What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

Here's a thought, as. Far as risk to Gillette's existing cartridge market, what if the new Gillette DE razors take proprietary blades?

... Sign me up for a limited edition toggle :yesnod:

... Can you say Fatboy? Sure, I knew you could! He did specifically mention the Fatboy. But first the Tech.

This is very surprising news, but I doubt I will ever buy a modern Gillette knock-off of a vintage Gillette razor.
Why not? I already own dozens of vintage Gillettes. There is no chance that the knock-off version is going to be better.

I'm really looking forward to this concept evolving into a revival of these:

:001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
So who care right! Well, still playing pretend here - what is relevant to us is what would happen to our marketplace? Would prices drop like a rock or sky rocket? Id venture to suggest that they would sky rocket. For two reasons 1) new de users will make their way to our boards and learn how cool vintage is, and then want their own and 2) current vintage users (us) would collective do a land grab for all the razors on the market for fear of losing out on the higher quality razors.

I would venture to say that Gillette would never release a DE if they thought it would make a dent in their overall market. And the greater shaving public is not interested in DE. The question is, what would happen if they did issue a genuinely good Tech? Here is where it really depends on how effective their marketing is. If it's just a sop to the higher end and seems like a nice but not essential collectible, it will have zero to no effect on us in the longer run. The likelihood that this would dramatically affect the vintage market would depend very heavily on the new razor being sufficiently nice and very well-marketed to the point that DE shaving becomes a high end, must-have fad. Think of Mad Men clothing levels of attention. Only then would your worst fears come true. Barring that, this will do little to affect the general trends.

DE shaving is a small albeit growing market that will never be dominant in the West and this will merely ride that trend's coattails. High end demand is inelastic with respect to the price of this new razor. And the low end market is only sensitive to close substitutes to cartridge razors like Harry's or Dollar Shave Club. Most people have inelastic preferences with respect to cartridge vs. DE and that won't change much.

If they really wanted to milk our market, they would be best off to have a really fantastic product that is also outrageously priced. Think of a Feather ASD2 or ATT level steel razor that they charge $400 for and issue only as a numbered limited edition.

I would venture to say that Gillette would never release a DE if they thought it would make a dent in their overall market. And the greater shaving public is not interested in DE. The question is, what would happen if they did issue a genuinely good Tech? Here is where it really depends on how effective their marketing is. If it's just a sop to the higher end and seems like a nice but not essential collectible, it will have zero to no effect on us in the longer run. The likelihood that this would dramatically affect the vintage market would depend very heavily on the new razor being sufficiently nice and very well-marketed to the point that DE shaving becomes a high end, must-have fad. Think of Mad Men clothing levels of attention. Only then would your worst fears come true. Barring that, this will do little to affect the general trends.

DE shaving is a small albeit growing market that will never be dominant in the West and this will merely ride that trend's coattails. High end demand is inelastic with respect to the price of this new razor. And the low end market is only sensitive to close substitutes to cartridge razors like Harry's or Dollar Shave Club. Most people have inelastic preferences with respect to cartridge vs. DE and that won't change much.

If they really wanted to milk our market, they would be best off to have a really fantastic product that is also outrageously priced. Think of a Feather ASD2 or ATT level steel razor that they charge $400 for and issue only as a numbered limited edition.

Shaving product manufactures make their profit on "consumables"

Blades
Shaving creams
Aftershaves

Most would willingly give away their razors to lock the end user into the expensive consumables that go along with that free razor.

Marketing a "limited edition" (limited to how many stipid people shell out good money for it) EXPENSIVE razor ONCE A YEAR would be a marketing bonanza.

The free advertising (today show, tonight show, and all of the social medial buzz) would be used to promote and sell their mainstream products. A relitivly small number of high end collectables will actually be sold but the talk about them would be 1000 times the value of production.

Putting out a different "collectable" each year will enhance the prestige of the company. I mean come on.... gold plated razors.... in the 21st century.... Palladium plated razors. silver sets.

They could go for years and years of promotion for their multi blade main stream products.

I hope they NEVER do this as it will make the already inflated prices on older razors go well beyond what I would be willing to pay.

Hello again all, I just got a return call from the local AOS manager as a result of a request for more information I left on their telephone answering machine. The re released Gillette Tech will be available in stores in May. The Fat Handle Tech is the Tech that will be on the market first. If sales go well, there are plans for other models. The limited edition Tech will be also available in May. It will be numbered and in a case. The other tech will also be a Fat Handle Tech, but not numbered and without a case. He did not know what material the Techs would be made of, nor where they would be made.

Let's not forget the main objective of any business is to make money. Its not about serving the whims and desires of those of us in a small wet shaving community. If Gillette thinks they can make money by a reissue of a Tech...then we will likely see this come to fruition. However, they will have to compete with a plethora of other DE razor makers...many of whom produce a fine product at a reasonable cost. From a marketing point of view they will have the Gillette name to play on, but it will still have to be a quality product to get those of us with an interest to put our money on the table.

proxy.php

Ok found it. It looked like a fat handle tech.

This would be an excellent model to re-introduce people to DE shaving. And if they start selling these it's going to be a huge. I'd buy one, gotta admit.

We could only speculate at this point. P&G owns Gillette AND owns Art of Shaving. AoS has a long history of various exclusive styles of whatever was the current cartridge model, before and after their acquisition by P&G. It would not be out of character for a P&G/Gillette model to appear at AoS and nowhere else.
Besides, they have to come up with something that would bring Internet-savvy DE shavers back into their pricey stores.

This makes the most sense to me also. And answers the question, Why the employee at AoS knows about it before others?
Also helps keep the old campaign intact.
$tumblr_n4zw3aa3fM1qkegsbo5_500.jpg

I'm not buying it unless it's made in America......simple as that. So....the way things are in the world now, I probably won't be buying it.

My car was built in Delaware, my Motorcycle in Pennsylvania, and yes, my ATT Kronos is made in the USA. I'm with you on that.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hello again all, I just got a return call from the local AOS manager as a result of a request for more information I left on their telephone answering machine. The re released Gillette Tech will be available in stores in May. The Fat Handle Tech is the Tech that will be on the market first. If sales go well, there are plans for other models. The limited edition Tech will be also available in May. It will be numbered and in a case. The other tech will also be a Fat Handle Tech, but not numbered and without a case. He did not know what material the Techs would be made of, nor where they would be made.
Thanks for the info Morman Bridge. Seems it's on its way. I'm guessing they are testing the waters to see if and how much people will pay.

Cordially
Adam

Here is an email I recieved just a little while ago-

Hello Alan,

It's terrific to hear that you are connoisseur of the finer things in life and an admirer of the new Gillette Double Edge Razor. We hope you’ll appreciate that there are times when one has to play their cards close to the chest when it comes to rumored releases. We promise to share any news with The Art of Shaving’s Brotherhood as soon as new products are available - In the meantime, we encourage you to consider The Art of Shaving’s safety razor’s. Our safety razor’s are beautifully designed, handily weighted and destined to be legends themselves.

Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with at this time.

Regards,
Customer Service
The Art of Shaving

If they release stainless steel version of pre-war or flat-bottom Tech under 50 bucks, they'll get hearts of half of the community...
Since Art of Shaving priced their version of the Fusion at $175, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a competitive price...

Top Bottom