What's new

I need a reamer

Picked up one one the SP oyster jobs, need to hone the rough edges off. Look like it should do the job when I get to needing it.

I hear ya. Now I need to go look for my oyster shuckin' knives and try one of them.

Dag nabbit...there is always something else to try. But it's getting to be oyster season, so it wouldn't hurt to dig the oyster knives out.

Now I need to go to the Louisiana coast or Savannah again for fresh oysters...it never ends.

I'm turning off the computer.
LOL. Same here. This one looks perfect:

Dexter Russell Traditional 2 3/8" Oyster Knife Providence Pattern 10161 23

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
LOL. Same here. This one looks perfect:

Dexter Russell Traditional 2 3/8" Oyster Knife Providence Pattern 10161 23

proxy.php

I have two of 'em that I need to dig out, but it's been ages since I shucked an oyster and I wasn't that great at it. I've seen guys that work in oyster bars that can....

Although I use the Senior pipe reamer type with good result and ease of use. If I were to rethink my purchase I would probably go for the Pipenet / Castleford style reamer kit with multiple cutting heads, it just looks bullet proof to me as far as ease of use and precision. the sharp oyster knife also looks like a good option for the dexterous among us and it just doesn't get any simpler than a knife. One option that has been touted by some pipe makers / repairers is just using a wooden dowel with sandpaper rolled around it. Many choices all seem to be good.

I got a reamer that came with a handle and 4 different sized heads. I've yet to come close to needing it. I either smoke too little, or smoke too much in cobs/meerschaum...

I got a reamer that came with a handle and 4 different sized heads. I've yet to come close to needing it. I either smoke too little, or smoke too much in cobs/meerschaum...
There is something to be said about that. Only my Latakia/ English /Balkan dedicated pipes seem to build cake any where near an amount I would consider and do have to trim. I only have 4 pipes dedicated to those blends. On the other hand my 15 or so other pipes I smoke Virginias /Perique / Burley blends and they build cake very slowly and since I rotate quite a few I rarely touch them. I equate this with my straight razor collection of 30 or more that only seem to need honing once in like 2 years lol. Trimming cake isn't something I do that often on my pipes but it does need to be done at some point. I guess if you only have 2 or 3 pipes you might be trimming cake fairly often.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that simple is better. So many tampers, Czech tools, and other what-have-yous have something like this on 'em:

20181003_062343.jpg

And that's what I use. Some have more rounded ends, but they all get the job done easily if you use them often. Typically, I give each bowl a quick, very gently sweep when I'm done (to get any stuck bits out, if nothing else).

Yes, the T-handle "systems" really are more for restoration than maintenance.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
7C6D5AE3-D874-4052-80D5-7254E62BD581.jpeg

Reamer came in today. Had a heck of a burr on it so I gave it a few passes on the ceramic rod.
Works very well, although it’s hard to see what going on in the dark pit of a pipe bowl.
Also found that my English pipe cake seems a bit softer/more oily/damp than my Va pipe cakes.

View attachment 917258

Reamer came in today. Had a heck of a burr on it so I gave it a few passes on the ceramic rod.
Works very well, although it’s hard to see what going on in the dark pit of a pipe bowl.
Also found that my English pipe cake seems a bit softer/more oily/damp than my Va pipe cakes.

Very nice! Might have to grab one sometime. I've got 4 or 5 different types of reamers now I think. Butner style, senor style, the castleford style, a small pipe knife on a tamper, and a couple three sided scrapers.

The scrapers are similar to the Decatur three side reamer but I have to grind point off of them. I used the castleford and butner style most on estates but also have had good results from the scrapers. Each have situations that they are better in. But I believe the scraper style ones are the most universal and work in the most situations. I've mostly used them on estates though. I swab the chamber after smoking so most of my pipes haven't built up any thick cake yet.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
View attachment 917258

You’ll learn to discern what’s going on by the feel of the blade cutting the cake. Go slow, scrape thin layers off a section and work your way around the bowl and up and down, taking care around the rim and near the draft hole. Takes a few pipes, but then you’ll have it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ 1 on the Pipenet. The Scotte mentioned above is ever-so-similar to the Pipenet, but it has 5 blade attachments as opposed to 4 for the Pipenet.

I picked up a Dunhill reamer set deeply discounted some years back. Never had to use it. Like someone else commented I don't seem to build up much. Two pipes that did need tlc got flushed with warm water and the stem flushed with water and detergent. Dried with soft cloth and pipe cleaners, left disassembled for several days. Worked like a charm. Learned that from an old pipe shop guy in England.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 917258

That is my experience, too

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I got to thinking WHY do I need to pull out my oyster knives and put a little edge on them. I have a Rodgers pipe knife. Works great.

Touched up the edge of it where it's sharp, but not razor sharp, and used it to trim the inside of a Charatan yesterday. And it's a folder...try carrying around an oyster knife in your pocket. :biggrin1:

Pipe Tools & Supplies Joseph Rodgers Gentleman's Smokers Knife with Multi-coloured Inlay | Buy Pipe Tools & Supplies Pipe Accessories at Smokingpipes

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Shef...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9V4SJD73BPV8XXBHQZ45

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I got to thinking WHY do I need to pull out my oyster knives and put a little edge on them. I have a Rodgers pipe knife. Works great.

Touched up the edge of it where it's sharp, but not razor sharp, and used it to trim the inside of a Charatan yesterday. And it's a folder...try carrying around an oyster knife in your pocket. :biggrin1:

Pipe Tools & Supplies Joseph Rodgers Gentleman's Smokers Knife with Multi-coloured Inlay | Buy Pipe Tools & Supplies Pipe Accessories at Smokingpipes

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Shef...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9V4SJD73BPV8XXBHQZ45

View attachment 924194

That cool man

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

View attachment 924194
I like that. One of these days I am going to get that fancy French made one, but this one probably comes better under budget (can't click the link at work)

on edit: I just saw the Amazon link. I added it to my list.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like that. One of these days I am going to get that fancy French made one, but this one probably comes better under budget (can't click the link at work)

on edit: I just saw the Amazon link. I added it to my list.

I'm thinking about getting a bone or antler scaled one when ever I find one in stock. I got the black scaled one as I thought it looked a bit better than the stainless steel one...but that's just me. My Case Stockman pocket knife works well, but with the rounded tip on the Rodgers I can scrape the bottom of the bowl easier. I've had the Rodgers for several years.

I haven't done a restore yet, just regular maintenance, but if I ever do a restore I may pick up the Castleford.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm thinking about getting a bone or antler scaled one when ever I find one in stock. I got the black scaled one as I thought it looked a bit better than the stainless steel one...but that's just me. My Case Stockman pocket knife works well, but with the rounded tip on the Rodgers I can scrape the bottom of the bowl easier. I've had the Rodgers for several years.

I haven't done a restore yet, just regular maintenance, but if I ever do a restore I may pick up the Castleford.
Bone or antler takes it up a notch.

Top Bottom