What's new

I think I might be a tick dissapointed...

A month or two ago, I baught a nice EJ Super badger XL. I know its hairs aren't trimmed and it's REALLY dense. It has a nice backbone and lathers rather quickly. But I'm doubtfull whether I really like it... It kind of holds TOO MUCH water:scared: Didn't know that was even possible! And the softness of the tips isn't what I expected, reading its reviews. It has cost me a lot of money, so I really don't want to get rid of it. Could it just be me being TOO demanding on softness? Or is there no other option than silvertip? (In the case of silvertip, I won't go with EJ, because I've already felt the density and it's half of the Super badger.)

Can anyone tell me what I might have to save up for?

PS: I think that the brush is SO dense, it has barely bloomed at all...

The bristles may become softer with extensive use in the future.
Good alternative imo is Rooneys Heritage two band, which is fairly soft but not obtainable in Europe...so M&F blonde badger could be a good second choice...

Some brushes do seem to need a bit of a break in period so use it several more times and then see how you feel about it. DrP knows a lot more than I do about brushes but I'm not sure you'll find a two band brush as soft as what you have. I recently bought a 3 band Thater that is really soft so they should be worth a look too. What's difficult is that we all have different expectations of what soft might be. So rather than get another you won't like just use yours a while longer before making a decision. If you think it is holding too much water just give it a few more shakes before using it to lather.

It kind of holds TOO MUCH water:scared:
Just get the brush as dry as possible when loading.

And the softness of the tips isn't what I expected, reading its reviews. It has cost me a lot of money, so I really don't want to get rid of it. Could it just be me being TOO demanding on softness?
No idea as I'm not sure what you're expecting. I wouldn't hang on to a brush I didn't care for...

The bristles may become softer with extensive use in the future.
Good alternative imo is Rooneys Heritage two band, which is fairly soft but not obtainable in Europe...so M&F blonde badger could be a good second choice...

+1 on both suggestions, Peter!

Ken

If you are worried about the money, just throw it up on the BST to recoup some of your cash, then buy something else. If you are looking for softer you could try a silver tip from someone or you could try a nice Semogue boar or a Vie-Long horse. The last two take a little break in time (the boar more than the horse) but once broken in I find them very soft. Not as soft as my silver tip brushes, but softer than my super badger. Of course as someone else said, YMMV. Good luck :) .

I don't think it's justified to get rid of a brush after just 2 months. One of the most important reasons I bought the EJ, was I could buy it in a brick and mortar store. I know it's stupid, but I have yet to buy something online and it's a big threshold for me...

Top Bottom