What's new

I think I've been had - Fat Boy?

I've just returned to DE shaving after many years and have been wanting to try a Fat Boy. I bought a razor on e-bay that was lsited as a Fat Boy, but now that I have it in my hands I'm not so sure it is. First of all, the code is H-3 or 1962. I thought Gillette stopped making the FB in 1961 - is that right? Second of all, it's not very "fat"; it's only marginally thicker than my 1956 SS. Is there a "tell" for FB that I can check?

Sorry, but I can't manage to upload pictures. The "Manager" just spins (long enough for my computer to time out). I'll keep trying that.

Fleabay has so many fatboys that aren't it's sometimes hilarious. On a brighter note, I want to like my FB a lot more than my Slim but they're both just darn good razors. If you didn't pay a "fatboy premium" then it may be all good. You could hold the seller accountable and ask for at least a partial refund but you have to weigh frustration on your part to enforce the principle of the matter. Are pics still online from the original auction?

Is it an adjustable?

If so, it's probably a Slim.

See this thread for the differences;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Slim-from-a-Fatboy-Guide-(-and-other-things-)

Thanks for the link to that thread. Pretty much settles it; the razor I bought is a Slim. I'm not real upset, just feel a little foolish since the listing did include the H-3 date code. Should have done research BEFORE I bought, DUH! I also do like the Slim. Still, I think I'll ask for a partial refund and give the seller negative feedback.

full

full

There's your pictures for you. If you're still dead set on getting a Fat Boy, keep an eye on the Buy/Sell/Trade (or post in the WTB sub forum...I forget if there's minimum requirements to post there though....). At least you know your chances of getting the right razor are higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Slim. That being said, if it's a nice razor, and even if you did pay the Fatboy premium, you still have a great razor that you can enjoy using for many years to come. An, if you would rather have a FB, they show up on the B/S/T from time to time, at pretty reasonable prices.

First communicate with the seller before leaving negative feedback. Check his sales history and see if he is a regular selling razors...he may be ignorant and did not know the difference between a FB and a Slim. See if he will refund your payment, he may end up giving you a full refund. If after all attempts are made and you have no resolve, then feel free to give the negative feedback.

H3 is a slim. Gotta watch ebay, sellers will list all razors as a fatboy since they are popular. It makes sure their razors pop up when somebody searches even if its not one. It also means they can sell the product to somebody not knowing any better, sometimes at a price way higher than it normally would.

I real fatboy when the tto is closed measures

Bottom of head to handle end 3 inches

Head is 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 1 5/8 long.

Tto knob is 1/2 inch wide

Last edited:
It's a Slim. That being said, if it's a nice razor, and even if you did pay the Fatboy premium, you still have a great razor that you can enjoy using for many years to come. An, if you would rather have a FB, they show up on the B/S/T from time to time, at pretty reasonable prices.

+1. It happens. The person who listed it might have thought it was a Fat Boy, to some they all look the same, especially if they know nothing about razors. You still did ok.

+1 on not jumping straight to negative feedback - people do genuinely mix up fatboys and slims, and it could easily be a genuine mistake.

Here is an example, Ebay has it listed as Bostonian..but look at the pic, its a super speed.

Gillette Bostontonian Razor in Box 7 Blades & Blade Box
Item condition: Used
Price: US $89.99
Buy It NowBuy It Now
Best Offer:
Make OfferMake Offer

Add to Watch list

Shipping: FREE Expedited Shipping
| See all shipping details
Delivery:
Estimated between Sat. Oct. 22 and Mon. Oct. 24 help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Returns:
30 days money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details

Attachments

• $canvas.jpg
    $canvas.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 216
I guess it all boils down to what you wanted and what your prepared to do about it, considering the listing you say was wrong, then you are entitled to return it and get your money back.

Recently I saw a listing on eBay that said it was a Red Tip Fat Boy razor. I PMed the seller and told him it was a Red Tip which was a good razor. I told him the FB was an adjustable razor and the razor he was selling was a Red Tip. He thanked me. However, he did not change the listing.

Turns out there are still some people of honesty and inetgrity using e-bay. The seller appears to have made an honest mistake, listing a Slim as a Fat Boy. When I pointed it out and requested a partial refund, the seller apologized and promptly processed the requested refund. Pleasant surprise.

If the listing had pictures and a date code, you couldn't have been had, unless one or both of those things were not correct.

Turns out there are still some people of honesty and inetgrity using e-bay. The seller appears to have made an honest mistake, listing a Slim as a Fat Boy. When I pointed it out and requested a partial refund, the seller apologized and promptly processed the requested refund. Pleasant surprise.
Yep, theres still plenty of decent people out there. I had a problem with a blue tip that never arrived and got a refund straight up. :)

Top Bottom