What's new

I went back to using Boar Brushes

So for the past couple years, I have been using the same setup nearly every time I shave, and that included a synthetic brush - Satin Tip The Purest. I really liked that I didn't have to soak the synthetic, I liked that it dried out quickly and it was so soft on my skin. I got very used to making a nice lather with whatever soap I used.

Then on Monday, I pulled out my Semouge 820 and Omega Boar brushes. I used the Semouge on Tuesday morning and the Omega today. It was a completely different experience than I remember. The brushes exploded into a wonderful slick and cushioned lather with nearly no perceived effort on my part.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I didn't have such a great lather when I used the synthetic brush. And I realize I was definitely working harder to get a decent lather compared to when I use my boar brushes.

Anyway, just an interesting observation. I'm definitely going to using my boar brushes for the foreseeable future.

I have 12 brushes in my den, with 6 synthetic and 6 boar brushes. I feel that my best lathers are made with my boar brushes.

I think a lot of good output comes out of the experience gained. I can have BBS now if I want to, and that is thanks to shaving with different type of razors.

It could be that now you know how to make lather from any brush. I love boar brushes by the way.

I think a lot of good output comes out of the experience gained. I can have BBS now if I want to, and that is thanks to shaving with different type of razors.

It could be that now you know how to make lather from any brush. I love boar brushes by the way.

That could be it, for sure. It is nice that it can happen without even thinking about it too much!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I dont soak my boars. I just wet them. I used to, but have seen no benefit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I used the same Omega 10104 for 5 years, then started trying some synthetics mostly out of curiosity, but also to get a travel brush that I liked. When I went back to boars for my daily, I noticed that I used them slightly differently than I had before experimenting with the synthetics. As if the different brushes taught me something about using brushes.

Boars, especially my Semogue will always have a place in my den. The 620 has a special place in my heart, for its size, it really produces a ton of lather! Glad your back to using the traditional brushes, synthetics are nice, but they lack class YMMV.

So for the past couple years, I have been using the same setup nearly every time I shave, and that included a synthetic brush - Satin Tip The Purest. I really liked that I didn't have to soak the synthetic, I liked that it dried out quickly and it was so soft on my skin. I got very used to making a nice lather with whatever soap I used.

Then on Monday, I pulled out my Semouge 820 and Omega Boar brushes. I used the Semouge on Tuesday morning and the Omega today. It was a completely different experience than I remember. The brushes exploded into a wonderful slick and cushioned lather with nearly no perceived effort on my part.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I didn't have such a great lather when I used the synthetic brush. And I realize I was definitely working harder to get a decent lather compared to when I use my boar brushes.

Anyway, just an interesting observation. I'm definitely going to using my boar brushes for the foreseeable future.

I love my boars and I find them the most versatile of all my brushes. I find syns really decent brushes if dull.

Boars seem to be the only brushes that break in and develop a character based upon how it was broken in and used. Its quite different than other brushes.

Interesting experience no doubt. Perhaps other synth users should give their natural hair brushes a revisit.

I rotate my brushes and enjoy the lot of them. Syns I use for my weekday shaves and keep the boars / badgers for a nice relaxing weekend shave.

Mawashi

Boar sometimes take more effort to build lather but they are unique. They start off as a stubborn stiff bristles but with uses, become this soft and blooming wonder. I love the feel of boar on the face and they do an excellent job in lathering.

I dont soak my boars. I just wet them. I used to, but have seen no benefit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’m with you there. I find if I soak they tend to be kind of floppy when I try and build lather. I just wet them and a swirlin I go.

I find synthetic brushes the easiest to make lather with but the boar brushes are a nice change once in awhile. I like using a boar brush with a hard soap and a large lather bowl. You can really whip up a nice lather.

Thater_lather.JPG

I like my boars. Ive owned various Omega and Semogue boar brushes and they all make a good lather, which being very soft once you break them in.
I love the scritch of a boar and how easily they lather even hard soaps. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my Semogue OC though. I love the brush for its old world craftsmanship and how soft it is even after minimal break-in but its a bit of a lather hog. I find that when I go to do my 2nd pass, it acts like its out of lather and I have to go back to the puck and reload it. Ive never had a boar brush do that to me before and its kind of dissapointing when a cheaper brush like an Omega will outperform it. I may have to try not soaking it and instead just wetting it and seeing if that helps.
Having said that, I really like synthetics too. I find that they are no muss, no fuss and product a great lather with minimal effort. As much as I love the tradition of natural hair brushes, if natural hair brushes were no longer available, I wouldnt miss them because synthetics are so good right now.

My only complaint about boar brushes is, (I hate to sound like a broken record because I've said this before on this forum) I can't seem to get a second pass when I use a shave stick. I try what I think is loading my face with a lot of soap but I never seem to have enough lather in the brush for a second pass.
Can someone who uses a boar brush and a shave stick regularly recommend a boar brush for me?

My only complaint about boar brushes is, (I hate to sound like a broken record because I've said this before on this forum) I can't seem to get a second pass when I use a shave stick. I try what I think is loading my face with a lot of soap but I never seem to have enough lather in the brush for a second pass.
Can someone who uses a boar brush and a shave stick regularly recommend a boar brush for me?

Did you read any reviews on the Semogue mistura badger and boar brush? I just bought one and couldn’t be happier!!! I also wrote a review and there are plenty of other reviews from members on here as well.

Did you read any reviews on the Semogue mistura badger and boar brush? I just bought one and couldn’t be happier!!! I also wrote a review and there are plenty of other reviews from members on here as well.

I'm looking for a boar not a mix. Thanks for your suggestion.

Top Bottom