What's new

I Survived Using A Weck Sextoblade...

TL;DR - I used a Weck Sextoblade Razor for the very first time and lived to tell the tale...

Background - during some bantering, I posted that I'd like to try a Shavette. @imatabor generously offed to let me try his Weck razor. I accepted and this morning was my very first time using a Shavette style razor. I'm mostly a DE shaver but sometimes use a GD straight.

Equipment - Weck Razor (with the Guard!), Personna blade, B&M Reserve Spice soap

The Razor:
WeckHairShaper.jpg

The Shave - (crawl, walk, run) so this being my first go, I took things very slow and stayed within my comfort zone. Nervously touched the bottom of the guard to my cheek, rotated the razor to what I think is a good angle, and made my first stroke. Wait!! I didn't die!! Ok, stroke 2 and more!! Kept very light pressure and shaved my cheek and neck WTG. On the right side (I'm right handed) everything was ok (did get a weeper), but left side was awkward. First time with this razor so I'm a newbie at this, some awkwardness is to be expected. I cleaned up my chin and mustache are with my DE (hey, comfort zone in the tricky areas while learning). Shave 2 tomorrow!!

I was given a Weck as part of my gift in the Mr. Bingle Gift Exchange. I've used straights before and a Feather DX, but the Weck is scarier looking then all of them. Need to work up some courage and give it a try!

this morning was my very first time using a Shavette style razor. I'm mostly a DE shaver but sometimes use a GD straight.
Welcome aboard! I was you a few months ago, but had a steeper climb because (a) my Sextoblade had no guard, and (b) I had never shaved with anything but a safety razor before. I wrote about it in this thread.

Today, I can shave with reckless abandon with the Weck (no guard) and slightly prefer it to my straights.

Thank you @FarmerTan, @imatabor, @Gamma, @meanpr, and @rudyt for the kind words and encouragement!!

@rudyt, DUDE!! I experienced 2 cuts and a weeper just reading about your learning curve!! I am now so thankful that @imatabor included the guard!! I am not ashamed to admit that I appreciate a good set of training wheels!! I'm also staying with WTG passes while I get the feel of the Weck and cleaning up with my DE (stay in your comfort zone and stay out of the ER). You're amazing for sticking with it until you became comfortable shaving with the Weck!!

@meanpr, it's actually as a result of the banter during this year's Mr. Bingle Gift Exchange that @imatabor offer to let me try his Weck. It shaves similar to my GD straight (but the guard definitely helps). PS don't read @rudyt journal until after you've given it a go...just saying...

You're amazing for sticking with it until you became comfortable shaving with the Weck!!
Yes, I am amazing, although my wife spells it s-t-u-b-b-o-r-n ;-)

My major problem (i think) was that I am very right handed. My only constructive advice to anyone (which I always fail to heed) is if it feels wrong, stop. Trying to hit an angle you're not comfortable with often results in a cut.

The guard actually makes everything easy. Purists may disagree, but in my case, it would have helped ... a lot.

Keep at it - it's definitely worth the effort. I've picked up a safety razor less than 10x since I started straight and shavette shaving in August.

Thank you for the concern, @imatabor!! I SURVIVED SHAVE 2!! (Sorry for the delay, Sundays are busy days for me in a good way)

Equipment - Weck Razor (and I'm sticking with the Guard!!), Personna blade (2nd shave), Stirling Barbershop

Shave #2 - I felt a lot more comfortable with this shave, was easier to find the right angle, and I'm using the guard with a very light touch. I did a 2-WTG-passes on my cheeks and neck, resulting in a smooth shave with 1 weeper on my neck. This shave I tried switching hands (I'm right handed, but use my left hand for part of my regular shaving so it wasn't terribly awkward shaving) and this worked out great. Was still a little nervous but no where close to the first shave (though I'm still finishing the tricky areas with my DE)

Notable Change - switching hand worked for me (right hand for right side, left hand for left side) and switching soaps seemed to help (from B&M to Stirling).

PS @GearNoir, YES!! There should be commemorative t-shirts!!

Thank you for the concern, @imatabor!! I SURVIVED SHAVE 2!! (Sorry for the delay, Sundays are busy days for me in a good way)

Equipment - Weck Razor (and I'm sticking with the Guard!!), Personna blade (2nd shave), Stirling Barbershop

Shave #2 - I felt a lot more comfortable with this shave, was easier to find the right angle, and I'm using the guard with a very light touch. I did a 2-WTG-passes on my cheeks and neck, resulting in a smooth shave with 1 weeper on my neck. This shave I tried switching hands (I'm right handed, but use my left hand for part of my regular shaving so it wasn't terribly awkward shaving) and this worked out great. Was still a little nervous but no where close to the first shave (though I'm still finishing the tricky areas with my DE)

Notable Change - switching hand worked for me (right hand for right side, left hand for left side) and switching soaps seemed to help (from B&M to Stirling).

PS @GearNoir, YES!! There should be commemorative t-shirts!!
its-alive.gif

Remember with the soap you want slick and not fluff. I make mine wet like yogurt.

View attachment 848797

Remember with the soap you want slick and not fluff. I make mine wet like yogurt.
Great advice!! Any and all tips and pointer greatly appreciated!!

Shave #3 Is In The Books!!

Equipment - Weck Razor, Personna blade (3rd shave), Stirling Ozark Mountain

Shave #3 - Right side going well, even attempted to clean up around my ear. Left side will take some time to groove a good (and safe) stroke. Very close shave on my cheeks and neck, but did get a weeper near my chin. Overall, this is a great experience so far...and I just realized that we have a Sally Beauty in our area. Might have to visit the 'bay and acquire one of these razors!!

Confession - since I have today off, I thought I'd go for a full-face (cheeks, neck, chin, mustache, etc) shave with the Weck, but bailed when I got a weeper on my chin. Aaarrrggghhh!!

Looks like you might was well go get your degree facial surgery while you’re at it. :001_tt2:

You can do it, tame the beast!

Top Bottom