What's new

Two types of Muhle Silvertip Badger knots

Muhle make some rather nice shaving gear, notably the iconic R41 razor and the highly regarded 25mm STF (Silvertip Fibre) knot that is used in many artisan brushes.

However, Muhle's silvertip badger brushes are rather more polarising to people. Some like them, many think them too floppy. Perhaps the following may explain why:

Recently I have been comparing a Rocca 21mm silvertip badger brush with a Stylo 21mm silvertip badger brush. In short, the knots are not the same...

For reference the Stylo brush is on the left and the Rocca brush is on the right:

IMG_20230821_191014652~2.jpg

IMG_20230821_190859548~2.jpg

In use the Stylo is less dense, has a taller loft and splays very easily. The Rocca is denser, has a shorter loft but still splays easily. I really like both of them 👍

Excluding a special edition knot, Muhle offers two different replacement 21mm silvertip badger knots:

Screenshot_20230822-135631~2.png

Alas, the images appear to be the same whereas the knots in reality are different.

Oh no, now I want that Hexagon even more! I had finally forgotten about it…

do it jewish GIF

I have one in the bronze colour and it is a great handle shape. Although I regret not getting the green one because then I could play matchy-matchy with a tub of Proraso Green :)

This is useful to know. I wonder if other owners can confirm the higher loft on their Purist/Stylo/Cosmo knots, just to be sure it’s not an aberration. From the two brushes in the photo there’s a large difference in the loft which is much more than I’d expect within tolerance for the same knot specifications.

Were the brushes bought around the same time? Or could Mühle have changed their knot specs in the meantime? It does seem that the trend these days is toward denser, lower lofts with more backbone.

Personally I like a high loft so this is interesting.

Oh no, now I want that Hexagon even more! I had finally forgotten about it…
For what it’s worth, I have one of those brushes with the birch bark handle and the cylindrical handle shape wasn’t the most comfortable for me to hold. Mine was a 21mm knot though, so it might have been the narrow diameter. One thing to consider before you click ‘buy’.

Ooof, I just had a look and now I remember why I didn't buy the Hexagon! Even if it's a different part number, there is no guarantee that the knot will bloom out like the one on the right in the first post. That's too much money to gamble and be disappointed. Looking at the replacement heads, only the Edition one looks like what I would want.

This is useful to know. I wonder if other owners can confirm the higher loft on their Purist/Stylo/Cosmo knots, just to be sure it’s not an aberration. From the two brushes in the photo there’s a large difference in the loft which is much more than I’d expect within tolerance for the same knot specifications.

Were the brushes bought around the same time? Or could Mühle have changed their knot specs in the meantime? It does seem that the trend these days is toward denser, lower lofts with more backbone.

Personally I like a high loft so this is interesting.
Both are very recent purchases from Muhle in London so I don't think it's a spec change (but one never knows).

For what it’s worth, I have one of those brushes with the birch bark handle and the cylindrical handle shape wasn’t the most comfortable for me to hold. Mine was a 21mm knot though, so it might have been the narrow diameter. One thing to consider before you click ‘buy’.
I do agree that the Rocca handle is perhaps a wee bit severe in its shape but so far I haven't found the base uncomfortable to hold :)

and just to clarify, the knots in the Stylo and the Rocca handle are both 21mm.

Here are two different brushes purchased within two months and they were supposed to have exactly the same knot, the "Silvertip Badger".

Left side: Muhle Sophist (L size knot), Product number: 93 P 84
Right side: Muhle Classic (L size knot), Product number: 93 K 257

Both brushes were used about 20 times. The knots are nice and soft, the one on the Sophist has a tiny bit more backbone and splays nicely. The one on the Classic is floppier and does not splay that well. Love them both, so I don't mind it that much.

IMG_6716.jpeg
IMG_6717.jpeg

Assuming that the differences with my Stylo and Rocca brushes is not becasue of sloppy knot making (and I don't for a minute think that is the case) I can only conclude that Muhle do indeed produce two different silvertip badger knots. I also can't help but think that they have missed a trick here...

If, like most other manufacturers, they provided better dimensional descriptions of their knots then us hobbyists (as well as those far less nerdy than us) could make better purchasing decisions.

It would probably make brush comparisons more accurate as well. I've often heard people describe Muhle's silvertip badger brushes as floppy, but if my Stylo/Rocca experience is anything to go by then only the Stylo/Purist/Kosmo brushes could be accused of being floppy. By comparison, the Rocca/Hexagon/Traditional brushes are certainly not floppy - in fact the knot is superb. I may even go so far as to say I am genuinely surprised that artisan brush makers do not offer this knot alongside the 25mm STF that they invariably do offer.

I shall however continue to enjoy the different characteristics that these 2 brushes provide :)

Here are two different brushes purchased within two months and they were supposed to have exactly the same knot, the "Silvertip Badger".

Left side: Muhle Sophist (L size knot), Product number: 93 P 84
Right side: Muhle Classic (L size knot), Product number: 93 K 257

Both brushes were used about 20 times. The knots are nice and soft, the one on the Sophist has a tiny bit more backbone and splays nicely. The one on the Classic is floppier and does not splay that well. Love them both, so I don't mind it that much.

View attachment 1706106View attachment 1706108
That is indeed quite a difference (they both look great btw). If this variance is not down to poor knot tying then I do wish Muhle provided better specs in their product descriptions. Just think of all the fun nerds like us could have ;)

Top Bottom