What's new

I Took The Plunge!

I just finished my first shave with a straight razor! Whew!!!! I bought a Gold Dollar from buca3152, like so many people here. I bought a strop and this morning was my day to try it. I've been shaving with a DE for the better part of ten years and have always been curious about straights. I read up on them here, watched a lot of video and I was ready.

So much of what I read said, "Just go ahead and do it." I went very slowly, of course, and only did one pass because I became pressed for time. I didn't have any cuts or weepers, which was quite a relief! I struggled with grip and angles, as you might suspect. A lot of that was because I don't usually use my left hand when I shave. I did today, though. I was also a bit surprised because my hand started shaking as I brought the blade to my skin. After the first stroke, when I saw that my face was still attached to my head, I calmed down.

I finished up with my Gillette New and look forward to my next straight shave adventure!!!

Thanks to buca3152 for the razor and advice, and to everyone here for this great resource!!

Until next time... :straight:

Very nice!! Sounds like you did very well for your first time! Yeah Buca is doing a great service by selling those shave ready GD's - it's a great way for a newb to get their feet wet....

Your confidence will come with time...you'll get there, don't worry!!

Congrats on the first straight shave!!!
It only gets easier but, watch out for overconfidence!
Overconfidence leads to carelessness and carelessness leads to nicks... more so than DE shaving.
Have fun!!!

proxy.php

Thanks, everyone! Next time will be 2 passes for sure. I may not have time during the week to do it, but I'll spend my weekend with it.

You should go start a post in the shave journal area and keep a journal going. It's a great way to get feedback and then being able to talk through troubles. I have found it invaluable.

congrats....I am now on my 22nd shave and today I was able to get 90% BBS with a bit of fuzz still on the right side of my neck. It is hands down the most relaxing and best part of my day now....DE shaving for a few years was great....BUT this feels like art. The R.Hibbert I picked up from Doc226 has a phenomenal edge on it and I am sure that had something to do with it. Enjoy the journey and keep the wallet handy.

JB

Well, I shaved for the second time with the straight today. I did two passes today, one WTG and one ATG. I also shaved my upper lip and under my nose today, which I didn't do with the straight last time.

I nicked myself in three places and got some of the worst irritation I've ever had on my neck. All in all, I know it can get better. I'm going to take a break from the straight for a while to take part in OCtober. I'll be back to this, though!

Try a lower angle and use the straight daily for the easy parts of the face if you can. Proper stretching can prevent cuts. Time will show you how to hold it in different positions and the different strokes.

Yeah, I definitely need to work on it! I was more comfortable the second time than the first, which may have led to some of the irritation. I need to keep it WTG for a while. I'm not giving up after only two tries!!

Top Bottom