What's new

I went back to using Boar Brushes

Shouldn't have to do that. I don't with my synthetics.
Each type of brush has its own strengths and weaknesses, quirks, characteristics .....

It isn't pertinent to say "I shouldn't have to to that with boars because I don't have to do it with synthetics". It is pertinent to say "I don't have to do it with synthetics, so I prefer them over boars"

That said, boars do need more product than synthetics do, even perhaps more than badgers do. It's easy to load this extra product, when loading off a puck of soap, but not so easy to do it by first rubbing a shave stick all over your face. Hence, the suggestion to prime the brush off the shave stick.

Alternatively, try using a smaller boar brush for a face lather to avoid having to prime it off the shave stick.

Also note that the more well broken in a boar brush is, the easier it is to lather with and the better the quality of lather it will produce

My current rotation is 1 Synth, 2 Boar and 5 badgers. I like them all, and it boils down to how I feel that day what I end up using.

Use more soap and prime the brush on the stick. What kind of boar brush are you using?.

Clayton

I've tried several different boar brushes, even the Semogue 610 which many guys rave about here. I thought I put on extra soap but maybe I didn't add enough. I'll have to try it again and really pack it on.

I've tried several different boar brushes, even the Semogue 610 which many guys rave about here. I thought I put on extra soap but maybe I didn't add enough. I'll have to try it again and really pack it on.
Add a little more water too.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I've been able to make lather with all the types of brushes I've used. Badger, boar, synthetic, horse. Yet I greatly prefer the way a boar feels. The boars also change and seem to get better after every use, I've yet to experience this phenomena with any of the other brush types. I love the concept of the synthetic but it just feels too artificial to me, too rubbery and mechanical in some way. A badger I was generously PIF'd did the job yet was actually very scratchy on the face.

I'm the cheap guy so boars are the perfect brush type for me. Especially when many folks claim they beat everything else, regardless of cost, once they break in :D

I wanted to say something in my last post on this thread but wanted to be sure of it - It is possible to get enough lather to last 3 or 4 passes from using a shave stick and boar brush to face lather.
To confirm this statement for myself I did an exclusive face lather using my Omega 10098 (which you will agree is a large brush) using my Tabac shave stick and I got enough lather for a full 4 pass shave. It was going on a little light by the 4th pass, but I squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush and got gobs and gobs of lather for the 4th pass.

Some features worth mentioning
1. I have extremely hard water coming from the tap, so it's not that the Omega had the advantage of soft water.
2. My shave stick had already been worn down to a half-inch high nub, so loading more by using the stick directly on the brush wasn't much of an option. The reason I waited till today to post this is I usually do a quick shave stick/ soap puck shave, reloading when I think I want more soap and don't pay much attention to how much lather I'm getting purely by face lathering.
3. My 10098 is very well broken in, which I've already stated affects how much lather the brush produces. So, it's possible a face lather may not be effective while the brush isn't yet broken in.
4. I went really heavy on the first application of the shave stick to my face. Not that I did it just for today's shave , it's just that I've been doing that all along without paying too much attention. It is possible that those coming to a boar brush from a synthetic are probably not applying enough soap to their face at this stage.
5. A well broken-in boar brush is still sensitive to too much water (or too long a soak) or too little water (or too short a soak). I cannot really describe this quantitatively since I'm so used to my boars that I think I get just the right amount of water or soaking duration by habit. To verify this, though, try just dipping a dry boar brush in your sink of water once and lathering with it for the too little water situation and try soaking it for half an hour and then lathering with it for the too much water situation.

So to conclude - I'm definitely a boar brush zealot, but I've extensive experience with synthetics and badgers and I own too many of all 3 kinds. I confirmed for myself my statement in my last post that boars can produce a satisfactory amount of lather using only a face lather. I think it is also noteworthy that all types of brushes have their own characteristics and quirks and idiosyncracies and require an adjustment unique to each kind when using it.

Also, I own Zeniths and Semogues but I definitely prefer my Omega boars. I'm not very happy with the lather I get from Zenith and Semogue, but I suspect if I commit to using one of those exclusively, I should get the hang of it quickly enough given how popular those other two brands are.

TLDR - Boars need more soap :)

I wanted to say something in my last post on this thread but wanted to be sure of it - It is possible to get enough lather to last 3 or 4 passes from using a shave stick and boar brush to face lather.
To confirm this statement for myself I did an exclusive face lather using my Omega 10098 (which you will agree is a large brush) using my Tabac shave stick and I got enough lather for a full 4 pass shave. It was going on a little light by the 4th pass, but I squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush and got gobs and gobs of lather for the 4th pass.

Some features worth mentioning
1. I have extremely hard water coming from the tap, so it's not that the Omega had the advantage of soft water.
2. My shave stick had already been worn down to a half-inch high nub, so loading more by using the stick directly on the brush wasn't much of an option. The reason I waited till today to post this is I usually do a quick shave stick/ soap puck shave, reloading when I think I want more soap and don't pay much attention to how much lather I'm getting purely by face lathering.
3. My 10098 is very well broken in, which I've already stated affects how much lather the brush produces. So, it's possible a face lather may not be effective while the brush isn't yet broken in.
4. I went really heavy on the first application of the shave stick to my face. Not that I did it just for today's shave , it's just that I've been doing that all along without paying too much attention. It is possible that those coming to a boar brush from a synthetic are probably not applying enough soap to their face at this stage.
5. A well broken-in boar brush is still sensitive to too much water (or too long a soak) or too little water (or too short a soak). I cannot really describe this quantitatively since I'm so used to my boars that I think I get just the right amount of water or soaking duration by habit. To verify this, though, try just dipping a dry boar brush in your sink of water once and lathering with it for the too little water situation and try soaking it for half an hour and then lathering with it for the too much water situation.

So to conclude - I'm definitely a boar brush zealot, but I've extensive experience with synthetics and badgers and I own too many of all 3 kinds. I confirmed for myself my statement in my last post that boars can produce a satisfactory amount of lather using only a face lather. I think it is also noteworthy that all types of brushes have their own characteristics and quirks and idiosyncrasies and require an adjustment unique to each kind when using it.

Also, I own Zeniths and Semogues but I definitely prefer my Omega boars. I'm not very happy with the lather I get from Zenith and Semogue, but I suspect if I commit to using one of those exclusively, I should get the hang of it quickly enough given how popular those other two brands are.
TLDR - Boars need more soap :)

Thank you for pointing out these observations. I will try this once more using my Thater boar. I've had it awhile and seems to be pretty well broken in.

I’ve just got tired of my 3 Semogue brushes, I seem to be getting a reaction from them so have bought a Yaqi Sagrada Famillia, I have only used it once so far and have found it to be a great brush and am very happy with it. It could be in time that I go back to my board and have more success, I may find I wasn’t loading enough product or possibly over soaking it, both are certainly possible. I’ll go full circle and maybe start a new thread like this in 5 years!

I’ve just got tired of my 3 Semogue brushes, I seem to be getting a reaction from them so have bought a Yaqi Sagrada Famillia, I have only used it once so far and have found it to be a great brush and am very happy with it. It could be in time that I go back to my board and have more success, I may find I wasn’t loading enough product or possibly over soaking it, both are certainly possible. I’ll go full circle and maybe start a new thread like this in 5 years!

What type of brush is the Yaqi Sagrada Famillia ?

So for the past couple years, I have been using the same setup nearly every time I shave, and that included a synthetic brush - Satin Tip The Purest. I really liked that I didn't have to soak the synthetic, I liked that it dried out quickly and it was so soft on my skin. I got very used to making a nice lather with whatever soap I used.

Then on Monday, I pulled out my Semouge 820 and Omega Boar brushes. I used the Semouge on Tuesday morning and the Omega today. It was a completely different experience than I remember. The brushes exploded into a wonderful slick and cushioned lather with nearly no perceived effort on my part.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I didn't have such a great lather when I used the synthetic brush. And I realize I was definitely working harder to get a decent lather compared to when I use my boar brushes.

Anyway, just an interesting observation. I'm definitely going to using my boar brushes for the foreseeable future.

I love my red Semogue 820. I can face lather with a soap stick or bowl/puck lather with it just fine. It never had that funky smell either for some reason. The only synthetic I have is an Omega S Brush. I thought it would be great for a travel brush and it sure is. But for Father's Day I think i'm going to pick up a Razorock Plissoft. I don't own any badger brushes yet but I think I'll be fine sticking to boar and a synthetic.

I used a Omega 10098 today and man, is it a lather hog. Still trying to get the lather to last for three pass but it is tough. But, I do enjoy the broom-like feel on the face, contrary to popular opinions.

Top Bottom