What's new

I want to try new razor

Hello I am using Edwin jagger de 89 for some time and I want to treat myself with something better for Christmas. I have extremely coarse hair that grows fast and in all directions in neck area. Could you suggest something I could buy and try? Budget, let’s say up to 90 usd

A Mühle R41 (in any of its forms) is worth a try. I have coarse hair that feels like a wire brush after a day's growth, and the R41 mows it down without issue.

Hello. Try Fatip Piccolo SE. With quality blades, this is a very productive and smooth razor. My experience of using it is about one year. Regards, Eugene.

Hello I am using Edwin jagger de 89 for some time and I want to treat myself with something better for Christmas. I have extremely coarse hair that grows fast and in all directions in neck area. Could you suggest something I could buy and try? Budget, let’s say up to 90 usd
Check out the CNC stainless razors on ItalianBarber

I think those earlier guys were on the right track. I would say look at Fatip Gentile or Razorock Game Changer Open Comb version.

The Fatip Piccolo Special Edition has both open comb and solid bar base plates so you can use either one.

You might investigate a slant razor, there are several to choose from. Razorock German 37 is the most inexpensive and shaves well.

The Blackland Dart might be worth a look. It’s $9 over your budget, but it’s supposed to be efficient. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve been thinking about it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello. Try Fatip Piccolo SE. With quality blades, this is a very productive and smooth razor. My experience of using it is about one year. Regards, Eugene.

^^^ +1 ^^^

The FaTip Piccolo SE gives you the best of both worlds - OC and SB base plates - for less than $40US.

If you are adventurous, open to getting a vintage razor and have the patience to master shaving with one, get a 1930s to 1950s Gillette Tech. You won't spend more than $30US. Mild razor that requires proper technique and, as long as you learn and use the correct technique, rewards you with a smooth, relaxing and satisfying shave every day.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Blackland Dart might be worth a look. It’s $9 over your budget, but it’s supposed to be efficient. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve been thinking about it.

The Dart is a great razor that does require a steep angle (ride the bar, handle parallel to your face) to get the best results.

There is also the Karve Brass with a B or C base plate - available in both SB and OC. Less than $100US.

YMMV

Last edited:
You could consider the Rockwell 6s.
Adjustable by changing baseplates. Build like a tank, just 100$.
Very smooth on any setting.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

I would highly suggest Occam's safety razor. All stainless steel with there levels of aggression and two caps. $52 shipped and one of the set ups is like the DE89. Super deal!

Merkur Slant, 37c or 39c depending on your handle length preference. Very efficient without being aggressive.

You'll get a ton of responses to this question. I'll just offer a warning as someone who started with a DE89 but wanted something "better"--the DE89 is an excellent razor that will give you comfortable shaves day in and day out. It's fun to try everything, but my experience is that a $300 razor and a $20 razor can give you the same results if you spend time perfecting your technique with either.

Have fun going down the rabbit hole and good luck finding your holy grail razor! And since you asked, if I had to give up all my razors but one, I'd keep my Razorock Mamba 70 so I guess that's my suggestion--I think it was about $60. But I'll add that of my 40 to 50 razors, the DE89 would still make my top 10.

Really, an EJ, like most other DEs is actually the perfect tool for almost any shaver.

I’m going to be different here and say pick up an SE to try!

I'd suggest you try the Razorock Game Changer or Mamba. The lower gap sizes will resemble EJ DE89 while the higher gap sizes are a bit more aggressive.

To try something different, I might suggest getting both a RazoRock machined SS open comb head and a German 37 head from Italian Barber. Both are appropriate for coarse and crazy beards.

Use your EJ handle and it will be a less steep learning curve. There are many great custom handles to try, after you dial in the different heads.

Wow guys a ton of suggestions. Saying that I know I could stay whole life on my DE and be ok, but where is the fun in that? :) Some of the mentiond options are not easy to find in Singapore, but I found good deal for Muhle 41 so maybe Ill go with that for now.
P. S. Now you got me thinking about all those vintage shavers...

Top Bottom