What's new

I want an OC razor mild but efficient. Maybe the Merkur 1904?

It is very mild and not particularly efficient. If you are after a comfortable open comb then I highly recommend Fatip. It isn't super efficient but much more so than the Merkur 41C.

I would however say that the Merkur OC head is supremely comfy and great if you are not fussed about BBS.

Last edited:
Razorock sloc/yaqi Mellon is an excellent efficient open comb razor at a very affordable price. You can't go wrong with it.

A Gillette new Improved would be an excellent vintage/antique option.

PAA El Fantasma is an interesting oc slant that is mild yet efficient.

I haven't tried tried the 1904,but from what I understand it's very mild and not the most efficient.

I've never tried the 1904 but I have tried a few open combs. My favorite by far is the .68 Timeless. A bit pricey, but it is a great razor. The Timeless open comb design is not pokey/stabby/uncomfortable as some are. It would be extremely difficult to clog. Very smooth and comfortable, etc. Disclaimer: I have no connection to Timeless other than satisfied customer.

LC or SC New is the best answer, if you aren't averse to vintage razors. The Old Type and the New Improved are both more aggressive than what it sounds like you are looking for.

I agree with the others that the Merkur 1904 is overly mild and too inefficient.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Have a look at RazoRock's BBS-OC. It is intentionally mild, and I must say they've achieved that goal. :) I had the BBS and it was too mild for me; put an OC plate under it and it's almost too mild but gives a decent shave.

Unless I'm forgetting one, the BBS-OC is my only plain DE razor.

O.H.

Something brand new, look at the Razorock SLOC, you can use the handle of your choice. Just don't get something real heavy, it will make the razor unbalanced. Lighter is better in this case.

Vintage, I'd suggest a Gillette New LC or SC, just as long as the teeth are straight. I have a replated New SC which is a favorite, and can be mild with the right blades.

You could also try a Karve open comb, in one of the milder plates (A or B).

I was just typing this before I noticed this had been mentioned already. You could even go down to AA.

Tatara is kind of the definition of "mild but efficient"; they have an open comb option for one of their razors (although the blade exposure with that plate is a little unclear to me).

1706487838289.jpeg

And another vote for OLD type Gillette. Of my 41 razors my Rotbart Old Type clone is #1. My actual Gillette Old Type is #5 after the Schick Type A, Eclipse Red Ring, and Karve.

Top Bottom