Wolf of Wolf Whiskers, (not sure), Scott in green t-shirt of Declaration Grooming, Maggard employee, Brad Maggard, Matt of Above the Tie, Shannon’s Soap in light blue shirt, Chris of Catie’s Bubbles in taupe colored shirt, Will of Bannister & Mann in black, his mother next to him in black, Paolo of Sapone di Paolo which has been renamed “Eleven” (see his shirt.)

Next row, left to right:

Directly under Exit sign Henri et Victoria, husband of lady in front - not sure the company, white shirt with glasses is Jon of Dr. Jon’s, behind Jon is Rod of Sterling with his wife next to him that is blocked out, guy in front of the corner of the screen is Mike of Mike’s Natural Soaps, Dr. Jon’s wife is in front of him, next is the owner of Oleo Soaps, in the yellow is a stunning and dynamic brunette from Captain’s Choice - she clearly runs the company and the guy who tags along is lucky to be a figurehead, tall guy is El Capitan, next two guys in blue are the owners of Timeless Razor - Matt is on the left, guy under the “D” in Maggard on the sign is Stan of Above the Tie, the next two might be from Blackship Grooming - not sure, next two with the guy in baseball cap and wife next to him are with Noble Otter Soap, and lastly is Chatillon Lux.

We had a couple of meals with Stan and Matt of Above the Tie and got to know each other. I had a good visit with Peter of Wolf Whiskers - fascinating business he has. Matt and his brother of Timeless Razors were enjoyable to meet, Scott of Declaration Grooming is awe inspiring hand tying the badger knots he sells. Rod Sterling and his wife Mandy were right next to us, terrific folks. Oleo Soaps I wish I had time to visit more, this was her second year attending. Jon and Kim of Dr. Jon’s were on the other side of us and had a steady stream of folks.

As an aside I will say that all of us vendors look forward to seeing each other at this event. It is common for us to give each other a hearty handshake and inquire how things are going before the event. It is a good time and not to be missed!

Made the trip from central PA ... had a terrific time meeting, greeting, eating with new wet-shaving friends and purveyors of some fantastic goodies!

Congratulations and thanks to Brad and Casie Maggard and all the great Maggard Razors staff and vendors. You made for a great meet-up and motivator to look toward next year's shaving extravaganza. My bag of treats ... waaaaay better'n Halloween! Grow whiskers!

it was our first time at Maggards. Needless to ay we enjoyed it a lot. Yes met the Captain and many others. We will very likely be back next year.

Top Bottom