What's new

I want some Vegetarian Recipes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Making more Red Lentil Dal this evening. Weather forecast is showing rain and cooler (relatively speaking) temps; perfect for dal. :)

Stephen, sounds really good. I had some for lunch today. I made it last Thursday and froze the rest. I added a little rotisserie chicken to my lunch meal, turned out great.

I added a little rotisserie chicken to my lunch meal, turned out great.

We had been talking about doing the same thing!

Looking forward to the temps dropping so I can make my "cool weather" meals. Especially want to make my barley and mushrooms. It's not completely vegetarian as it uses beef broth, but it is really good!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Man I feel old.
One of the newbies at work is vegan and she and my daughter are exchanging recipes.
There is a 3 year age difference between them and I am still older than both of them combined.
Retire already!! ,

I like tomato, onion, feta, olive oil, and some good bread. Black bean and corn fritters are one of my wife's favorites.

I like tomato, onion, feta, olive oil, and some good bread. Black bean and corn fritters are one of my wife's favorites.

Sounds good to me!

We made a big pot of black beans tonight and used some in the quinoa and black bean tacos. :) Plenty of extra blacks beans, too. I like to make a burrito with sweet potatoes, black beans and whatever toppings you like - onions, tomatoes, peppers; I've even added spinach. Spicy black beans and sweet potatoes were made for each other. I'll even microwave a sweet potato, cut it open and pour black beans over it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Veggie night tonight. The wife made quinoa macaroni and cheese without the macaroni. The quinoa was the substitute for the macaroni. It was really different but very filling. I made roasted carrots with honey, garlic cloves, red onion, olive oil, S&P and a small amount of homemade broth.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
While not completely vegetarian, I mixed the wife's quinoa mac & cheese(w/o the mac) dish with scrambled eggs this morning. Just a dash of hot sauce on top. Yummy.

My wife and I have been mostly veg for about 6 years. This recipe is one of our favorites.

Navajo Stew (from Moosewood Simple Suppers Cookbook, which has a bunch of really good recipes)

Preheat oven to about 450, and lightly oil a baking sheet.

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 red or green bell peppers
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons oil of choice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Chop up vegetables into 1” pieces, and mix with oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Spread the veggies out on the baking sheet and roast them until the sweet potatoes are tender. About 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice. If you prefer, you can also cook them on the grill. I just use a veggie basket, and it usually doesn’t take quite as long, and the veggies all get a nice char

While the veggies are cooking, blend the following together…

1 15-ounce can of tomatoes
1 tablespoon canned chipotles in adobo sauce (more if you really like heat. I do, wife doesn't)
2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Once blended, mix that sauce and the cooked veggies with…

1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained.

Put everything back in the oven in a baking dish (or microwave, or heat on the stove) until hot trough. 10 minutes or so.

Then enjoy with flatbread, tortillas, lavash or pita with a little (diary or nondairy) yogurt or sour cream.

Top Bottom