What's new

I want some Vegetarian Recipes.

Last night we were reheating the leftover quinoa and black beans when I thought, "If quinoa and black beans are good, and quinoa mac-n-cheese is good, quinoa with black beans and cheese must be good." So I melted some pepper jack into it. Yup, it was delicious. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last night we were reheating the leftover quinoa and black beans when I thought, "If quinoa and black beans are good, and quinoa mac-n-cheese is good, quinoa with black beans and cheese must be good." So I melted some pepper jack into it. Yup, it was delicious. :)

Sounds excellent. Here's the next step with Red Lentils. I want to come up with a Red Lentil Chili. I want to use all the traditional ingredients in a chili, but substitute the meat for lentils.

Red lentil chili would work. I realize I am wading into a minefield with this question - would you use additional beans?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Red lentil chili would work. I realize I am wading into a minefield with this question - would you use additional beans?

Ha,ha...Stephen I was setting you up...I just knew that was the next question. Well, I'd like to try it without the beans first, since the lentils can meet their challenge. I'm not opposed to using beans in chili(forgive me Lord) because I like beans a lot. So that could be an addition as well.

I knew it was a loaded question, especially to folks in Texas. :) I rather like beans in my chili. But I grew up in New Hampshire, so what do I know? Let me know how it turns out!

Sounds excellent. Here's the next step with Red Lentils. I want to come up with a Red Lentil Chili. I want to use all the traditional ingredients in a chili, but substitute the meat for lentils.

The thing about Red lentils is that they turn to mush. Good for Dal, might not be so good for Chili. If you want to keep some texture, you might want to try other kinds. French Green lentils stay firm and "al dente" like rice. There's a chart on the internet I saw once that compared the types of lentils and what types of recipes they are good for.

I knew it was a loaded question, especially to folks in Texas. :) I rather like beans in my chili. But I grew up in New Hampshire, so what do I know? Let me know how it turns out!

Hey, I'm in NH and make a good chili -- both with and without beans! But if it's a "with beans" batch, they're black beans, not those nasty kidney beans you see in a lot of places!

Where in NH do you come from?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The thing about Red lentils is that they turn to mush. Good for Dal, might not be so good for Chili. If you want to keep some texture, you might want to try other kinds. French Green lentils stay firm and "al dente" like rice. There's a chart on the internet I saw once that compared the types of lentils and what types of recipes they are good for.

Good point, although I would cook it just as long as the red dal recipe.

Hey, I'm in NH and make a good chili -- both with and without beans! But if it's a "with beans" batch, they're black beans, not those nasty kidney beans you see in a lot of places!

Where in NH do you come from?

Love black beans in chili! And cannellini beans too, if making a white chili.

Grew up in Nashua, went to school in Manchester (St. A's). Left NH in 1997. Still have family and friends there; try to get back about once a year.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hmm, going to have to try black beans one day. I always get those anyway when I go to Chipotle, never thought about using them in chili.

We cook Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers, Celery with Tomatoes in EVO once they are done I add a cup of rice and 2 cups of water bring to a boil and cook till rice is done.

We cut the veggies up in about 1/4 size , dust with Salt Pepper and Tony C's Cajun Seasonings.

Huevos rancheros - I made this this weekend on a BSA campout.

1. Make green chile sauce with 1 cup roasted green chiles, 1 yellow onion, 1.5 cups chicken broth, 2 cloves garlic. Sweat the onions and garlic. Add the chiles and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes to tighten, then add 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Set aside & keep warm.

2. Heat a 15 oz can pinto beans.

3. Dice 2-3 fresh tomatoes

4. Fry whole wheat tortillas for 3-4 seconds per side in 1/8" of oil. Set aside and cover.

5. Fry two eggs.

6. Place eggs and beans on tortillas. Spoon green chile sauce and tomatoes. Garnish with grated cheese and cilantro.

7. Enjoy.

In keeping with the Thanksgiving theme, here's a favourite Indian pumpkin recipe of mine. My mother gave me instructions while I cooked it and took photographs while doing so:001_smile.

Ingredients-

500grams of pumpkin cut into cubes
1/2 cup powdered jaggery

Seasoning-
1tsp sunflower oil
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp broken Urad dhal
1-2 broken dried red chillies

Garnish-
2-3 Tbsp freshly grated coconut

Place the pumpkin with about half a cup of water into a suitable vessel(I use the bottom half of a pressure cooker) and allow it to cook on low heat till nice and tender*. Add a pinch of salt after about 20minutes and mix it up. Keep it on a low flame while melting the jaggery in another pot**. Strain it and pour onto the pumpkin and let it cook on medium till the water has evaporated. Turn off the fire and make the seasoning.
$pumpkin2.jpg$pumpkin3.jpg$pumpkin4.jpg

In a largish iron spoon heat 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil***. Add the mustard seeds. Once they start sputtering add the broken Urad dhal and dry red chillies. Let this fry until the dhal has changed colour but take care not to burn the chillies. This step usually doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.

$pumpkin5.jpg$pumpkin6.jpg

contd...

Add this seasoning to the pumpkin along with the grated coconut and mix well.

$pumpkin7.jpg

Transfer into a bowl and serve hot.

$pumpkin8.jpg

This is a good side dish for both rice and Indian bread meals. You can remove the skin of the pumpkin if you want, but in our house we usually don't.

*The time taken to cook the pumpkin varies with the type. This particular variety took 20minutes.

**If you can get grated jaggery without impurities then you can just add it directly to the pumpkin and omit the melting and straining step.

***You can use any vegetable oil.
Hope you like it:001_smile!

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ashwin, thank you for posting. Your dish looks amazing. Explain powdered jaggery and broken Urad dhal. I could easily Google these ingredients but I want to hear from you.

Ashwin, thank you for posting. Your dish looks amazing. Explain powdered jaggery and broken Urad dhal. I could easily Google these ingredients but I want to hear from you.

Thank you Aaron.

Jaggery is unrefined cane sugar. I think it's the product formed before the molasses are separated from the sugar crystals. I've witnessed the production many years ago when I was in school. I don't know how true this is but I've been told the least pure variety is the tastiest! The only drawback being it needs to be boiled and strained to remove impurities. It's a very versatile ingredient and we use it in many dishes. It isn't overly sweet like refined sugar.
Urad dhal is just black gram/ black lentil and adds some nice flavour when fried.
I knew what jaggery was but needed to Google Urad dhal for the English name:blush:.

Here's a picture I took of the seasoning required for the above dish. (I wasn't able to post it due to limit on number of pictures.)
The dark brown stuff in the bowl is the jaggery and the dhal is next to the mustard seeds.

$seasoning.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom