What's new

I want an OC razor mild but efficient. Maybe the Merkur 1904?

The Merkur OC is the best mild open comb razor produced. That's right, I said it. It had to be said. I said it. I've used it for years with great results and still do use it from time to time. It beats the Razorock SLOC, Razorock Old Type, Razorock BBS OC, Fatip OC Slant, and Gillette NEW SC for me.

I might be tempted to try a Karve AA or A plate but after a bad run-in with the c-plate, that project is on the backburner for awhile.

I think the RazoRock Game Changer Open Comb 68 is a great razor that beats the venerable Merkur 1904. I have both, enjoy both but feel the RR is the better razor. I consider it a modern version of the Merkur.

The Merkur OC is the best mild open comb razor produced. That's right, I said it. It had to be said. I said it. I've used it for years with great results and still do use it from time to time. It beats the Razorock SLOC, Razorock Old Type, Razorock BBS OC, Fatip OC Slant, and Gillette NEW SC for me.

I might be tempted to try a Karve AA or A plate but after a bad run-in with the c-plate, that project is on the backburner for awhile.
Gee thanks. So sharper the blade the better?

Gee thanks. So sharper the blade the better?
Sometimes you have to have fun with this stuff!

I am a big fan of blade testing to see what works for your face. I don't know why certain blades work for certain people better... Coating? Bevel angle? Bevel refinement? It's razor pairing? No idea.

For me - It's hard for me to go wrong with Gillette Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue. I think the razor makes getting BBS more difficult than other razors but you said that wasn't a priority for you so it doesn't matter. That being said, I can still remember the best shave of my life on one summer day I was visiting my parents and that razor plus a GSB gave me legit BBS for like 12 to 14 hours. I wasn't even trying - no idea how it happened and I have never been able to replicate it again. On another plus side... It's also impossible to clog if you go mulitiple days. I used to think that was for all OC razors but that hasn't been the case for me all my OCs.

As has been mentioned above, the NEW long or short comb razors are outstanding. They are my favorite of all open combs I've tried and both routinely provide a very close and very comfortable shave.

Top Bottom