What's new

I went back to using Boar Brushes

My only complaint about boar brushes is, (I hate to sound like a broken record because I've said this before on this forum) I can't seem to get a second pass when I use a shave stick. I try what I think is loading my face with a lot of soap but I never seem to have enough lather in the brush for a second pass.
Can someone who uses a boar brush and a shave stick regularly recommend a boar brush for me?
I use a boar brush and shave stick occasionally and it is a tough job. Loading the shave stick on the face only lasts me one pass and it is pretty frustrating at times. But to combat this, I load the shave stick on the face and load the shave stick on the brush. I just lather the brush against the shave stick and do it for a good while. This will ensure that you have enough soap on the brush and the face.

I have two boar, one mixed, a the Atomic Rocket synthetic. Each has its place. I find with the boar that it does better and provides a better feel if I use a light touch lathering and applying to my face. The back bone is better maintained.

I also clean my brushes with hot water and air dry while away at work.

Loading soap in the knot is more essential for boars than any other type of brush. The problem with sticks is that you're not loading the brush with soap. What lather gets in there from working it on the face is merely being stored and there's no extra soap to work more of it.

This is why I pressed my Arko stick in a tub, it was better way to do it. Otherwise I had to reapply soap between passes, then work it in again. I often got skin irritation from brush burn and oversensitivity to high alkalinity of the directly applied soap so many times. I tried with very wet brush as some suggested, also loaded soap by swirling the brush on the stick, but it was messy.

IMO sticks are good for travel but a terrible way to shave daily in the comfort of your bathroom. I can't blame the brush for this inerent flaw of shaving sticks.

Last edited:
Welcome back to boars! :a29:

My guess is that the biggest change is that your technique is far better these days!!

Loading soap in the knot is more essential for boars than any other type of brush. The problem with sticks is that you're not loading the brush with soap. What lather gets in there from working it on the face is merely being stored and there's no extra soap to work more of it.
IMO sticks are good for travel but a terrible way to shave daily in the comfort of your bathroom. I can't blame the brush for this inherent flaw of shaving sticks.

Sticks are only a problem with boar brushes. When I use a synthetic brush I can easily get 3 passes. The boar brush does not seem to store enough lather when using a shave stick.

Sticks are only a problem with boar brushes. When I use a synthetic brush I can easily get 3 passes. The boar brush does not seem to store enough lather when using a shave stick.

It's the nature of the beast. If you have no issues with skin irritation, best thing to do is to rub more soap between passes.

Today I had the issue of not having enough cream in my boar brush for a second pass when I used TOBS. I was able to get a great lather for my first past, but there just wasn't enough for a second go. I had to apply some more to my face first. Not a big deal, but it seems to echo the issue others are having with sticks. Maybe next time I use TOBS I'll load the cream into the brush, rather than spreading it on my face before I face lather.

Today I had the issue of not having enough cream in my boar brush for a second pass when I used TOBS. I was able to get a great lather for my first past, but there just wasn't enough for a second go. I had to apply some more to my face first. Not a big deal, but it seems to echo the issue others are having with sticks. Maybe next time I use TOBS I'll load the cream into the brush, rather than spreading it on my face before I face lather.

When I use creams with any brush I put a dab on the brush and then whip it up in a lather bowl. Usually have plenty of lather for 3 passes, even with a boar.

I use a shave stick and a boar for 3 passes every morning. The Omega boars work every bit as good for me as synthetics.

Your issue seems unreal to me, though I do believe you . I'd like to stand at a sink with you and see this phenomena in person. Short of that, I don't have a clue what could possibly cause your problem.

When I use creams with any brush I put a dab on the brush and then whip it up in a lather bowl. Usually have plenty of lather for 3 passes, even with a boar.

Yeah, I'll try something different next time, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work.
Thanks!

My only complaint about boar brushes is, (I hate to sound like a broken record because I've said this before on this forum) I can't seem to get a second pass when I use a shave stick. I try what I think is loading my face with a lot of soap but I never seem to have enough lather in the brush for a second pass.
Can someone who uses a boar brush and a shave stick regularly recommend a boar brush for me?
I have the same issue, but I think my problem is that my boar is the Omega 10049, and is huge. I usually use my Rooney Pure Badger when I use Arko, but the Omega is a must for soaps like Williams.

I absolutely love the way my Omega boar split and fanned out. It is my favorite brush.

I use a shave stick and a boar for 3 passes every morning. The Omega boars work every bit as good for me as synthetics.

Your issue seems unreal to me, though I do believe you . I'd like to stand at a sink with you and see this phenomena in person. Short of that, I don't have a clue what could possibly cause your problem.

I wish you could stand next to me while I try to lather with a boar. Obviously I don't have to use a boar, I could use one of my synthetics but it does bug me too why I just can't seem to get more than one pass from a boar when using a stick.
I've tried several different brushes including a Semogue 610 which seems to be a very popular one. I tried loading twice what I usually apply and still bad results.

What is deemed good lather is very subjective. I see some people shave with dry paste and others with bubbly bloom water. To my personal standards I can't get satisfactory lather unless I load the brush instead of rubbing product on my face. Less issue with badger, more problematic with boar.

How is wet is your brush when you start? I soak mine and then give it one good snap of the wrist.
I soak the brush, then shake out well, build a proto lather on my face with the damp brush, then add water slowly by dipping the tip of the brush. I stop lathering when I start flinging lather, then put some of the extra lather from the edges of my face back onto the brush for the second and third passes.

Prime your brush on the soap stick after you rub it on your face and you will end up with plenty of lather.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom